Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda Diagnostic - DLC connection - K-line  (Read 13170 times)

Offline SafferSteve

• CBF Member
Honda Diagnostic - DLC connection - K-line
« on: 30 May, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
Hi All

Sorry if  :481: but can't find much about this or any Honda site.

I have a 2007 biffer.

The good old Manual I have refers to the O/W cable of the DLC as a K-Line.

A volt meter across this shows 12v which is in accordance with ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4 K-line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics)
I also read a few very good posts for the Suzuki/busa where there ECU's have a similar 10400 baud half duplex connection. They have done wonders with this connection from datalogging(what I'm after) to mapping.

I have built a Opto coupler based circut to convert rs232(serial) to K-line /L-line for about £2.00 and attached this to the bike.

Now what I have learned from playing around i that this K-line isn't a Standard OBD (ISO 9141) protocol as used in many cars. Software like VAG-COM detects my circut...but can't talk to the bike using the standard protocol (Codes), which sends a 0x33 to wake up the ECU etc.

Anyway are there any Guru's around that can point me in the right direction....what Honda Hex codes etc I can send to get some life.

My plan is to provide some free software for Diagnostics and Datalogging on Honda Motorcycle with a very cheep DIY built interface (usb pref..)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: Honda Diagnostic - DLC connection - K-line
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2010, 10:32:34 PM »
Now the red wire is positive and the black wire is negative - so what was it you wanted to know? :084:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline SafferSteve

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2010, 05:05:50 AM »
Lol......That's quite funny....because the Black wire is actually Positive and green is negative....whatever happened to keeping things simple.  :087:

Brown is SCS....

What I want to know is what Language does biffer speak on the K-line.

I fancy saying hello/wake up in 0 and 1's or more accurately in Hex so I can get more than just a 00 from it.

Has anyone had a HDS pocket tester connected to there bike to read DTC's , throttle position, o2 sensor position etc etc....I'm just thinking..but perhaps I can sniff the initialisation code from this...etc...but just need to know what device it was. (Are theses the sames HIM's used to connect to the Cars?)

PS..perhaps getting a little ahead of myself as I can see a few more weeks of work in all this...but would anyone like a cheap datalogger.....perhaps this could explain why you are only getting 30mpg rather that the impressive 50mpg of others....

Offline gronno

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF, GasGas, XS
  • City / Town: Haverfordwest
« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2010, 05:50:50 AM »
I haven't a clue, but seeing as it's a '04 blade engine maybe a blade forum member will have an answer, they might have fiddled with ECU's and such.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline SafferSteve

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2010, 06:48:21 AM »
ok.....just got a copy of ISO14230-2.PDF and ISO14230-3...hopefully things will become clearer after a little RTFM and  :173:

Offline nbells

• CBF Legend
« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2010, 10:14:15 AM »
Don't worry this is not an old thread !!!!

First of all my bike is just outta warrenty so this is something I never thought about having a look at.... but a datalogger would be a novel idea !

I am surprised that you say using standard protocols, you can't access the ECU ! .... but if thats what your finding, then so be it!

Are you sure your circuit is working correctly ? .. I assume you have tried a normal unit .. eg Tech 2 .. vag com or similar .. to see what results you could obtain ? ... I have found a few all ready made converters .. but they come at a price !

Ever thought about reverse engineering a few of the freebie progs that are available on the tinternet ? .. use IDA pro .. its brill at doing that.

As mentioned its an old Blade configuration been tweeked for torque and not power so I would of assumed that the Blade folks in the other forum might be your best bet.

nbells   :300:

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
 :087: :087: :005: :183: :187:

Offline nbells

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »
Forgot to say ....I'm sure  the most used language for ECUs  is C.  C++  ???? .  could be wrong .. but it seems logical ..... next to the more prevailant ladder logic sequence. ........The software used usually sits on each manufactrers specific OS  ... whatever that may be.

nbells  :300:

Offline Jumbo

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT(MK1)
« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
I'm with Bifferman. My brain is hurting.
But if there's to be another gadget to play with, I'll have it  :028:
Jumbo
You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.
Yogi Berra

Offline Sluiceman

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
Have I just accidentally opened a portal in the space time continuum or something? Why are we all speaking Space Federation Tech Speak?

Here's me thinking I'm a bit flash cos I can strip out a set of calipers and then this lot arrives!  I'm well impressed fellas.

Yours in awe.

Sluiceman
The point of a journey is not to arrive!