Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2006 CBF1000 (ABS) - Chain adjustment problems  (Read 509 times)

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
2006 CBF1000 (ABS) - Chain adjustment problems
« on: 31 December, 2019, 08:56:24 PM »
Hi,

I attempted to adjust the drive chain earlier and was confused to find that turning the adjuster nut made no difference on chain slack, and instead the nut just span all the way down the thread like the lock-nut does. I'm guessing that the adjuster nut is not meant to move from the back of the adjuster plate and that I need a new set of adjusters? I've adjusted chains before but this is a new one on me, and yes the axle was loose (I did indeed follow the steps in the workshop manual).

Also a pool of water came out of the R/H adjuster when the plate dropped down after I loosened the axle a fair bit, so is there a chance that some serious corrosion has occurred on the adjusters? Water came out of the R/H adjuster, but it was the L/H adjuster nut that threaded down like the locknut (cannot recall if R/H one does it as well).

I sense removing the rear wheel to see what's going on inside may be the best option? Or removing and cleaning up whatever lies inside / greasing the axle at the same time (I don't think the adjusters are in wrong way / side as both plates have the lines showing towards the outside).

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 31 December, 2019, 08:57:43 PM by NJD »

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: 2006 CBF1000 (ABS) - Chain adjustment problems
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »
Sounds fine to me. Remove the axel and adjusters, spray WD40 (other water dispersants are available) inside the swing arm leg, clean up parts as necessary, refit all with a goodly smear of grease on the axel shank and a goodly dollop behind the adjusters to help prevent future water ingress. The adjusters only work one way when tightened against the end of the swing arm they pull the wheel back and put tension on the chain. When you undo the nut it will not release the tension until you push the wheel forward, assuming you've slackened the axel nut/bolt.

To re-assemble what I do is remove both nuts both sides, refit the 14mm nut  both sides counting that the turns on are equal on both sides to ensure the axel is parallel to swinging arm. Also this way future adjustment can be made just by counting the turns/flats on the 14 mm nuts. When chain tension is correct torque axel nut (70 lb ft wet or 80 lb ft dry or as you prefer). Re-check chain slack and if all is well nip up the 12 mm lock nuts. Lubricate chain and the jobs done.

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Re: 2006 CBF1000 (ABS) - Chain adjustment problems
« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2019, 10:46:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
The adjusters only work one way when tightened against the end of the swing arm

Reading this makes me think I was turning the adjuster nut the wrong way. I was attempting to turn it the same way as you do the locknut thinking it would pull the thread / adjuster block / axle with it when in fact I believe, now reading this, I should have been turning the nut the opposite way which would then feed the thread through it and pull the axle back to take up the slack.

I'm going to have to get the wheel out anyway to clean it up, as you say, but think I'll have to make sure I get out of bed the right side tomorrow.

I keep saying never do mechanics before work -- in a rush: when will I learn.  :008:

diverse-leafy