Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering head stand  (Read 392 times)

Offline Brerpatch

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000/A
  • City / Town: Gillingham
Steering head stand
« on: 06 January, 2020, 06:16:14 PM »
Forgive me if I am preaching to the converted  :034:
I have searched on this site to see if there was any information on these lifts and what people thought of them.
Some call them triple tree stands (Americans mostly, I think) and some call them steering head lifts, I already had a rear lift,
Anyway, I bought one a while back and was disappointed when it did not have the correct size lifting pin in the kit, they usually come with 5 different sizes so I had another search online to find one to fit, not easy and not too cheap either, anyway, I thought I had done a good job of measuring the hole in the middle of the steering head, apparently not, although it did manage to lift it (21 mm), it was not satisfactory so back for another go and up in size a few mm
OK, get to the point I hear you all cry  :169:
They are fantastic and well worth the 50 or so pounds, just remember to order the right size pin, 24 mm in case you were wondering.

I hope this has helped

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Steering head stand
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2020, 11:59:18 PM »
I've got one of these stands, good stand, though it must be a few years since I used it. Tend to favour my Abba stand to be honest, but they've all got a place in your tool armoury.

One thing I'd say regarding the head lift type, is be careful when lifting as it's all too easy to lift quickly and not notice you're bending the nose cone/fairing etc, until you hear something crack! :114:  :008: Don't ask me how I know!

This head stand here is the one I have:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Pro-Range-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Front-Head-Stock-Paddock-Stand-Ghostbikes/401614138205?hash=item5d82116b5d:g:SjIAAOSwB9hZ4Nge
« Last Edit: 07 January, 2020, 12:00:24 AM by Shed »

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2020, 01:35:55 AM »
All good stuff. I've found the downside to paddock type stands is the supporting arms can often restrict access. My weapon of choice is a motorcycle table lift to first raise the bike to a comfortable working height from there if I want to raise the front wheel off the table I have two options...

1) My CBF has engine crash bungs so I can pivot the motorcycle against the centre stand by means of two lengths of timber propped underneath the bungs. This method could also be used with the motorcycle on the floor. Each length of timber has a circular cup cut out one end to suit the diameter of the crash bung and the opposite end cut at an angle to suit about a one inch lift of the front wheel. I hear the more cautious of our readers wince at the risk of damaging the engine mounting bolts but not to fret as the weight of the bike is on the centre stand and the timber braces are simple used to pivot the front end.

2) Ratchet tie downs secured to the rear grab handles and table top, tensioned to pivot the motorcycle on the centre stand raising the front wheel.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]

1) My CBF has engine crash bungs so I can pivot the motorcycle against the centre stand by means of two lengths of timber propped underneath the bungs. This method could also be used with the motorcycle on the floor. Each length of timber has a circular cup cut out one end to suit the diameter of the crash bung and the opposite end cut at an angle to suit about a one inch lift of the front wheel. I hear the more cautious of our readers wince at the risk of damaging the engine mounting bolts but not to fret as the weight of the bike is on the centre stand and the timber braces are simple used to pivot the front end.

What a great idea, will try that one. Last time I had my front wheel off I put a lead weight in the top box to tip it back on the centre stand and stuck some wood under the exhaust to prevent it from tipping back. I’d say about 12-15kgs will tip the balance. It was a little over the weight limit recommendation for my 40 litre top box, but it worked.
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »
I use this scissor jack under the headers on all my bikes (I don't use the black adapters)... paddock stands get in my way, LOL.  You'll find the jack on ebay from a multitude of sellers. 

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2020, 11:42:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by raYzerman [+]
I use this scissor jack under the headers on all my bikes (I don't use the black adapters)... paddock stands get in my way, LOL.  You'll find the jack on ebay from a multitude of sellers.

I assume you mean as well as the centre stand, and not instead of?

Bike shop I worked at winced when I put the front end up with the scissor jack on the header pipes only (personal, not one of theirs). I learnt thereafter.

I've got one of them headstock stands but found what looked to be the brake lines in the way (forget was solid tubing bang in the way of the hole).

I just watch this guy when it comes to tacking tricky jobs. No idea what he's saying but seems plenty capable of stripping a CBF1000 down and building it up no problem:

« Last Edit: 09 January, 2020, 11:43:07 PM by NJD »

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2020, 12:11:40 AM »
Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention I use it along with the centerstand, just as he did in the video.  However, to play it safe, I won't usually remove both wheels at once unless I know it is front end heavy... ST1300 e.g., has its centerstand well centered and it can get tippy with the front end off.
« Last Edit: 10 January, 2020, 12:20:01 AM by raYzerman »

diverse-leafy