Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PINS & NEEDLES  (Read 8062 times)

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: PINS & NEEDLES
« Reply #60 on: 28 February, 2020, 08:10:54 PM »
Interesting thread and surely a problem one would want to eliminate for more pleasurable riding. I had pins and needles at first until I realised I was just nervous on a new bike and relaxed my grip. It  helped but only made it a bit longer before the numbness came back.

Since removing the heated grips and fitting Domino ones that are thinner, the problem has disappeared. Your thumb spends most of its life in a relaxed, closed position. Keeping the thumb open under tension would be to my mind the cause of the numbness and pins and needles.

Relaxing your hands with the arc of the thumb and finger against the round rubber lip on the inner side of the grips, and literally using gravity on the underside of you knuckles on the throttle, works wonderfully.

The problem with heated grips is not only that they’re thicker, but also with some of them you cant get full contact between the arc of your thumb and the inner rubber lip because of the wiring. This means you use muscles instead of friction to handle the motorcycle.

My theory may be wrong but it worked for me. Hope this helps.

:092:

A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline ramiller

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Mk1 CBF1000
  • City / Town: WAKEFIELD
« Reply #61 on: 03 March, 2020, 10:36:35 AM »
Not read the whole 7 pages, but can’t see any mention of Carpal Tunnel, I suffered really bad but had the operation on both hands last October and no tingling, pins and needles now.

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #62 on: 03 March, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »
 :460: I used to suffer with CTS myself in the right hand. At first I thought it was due to the twin I was riding at the time, but no. Had the operation and has been OK since.

Oddly, a while later I started to get it in my left hand, but just as I was coming up to operation time, it went away again - weird.  :112:
No good deed goes unpunished.

diverse-leafy