Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Insurance Doubles !  (Read 571 times)

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
Insurance Doubles !
« on: 30 September, 2020, 01:00:15 PM »
Well after all these years nothing surprises me in regard to Insurance but this years quote has doubled!  :005:

Now last years was surprisingly low at around £70.00, although that did come with a hefty £800 excess. That said, this years is quoted at £750.

In fairness the quote came with the sage advice
You've been with us for a number of years. You may be able to get the insurance cover you want at a better price if you shop around.

So always mindful of sensible suggestions that's what I'm doing.

The only thing that's altered is I'll will have turned 70 by the renewal date. Is this par for the course or have other people seen a big hike this year.

Even more annoying is that for the "common reason" this year I've hardly got the Biffer out of the garage!  :110:

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Insurance Doubles !
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2020, 03:33:37 PM »
2009 abs, 62 year old rider, £80 fully comp with Bennetts, renewed in June this year.
I was with Hastings but they increased the premium by about 50%.

I find it is always best to shop around prior to renewal, never auto renew
it gives insurers the opportunity to take the mick and increase premiums.

Age does come into it at some point. My mother is 82 her car insurer wouldn’t renew this year as she no longer meets their criteria, nothing else had changed other than she and the car are a year older. Car is only 4 years old.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2020, 04:30:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brit182 [+]
The only thing that's altered is I'll will have turned 70 by the renewal date. Is this par for the course or have other people seen a big hike this year.
I don't think so (not that I'm 70).  It'll be the usual 'we want to shaft you' - is that my soap box I see. 
As they've said, look around and pick one.
- All insurances of every kind now go up year on year by a significant* margin (which is another reason to fight for a lower premium come renewal).

* Good reasons apart, significant being much more than inflation (not double cost!).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:10:31 AM »
Yes it’s all part of the “fun”!

I was probably more shocked this year than usual as last year was so low but even then twice the price is still twice the price. Particularly when, as the punter, nothing has changed from your end. Which was what made me ask about being 70.

The £80 from Bennett’s sounds good. I think I have seen £15 or £16 more from them but that will be the joy of living in West London no doubt!

Oh Well 😏

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2020, 11:23:48 PM »
At 82 I know I am 'stuck' with my current insurer as most insurance firms won't look at 'new' clients at my age. So far so good, but it is a lot more than £70, but a lot less than £750! My excess is £500.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

diverse-leafy