Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PINS & NEEDLES  (Read 8060 times)

Offline BOMBER

• CBF Pro
PINS & NEEDLES
« on: 09 September, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »
:84: Hi guys, Picked up my new bike on weds, done 400 miles now. Around town and stop and start stuff fine, But on motorways or any distance where you have to hold the throttle on to munch some miles, I get pins & needles and my hand goes NUMB. This happens after about 5 miles, tired to not grip to hard, has anybody had the same problem?Thinking about changing the grips, maybe thicker ones or heated ,regards bomber.

Offline rider

• CBF Legend
Re: PINS & NEEDLES
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2006, 06:15:41 PM »
But on motorways or any distance where you have to hold the throttle on to munch some miles, I get pins & needles and my hand goes NUMB. This happens after about 5 miles, tired to not grip to hard, has anybody had the same problem?Thinking about changing the grips, maybe thicker ones or heated ,regards bomber.
:185: Bomber,
I feel the same thing after a while ( 15 minutes of driving )and mostly on my right hand. And to be honest it's the first time ( I mean only with this bike ) I'm feeling this.
I think grips made of foam will be better- tried them with my previous bike.
 :) Rider
beware of the animals with two legs! four legs are better.

Offline lisaekam

• CBF Legend
« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2006, 06:20:36 PM »
Hi Bomber

My partner had that problem when he came back to biking 4 years ago and thinks that it was caused by the muscles in his hand, particularly the one between hand and thumb, not being strong enough. He also says check your gloves are fitting correctly.

He became a CBT/DA instructor and found that many B-T-B people had these problems.

I have bought at least two pairs of gloves that fitted well in the shop, but after riding the bike in them I had to give them away.

Hope you get a cure

Lisa
Lisa

:computer:

?A woman who rides a motorcycle is in tune with the universe, a candidate for high adventure.? Celestine Sibley

Offline BOMBER

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2006, 06:24:23 PM »
Glad its not only me rider, I have not had this before on a bike, unless i have done about 80 miles. Will try ajusting the handlebars to see if that helps, not happy  :(

Offline BOMBER

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2006, 06:31:09 PM »
Thankyou lisa, for your help will try different things. Hope the rideout goes well and everyone turns up. will not be there ourselfs as we will be in brighton trying to sell the triumph, but i sure there will be another time safe riding bomber.

Offline rider

• CBF Legend
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2006, 06:37:32 PM »
Will try ajusting the handlebars to see if that helps, not happy  
Dear Bomber,
I don't think that adjusting will help. I've tried several types of grips through the years and what we've got here is the construction of the grip that has those tiny saliences ( ridges ), which are certainly remind me pins or needles - aptly called from you.
 :)
Rider
beware of the animals with two legs! four legs are better.

Offline Kel

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Wrexham
« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2006, 06:42:39 PM »
I had some slight vibes from the bars when I first had the bike but now 6000 or more miles later its fine at 6000 revs down the motorway. Wait untill the engine loosens up a bit, I think you will find it better then.

Offline Mick

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2006, 02:15:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by rider [+]
But on motorways or any distance where you have to hold the throttle on to munch some miles, I get pins & needles and my hand goes NUMB. This happens after about 5 miles, tired to not grip to hard, has anybody had the same problem?Thinking about changing the grips, maybe thicker ones or heated ,regards bomber.
:185: Bomber,
I feel the same thing after a while ( 15 minutes of driving )and mostly on my right hand. And to be honest it's the first time ( I mean only with this bike ) I'm feeling this.
I think grips made of foam will be better- tried them with my previous bike.
 :) Rider

I had the same problem. I noticed little while actually riding, but if I stopped early on in a ride I often found my right hand was tingling and a little numb. Oddly, after continuing my ride it seemed to go away, almost like it was only until the engine got properly hot (didn't make sense to me, either!). I thought 'foam grips', worked (a bit) for my FJ1100 and CX500. I didn't get around to it however, and now I realise I have hardly noticed it recently. I've 1600 miles on my engine now, and it seems much better. Kel seems to have the measure of the problem; perhaps it's just a new engine thing.
« Last Edit: 11 September, 2006, 07:47:34 AM by Mick »
Mick

Offline Petrust

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2006, 07:56:53 AM »
I've had this problem with several bikes, so I dont think it's just a CBF Thou issue. I find just taking my hand off the throttle for a second or two usually relieves the tingling, and I do agree with Lisa that glove fitment is also critical. Quite often merely slackening the cuff strap a little cures the problem for me.
Let's be careful out there

Offline vlassishlk

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A (06)
  • City / Town: Eyboia
« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2006, 08:22:01 AM »
I,ve had this problem the past 2-3 years with the TDM and now with the CBF, I think I,m just getting old.