Author Topic: Surging engine  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Bilbo

• CBF Master
Re: Surging engine
Reply #30 on: 01 August, 2010, 07:20:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
I really feel for people who are affected by any form of surging engine, IMO it should not surge. 

Cheers Bifferman

After all the suspension problems and this I have been gettin a tad fed up with the bike.  Its new only just under 1150 miles on the clock and it should be better

I had a quick look at getting at the flapper valve then realised it needs the tank off or is that just release the front bolts and pivit it up on the suport rod.

Whatever,  the tanks full so I thought I wait till next weekend and the tank near near empty.

I also had another look at the throttle and have revised my opinion it does have what could be to much slack.

Offline FRANKIE FOSTER

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 abs
  • City / Town: coatbridge
Reply #31 on: 01 August, 2010, 08:03:06 PM
no you dont have to remove the tank just the side plateleft side and unscrew 3 screws at air filter, then one more at sensor, plug up end of tube and the jobs done, i cant believe the changes bikes more responsive ,smoother and has less vibes,it feels much improved try it cheers frankie

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
Reply #32 on: 02 August, 2010, 07:58:41 PM
*Originally Posted by FRANKIE FOSTER [+]
no you dont have to remove the tank just the side plateleft side and unscrew 3 screws at air filter, then one more at sensor, plug up end of tube and the jobs done, i cant believe the changes bikes more responsive ,smoother and has less vibes,it feels much improved try it cheers frankie

Don't understand what screw you are undoing at the sensor. I didn't think this had to be touched??

Pete

Offline Bilbo

• CBF Master
Reply #33 on: 02 August, 2010, 08:00:54 PM
Cheers Frankie :002:

I noticed a small  vacuum line there yesterday.

This all seems a bit variable as it was better tonight but still present.

Bifferman  I have halved the slack on the throttle tonight using just the adjacent adjuster and will see what its like tomorrow and fill the tank up again before I ride home.

Frankie if there is no change I will blank of the tube at the weekend if not before that if itís that easy it can be quickly reconnected before the next service.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #34 on: 03 August, 2010, 03:54:15 PM
Hi Bilbo

My Biffer went in for a service and an over exuberant techie put back a small amount of slack in my twist grip which I had spent a while very carefully removing.  Blow me :005: but my bike instantly snatched (not a surge) and I had to be careful with the throttle.  On my to do list to put back without play.

Andy

:149:

Offline Bilbo

• CBF Master
Reply #35 on: 03 August, 2010, 08:55:21 PM
Hi Bifferman

I have to say it is a lot better today on the way to work today and a tad better on the way home with BP Super Unleaded  Vmax petrol but its still there

That was a mistake the pump was only labled unleaded :006: the label was missing on the gun (mutter)

So I leave it a few days and then reduce the slack even more using the adjuster next to the throttle.

I am reluctant to say its really better as it does seem to vary with hot and cooler days and today has been cooler.

A simply stretched cable could explain why it started after say 900 miles on a new bike

Offline Bilbo

• CBF Master
Reply #36 on: 07 August, 2010, 07:16:46 PM
Well Biffermans idea of getting rid of the slack has improved it

BUT

Its only better one day and back just as bad the next

I will or is that hopefully disconnect the flapper tomorrow and give some feed back later next week.

Offline mca156

• CBF Member
Reply #37 on: 07 August, 2010, 10:41:04 PM
Had surging problem for as long as iv`e owned the bike, (12months) did flapper mod, problem instantly fixed, love this site, thanks to everyone for the info, bike sooo much better now
CBF1000 GT

Offline Bilbo

• CBF Master
Reply #38 on: 11 August, 2010, 06:30:31 PM
Well I have disconnected and.........
Itís all gone  :002:and now far more responsive than itís ever been at low RPM :152: but I have run it in slowly.  It really feel like a 1000cc bike as it pulls better at low RPM

I do still say Biffermanís solution of reduce the slack in the throttle cable had already helped a lot in my case :028:  Mine all started at about 900 miles on the clock and I now have done 1350miles so no doubt the cable had stretched a bit from new.

I blanked the vacuum line off with a bolt covered lightly in non setting gasket sealant and left the actuator in place as I will need to reconnect when it goes into Honda for a service under warrantee.

I think the system looking at its a bit naff as the vacuum actuator with a diaphragm will take time to work,  so in town its most likely struggles to keep up with you and the throttle

It seems noisier with the line undone even with a helmet on but not OTT

Piper

Iits 3 screws to remove the filter cover below the near side panel the 4th screw removes the actuator thatís in that plastic body

Offline Gumby 1000

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Cambridge, Ont.
Reply #39 on: 11 August, 2010, 10:03:15 PM
Note:

You can do the "flapper mod" so that it looks like no mod was done at all if you are worried about warranty compliance.

I simply put a ball bearing in the vacuum line and plugged it back into the actuator. 

Of course, being the worrier that I am, I slipped a washer over the vacuum line upstream of the ball bearing (washer I.D. snug on vacuum line O.D.).
This will keep the ball bearing from getting sucked up the vacuum line.

This trick came in handy defeating the PAIR Valve system on previous Hondas and short of "feeling up" the air lines for the ball bearings, no Honda Tech should be the wiser.

diverse-leafy