Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best replacement Air Filter  (Read 2738 times)

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Best replacement Air Filter
« Reply #10 on: 06 December, 2019, 11:47:16 PM »
If a re-usable air filter is not being regularly cleaned and re-oiled it may as well be done away with all together. The technology behind these re-usable air filters is an old but simple idea. The filter medium is less restrictive which would normally filter out fewer particles except that the filter medium is coated in oil. The intake air is bounced across the oiled surface and airborne particles become lodged in the oily film. The main considerations when fitting a re-usable air filter as I see them are:

1) Re-usable filters require inspecting, cleaning and re-oiling often because if they dry out and cease to filter as designed and all those particles caught up in the oily film dry out too, breaking away and entering the fuelling system and engine.

2) The cleaning process needs to be thorough or else the re-oiling will simple soak up any particles left behind and block the filter. When re-oiling too much oil will block the filter, too little oil will not leave sufficient oily film to trap particles.

3) Re-usable filters may come into there own, but I'm not entirely convinced, when a less restrictive exhaust system has been fitted which has caused a decrease in inlet manifold pressure. A re-usable air filter that is less restrictive may correct that. The reason I'm not convinced is because most air filter housings contain baffles to maintain manifold pressure.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Re: Best replacement Air Filter
« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »
Top common sense there Art! Ed.