Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: THE EAGLE HAS LANDED !!! First kilometers on the CBF1000 !!!  (Read 1295 times)

Offline The Doctor

• CBF Pro
THE EAGLE HAS LANDED !!! First kilometers on the CBF1000 !!!
« on: 20 March, 2006, 01:33:03 PM »
Dear All,

After counting down the days for 10weeks, I finally picked-up my new CBF1000ABS at the dealer's on saturday morning!!! After making some small adjustments (screen up/bars forward/seat in highest position/clutch+brake handle forward), I could take off for my first ride on the new bike. Although I'm used to having 100BHP between my legs  ;D (CBR600/PC25), this is a different kind of ballgame! The torqy engine is just fabulous. I think I will get used to this very quickly!

Also the driving position is much more relaxed than on a race bike (back more upright/knee-angle less radical/less pressure on the wrists due to handle-bars higher). Although the CBR was not xtremely uncomfortable, the difference is enormous, certainly at lower speed (city/secondary roads).

As for the enigine, only one word: RESPECT!!! It seems like the Honda-engineers have built an engine for a truck or an airplane!!! It picks up from 1500-2000rpm and you can shift up at any given point without "suffocating" the engine. It just keeps pulling as if nothing can stop it from doing it's job. Slow down to 50-60km/h in 6th gear and opening the throttle for overtaking a lorry? Don't want to shift down? No problem sir! 5 seconds later, you'll be doing 160km/h!!! Sure this engine isn't turbo-charged??? Also, the turbine-sound which the engine produces is like music to my ears! It's like a PGM-FI symphony!!!

The hydrolic clutch operates very light and is a big improvement to a cable in my humble opinion (Honda should have fitted hydro-clutch on Deauville too....). Shifting is in a typical, flawless Honda Style (only 1st gear gives the normal "clack"). What is quite impressive is how well they balanced the motorcycle. You can roll to the traffic light with clutch in at 2-3km/h and keep your feet on the pegs untill the bike is at full standstill befure putting down your foot!!! It feels like driving with two side-weels at the back! Very nice indeed.

The only thing below expectations at this point are the brakes. But maybe, the discs and pads will need to "wear-in" a little before working at full potential (only 130km on the clocks). I must admit I didn't simulate some emergency braking since I don't know if it's wise to put a brandnew 250kgs machine on it's front tyre......The brakes work prefectly but seem to miss that extra "bite" which one would expect from the massive 6-caliper (gold couloured) front brakes. Maybe it's the DCBS, maybe it's the bike's weigth, maybe it will improve with some increased mileage.....

Fuel consumption looks quite acceptable too: fuel gage only decreased by 2mm from F after 130km and bike more at idle than it has been riding (visiting friends and relatives to show the new "toy"). But my style is more "cruising" than "racing". It will be no problems to get fuel consumption over 10liter/100km, but you may lose your license by doing so....

Suspension is very smooth and clearly adjusted for comfort. Even very bad roads are absorbed without any problems as long as the speed is not too high. But for sure, this bike wasn't developed for high speed cornering in race-track conditions. At normal speeds on secondary roads, it's loads of fun to drive and it almost steers like a bicycle.  Only when moving the bike with the engine off, you feel that a 250kgs motorcycle isn't something to mess around with....

Finally, must admit the side-stand operation is very impractical due to the fact that they have placed the extension bar only 5mm from the left footrest which means you can only operate it with your the heel of your foot and with lots of care and precision! I think lots of CBF will land on their left side in future....

But anyway, hope you guys can find out for yourselves and have lots of fun with the CBF. I'm sure I will!

Thks n b rgds,

The Doctor.

Offline bryhhh

• CBF Member
Re: THE EAGLE HAS LANDED !!! First kilometers on the CBF1000 !!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2006, 03:22:49 PM »
Congrats, and thanks for the useful review.

Did the dealer offer any advise about a running in period for the bike? (Still waiting for mine  :'()

Offline NBP

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2006, 07:08:18 PM »
The only thing below expectations at this point are the brakes. But maybe, the discs and pads will need to "wear-in" a little before working at full potential (only 130km on the clocks). I must admit I didn't simulate some emergency braking since I don't know if it's wise to put a brandnew 250kgs machine on it's front tyre......The brakes work prefectly but seem to miss that extra "bite" which one would expect from the massive 6-caliper (gold couloured) front brakes. Maybe it's the DCBS, maybe it's the bike's weigth, maybe it will improve with some increased mileage.....

New brake pads on new discs will take at least 300 miles to bed in properly.
Don't forget that the front brake only operates 4 of the 6 pistons in the front calipers. If I remember correctly, the two inside pistons are operated by the rear brake pedal. So to get full use of the front brakes you need to use the rear brake at the same time. Normally this would not be a good idea due to the risk of locking up the rear wheel. However, with the ABS this should not be too much of a problem.
If you are still not happy after three hundred miles or so, the best solution is to change the pads in the front calipers.
I have used this trick on quite a few bikes over the years and it works well. I usually put a set of EBC HH rated pads in. These will improve braking power by 15 to 20%, and will give better initial 'bite'.
I doubt if they are available for the CBF1000 yet, but they no doubt will be over the coming months.

Offline haldner

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2006, 10:05:23 PM »
Hi,
the front brake operates 5 of the 6 pistons in the front calipers. Only the right inside piston is operated by the rear brake pedal. I have to pull the front brake with quite a lot of power, then it works fine. The rear brake however seems to be a little bit week.
Cheers, Haldner

Offline The Doctor

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2006, 08:13:58 AM »
@ Bryhhh

Nothing special said about running in the motorcycle, but in the user manual there is some remark about not overrevving the first 500-600km. I intend to run-in the bike on secondary roads (no highway) to let the gearbox work a little  ;)

The manual also states to NEVER run the engine in red-zone to avoid damage to the engine. Isn't there some kind of electronic rev limiter which will intervene if you are getting tooo enthousiastic???

@NBP

Thanks for the tip! I'm only a little worried that changing the pads (to some harder ones) would eventually wear out the discs earlier. But I think brakes will improve over the next 500km or so. It has improved already considerably compared to the beginning.

@Haldner

Don't have any idea about rear brake, because normally I don't use it without applying the front brakes. But I will try it during the next drive.

Thks n b rgds,

The Doctor.

diverse-leafy