CBF1000

CBF1000 => Tyres and Wheels => Topic started by: flukester71 on 19 July, 2019, 12:00:58 PM

Title: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: flukester71 on 19 July, 2019, 12:00:58 PM
Tried michelin road 5's for the first time this year as the guy told me they are brilliant in the wet,i have always had bridgestone 023 and they are great. But after only around a 1000 miles the back tyre was badly out of shape with the thread pattern all wearing strangely. I contacted the company who supplied and fitted the tyre and they told me to bring it back and they would replace it and send my damaged tyre to michelin to carry out tests on it. But what they failed to mention was that i have to buy the new tyre myself and then at michelins decreation i would get it refunded back if they deemed the tyre faulty.
I am just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so what was the end result

Flukie...
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: moayling on 19 July, 2019, 02:20:47 PM
I have done about 4000 miles on my road 5ís and they are wearing well with no uneven wear. Always run at 36/42 pressures. I have a mk2
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: flukester71 on 20 July, 2019, 10:19:39 AM
Thanks for your reply first thing i checked was the pressures which were ok 36 front and 42 back. Must of just been a bad tyre hopefully the new one will not go the same way.

Flukie..
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: Pan404 on 20 July, 2019, 09:17:08 PM
Sale of Goods Act....

Fit for purpose.... No

Merchantable quality......  No
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: flukester71 on 21 July, 2019, 07:33:05 PM
Hi i had to fill out a complaint form at the dealers which they say will go back with the tyre to Michelin for tests wherever that is. When i enquired how long this could take i was told not sure 2-3 weeks maybe. Surely i should of got my new tyre fitted free and the dealer take up the issue directly with Michelin.
I have got tyres here before on a couple of occasions but this will be the last

Flukie...
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: Pan404 on 21 July, 2019, 07:50:33 PM
Give your local Trading Standards a call
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: flukester71 on 22 July, 2019, 01:21:25 PM
No problem will do
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: NJD on 23 July, 2019, 07:55:37 PM
Sounds like a bad dealer to be honest.

Decent one would have inspected tyre on the spot, phoned Michelin and then gone from there.

I wouldn't have payed for a new tyre or fitting: the later is just plain mick taking.

Dealer wants his money back that's his issue, not yours. You paid for goods that haven't met expectations.

As above complain to high heaven. The PR5's aren't cheap, and you've just purchased two with the uncertainty that this one won't do the same as the last.

Make sure F/R tyre are aligned correctly and pressures are correct.
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: flukester71 on 24 July, 2019, 02:27:50 PM
Thanks for your reply it did piss me off at the time for sure, the guy behind the counter couldnt care less and i was waiting over 90 minutes to have the tyre changed.

Flukie..
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: catford lad on 26 July, 2019, 08:21:15 PM
I think it's standard to send the tyres back before offering a refund because the manufacturer can determine whether the tyre was over or under inflated (I'm sure it was neither). It's a pain I know, but I experienced the same thing with a rear Avon, and I really rate my local tyre guys.
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: flukester71 on 28 July, 2019, 12:21:00 PM
Thanks catford lad i hope they come good and give me a full refund for the tyre..
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: raYzerman on 29 July, 2019, 03:00:15 AM
*Originally Posted by catford lad [+]
I think it's standard to send the tyres back before offering a refund because the manufacturer can determine whether the tyre was over or under inflated (I'm sure it was neither). It's a pain I know, but I experienced the same thing with a rear Avon, and I really rate my local tyre guys.
Standard practice here also..... you buy your new tire and await word.
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: flukester71 on 29 July, 2019, 08:19:56 AM
*Originally Posted by raYzerman [+]
Standard practice here also..... you buy your new tire and await word.
  :028:
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: catford lad on 29 July, 2019, 08:42:22 AM
Another thought - If Michelin come back with a no, it might be worth pursuing it further (ie small claims court for the value of the tyre). I think you would need the tyre back in your possession (it's technically still yours after all).
This course of action might still not work in your favour, and there might be much gnashing of teeth involved, so it's a last resort.
Also I'm no legal expert!
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: flukester71 on 29 July, 2019, 07:33:11 PM
*Originally Posted by catford lad [+]
Another thought - If Michelin come back with a no, it might be worth pursuing it further (ie small claims court for the value of the tyre). I think you would need the tyre back in your possession (it's technically still yours after all).
This course of action might still not work in your favour, and there might be much gnashing of teeth involved, so it's a last resort.
Also I'm no legal expert!
Thanks not sure what i will do as of yet.. Probably trading standards will get a ring :028:
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: pedro on 30 July, 2019, 12:39:20 AM
If they say it's not the tyre, then, as it's still yours, ask for it back. That'll possibly put them in a tizzy. If they can't/won't give it back, then tell them they owe you for a perfectly good tyre, by their own admission.
Title: Re: michelin road 5 tyres
Post by: flukester71 on 30 July, 2019, 03:02:22 PM
*Originally Posted by pedro [+]
If they say it's not the tyre, then, as it's still yours, ask for it back. That'll possibly put them in a tizzy. If they can't/won't give it back, then tell them they owe you for a perfectly good tyre, by their own admission.
:028: