Author Topic: Stator failed  (Read 7993 times)

Offline paul.chucky

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: leeds
Re: Stator failed
Reply #40 on: 07 May, 2021, 09:39:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Happy days

;ets get some like minded old farts together n meet n go 4 for it  ffs  before lockdown 7  :046: :046:
waters wet s**t stinks

Offline Jimav

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000/06
  • City / Town: Athens
Reply #41 on: 08 May, 2021, 08:11:10 AM
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Sorry ,Jim but didn't quite understand your message there. Ed.

My tech guy told me that if you change Regulator, it is possible to have damage to Alternator.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #42 on: 08 May, 2021, 02:38:42 PM
The confusion here is in describing the components.

The Alternator comprises of Stator, Flywheel, Regulator and Rectifier where the Regulator and Rectifier is a single sealed MOSFET R/R unit.

Unclear how a R/R would damage the Stator or how a Stator would damage a R/R.

Offline Jimav

• CBF Member
Reply #43 on: 09 May, 2021, 08:06:09 AM
Very Easy
Regulator Short Circuit destroys Alternator.

As "expert" said.

Offline Mark91

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF-1000 SC64
  • City / Town: Markaz
Reply #44 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:15:04 PM
Dear All,

I would ask somebody who more experienced than me.
In case of stator or rectifier issue, would be a possbile solution to connect a jump starter to the battery on  the way to home?

https://www.amazon.in/70mai-Starter-Battery-Current-11100mAH/dp/B07XLZ1CFT

Thank you.
Mark

Offline Jimav

• CBF Member
Reply #45 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:37:58 PM
When i had the same problem, i charged the battery and the engine started with no problem.
But i suppose that it will keep working until the battery is drained.
So it is not a good idea.

Jim

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #46 on: 19 June, 2021, 06:06:21 PM
A failed stator simply means there is reduced or no voltage output from the stator to the regulator/rectifier which means that the charging system is doing nothing and the battery is not being charged, continued use will result in a discharged, flat battery and the engine cutting out. To get you home you can boost, recharge or replace the battery, you may need to do this more than once because with the battery not being charged it will continually discharge resulting in a flat battery and the engine cutting out.

A failed regulator rectifier is very different and may cause the battery to over charge. Over charging the battery will eventually destroy it causing it to be unable to hold a charge or worse cause it to explode.

Offline Mark91

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF-1000 SC64
  • City / Town: Markaz
Reply #47 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:48:41 PM
Thank you for your answers.

The reason why I asked it, because last time when my strator blow up and my battery was low I was 20 km from home. So in this case in the future I would like to use this battery pack. Easier to connect is than install a completely other type of battery.

When the rectifier broke down, this is also broke the stator or not? Because it start to regulate to much loading from the generator and after the generator blow up. But maybe yes, in case of rectifier issue not the best to connect is to the battery.

Offline aerial bender

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: MT-01, CCM R30,C
  • City / Town: Hoddesdon
Re: Stator failed - AGAIN
Reply #48 on: 20 July, 2021, 06:30:45 PM
Mine failed abt 3 years ago & I got a replacement from Wemoto - Electrex? - I don't use the bike much as I've got others but, the weekend just gone, (HOT weather!)  it burned out on me again & left me stranded in Worthing.

I called the RAC, Via Bennets and they charged me 361 to get the bike rescued to Cambridge. The reason? the MOT had expired!!

So I got fleeced cos I'd forgotten the MOT - be warned pilgrims, the scurrilous insurance/rescue companies will rip you off big time if they've got a little T or C hidden away in your policy somewhere to beat you with.

The rescue truck driver lied to me and said if they're not MOT'd that they need to employ a special vehicle to return it - It came back the following day on EXACTLY the same sort of vehicle that it was picked up by.

I'm an Electrical engineer and have spent much time with wound components like motors, alternators, transformers and such, it seems to me that there is a serious design fault with this system though It's certainly not plain or obvious to me what it is.

Plainly, the enameled wires, on the stator, laying next to each other, on the way to joining the flexible wires, which lead out to the rectifier/regulator, had had their enameling burnt right off them by much heat, evidently and their insulation would have been maintained if they'd had fibreglass sleeving over them, but, the coils themselves, as before, were burnt black in places so there is something very wrong about the design and how it works in this installation.

Heat build-up could be overloading the alternator, though one headlamp bulb, (55w), LED sidelights, occasional indicators, the brake light and the ignition system should be well within the design parameters; apparently the alternator is capable of delivering 344 Watts at 5000 RPM.

My suspicion is that the stator has a heat build-up in normal operation and the way it's installed in the engine means that it can't get rid of excess heat quickly enough - The day it failed recently was very warm and I'd been crawling and filtering through 15 miles of heavy traffic - It was evidently too much for it.  I think it would have been a MUCH better idea to mount the alternator on the exterior like the Fazers had?

When this bike is fixed it'll get cleaned, polished and generally spruced up, THEN, it's getting sold!
I love riding it, it comes into it's own at illegal speeds and becomes like a flying carpet lovely to ride but it's done me over once too often.

Incidentally, I haven't checked in here for an age, but, has anyone come up with a solution for this recurring issue?

Cheers.

Ed.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Re: Stator failed - AGAIN
Reply #49 on: 20 July, 2021, 06:46:33 PM
*Originally Posted by aerial bender [+]
... the MOT had expired!!

... has anyone come up with a solution for this recurring issue?

Cheers.

Ed.

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder
Last Edit: 20 July, 2021, 06:48:06 PM by Art