Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PINS & NEEDLES  (Read 8059 times)

Offline trumpet

• CBF Pro
Re: PINS & NEEDLES
« Reply #20 on: 12 September, 2006, 04:05:23 PM »
All my summer rides are 6 or 8 hours mainly B roads so no cruising ,Iwear thickish gloves  never had pins n needles TDM included,wierd??. :29:
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Melih

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #21 on: 12 September, 2006, 08:28:40 PM »
I have no such problem but worst than that. I had a pain in neck and on left shoulder so soon (after 30-40 kilometers), I had no such pain on my previous bike. I'm so confused, and don't know why ? :lostit_20_13:
Gear Up, Ride Safe, Rock Hard !..

Offline lenski

• CBF Member
« Reply #22 on: 13 September, 2006, 04:02:28 PM »
It's not the musles, I ride every day and I got numb hand from the start. But it does get better after a couple of K. But really it's not my hands that I'm worried about, it's a bit lower down that I'm getting bad tingles.

Offline Chas

• CBF Member
« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2006, 06:31:25 PM »
I only suffer from this problem on a long run that lasts for several hours, but my solution is to ware a pair of
cycling glover under my bike gloves. You know those strange fingerless things they ware on the Tour De France.
They have a gel pad across the palm that works well.

This wont work for everyone as you need loos fitting gloves and it can be a bit warm. I don't know why motorcycle
glove makers cant build this stuff into there gloves in the first place.

Offline BallymoneyBiker

• CBF Master
  • Ballymoney. N. Ireland
« Reply #24 on: 14 September, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »
No numbness for me, but I am a cyborg !!
Seriously though, I haven't suffered this on the bike, but do have poor circulation on my index finger \ right hand. it will be interesting to see how this develops on the bike over the winter.

Offline trumpet

• CBF Pro
« Reply #25 on: 15 September, 2006, 11:15:19 PM »
Found out why I don't get pins n needles I'm to slow,no vibes till 5000, bars go fairly vibe free at 6500 seat n pegs are better 7500, feet tingle at 8500.
        vibes don't seem to start till 6000 going down hill.
[ no animals were hurt in these tests ] :alien:
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Peteb68

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 06 CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Wirral
« Reply #26 on: 16 September, 2006, 12:10:03 PM »
I have had problems with my right hand going numb on nearly every bike I've had(CBF being my 14th in 22 years)and never found a complete cure, I was hoping the CBF with it being multi adjustable in the seat/handlebar department might solve it, but after trying every position possible with and without the Mrs on the back(although things seem better without her.hmmmm) still no joy :157:. Long straight roads are worse than twistys so maybe my hands move more on the bars through the bends. I noticed they were getting numb driving the car or sometimes just sitting down with my arms bent so I went to the doctors and he said I am starting to suffer with vibration white finger which he says is due to my job as a joiner and years of power tools, palm sanders, air tools e.t.c. Now I wonder if it is also a combination of work and riding bikes for 22 years on bloody rough and bumpy roads throughout this congested country.

I have never considered part of the problem might be my gloves although different pairs seem to have little effect but I will be choosing my next pair very carefully, I wonder if you can test ride gloves as you can with bikes

I am going to e-mail a few glove manufacturers about this problem and will let you know how I get on.

Pete.

Offline darklogic

• CBF Master
« Reply #27 on: 16 September, 2006, 07:47:11 PM »
I've had the numb hand problem on the motorway with the CBF - my previous bike was a twin, and I had less of a problem with numb hands. It seems to get me at a constant 70mph. Perhaps when the engine loosens up it'll go...

Offline Chas

• CBF Member
« Reply #28 on: 16 September, 2006, 11:03:12 PM »
Went for a quiet ride today up Loch Lomond side, not in any hurry just enjoying myself. It gave me time to think about life the universe and everything, then my hand started to get stiff so I thought about that instead.

As I see it there are three separate issues here :-

* The constant pressure across the palm of your hand causes numbness. Will happen on any bike even a         
   bicycle depending on how hard you are leaning. The Biffer cant be too bad for this as you sit quite upright
   and there is not much weight on your hands.

* Keeping your hand in the same position for a long time causes cramp. Throttle hand will be the worst on long
   constant speed trips like motorways. ( cruise control helps this in the car )

* The vibration transmitted through the bars and foot pegs affects blood circulation. This can cause white finger
   disease. (Hand and Arm Vibration Syndrome ). The regulations are so tight now on this that I cant see Honda
   selling a machine that can do you harm.

What's the point in all this ? Well apart from me enjoying a good rant, I suspect it means there is no one
solution to this problem but it will take a combination of things to stop this discomfort.

How about  - Foam grips + Gill padded gloves + Heavy bar ends + Cruise control or even a throttle that didn't
snap shut as soon as you take your hand off it ( You will remember them Grandydancer )

Right that's it, even Im fed up with this now, so Im off to think about the universe again.

Offline xtian

• CBF Master
  • and now I want a new garage for my new bike
« Reply #29 on: 17 September, 2006, 01:01:44 AM »
i can't find the link right now but there is a cheap eaby accessory that clips on the throttle and allows you to use the whole hand to regulate the gaz instead of just the arm. I've heard it's especially handy on long rides.