Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Test Ride at last!  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Johnnyx

• CBF Member
Test Ride at last!
« on: 17 March, 2006, 03:08:26 PM »
Finally - test rode the bike today!

Bike doesn't feel like a 1L machine.  its compact and easy to move about.  Weight is pretty central, maybe a bit forward... I was conscious of this, but never felt it was a problem.  Sitting at traffic lights, I banked the bike L & R to get a feel as to how far it could go before I would lose it.. hmmmm not very far!  I don't think it would be very forgiving if you came to an ungainly emergency stop.  The engine is super smooth... as is the transmission and gear change... although still got that Honda first gear 'clunk' :)  What is quite amazing is not needing to change gear after 40mph!! I had to pull over at one stage so I could count up the gears to be sure I wasn't having trouble getting it into top! - counted them up.. 1,2,3,4,5...6! cool!  Don't know if this is everyones 'cup of tea' but it makes for a hoot of a ride - slowing down for the twisties and opening up for the straights... "look mum - no gears to change!!"

The ride is excellent, good sitting position (I'm 5'.8"), good acceleration and excellent stopping power... although front break on its own is soft, the foot break (which I think is 'linked' to the front) is superb.  Around town, well, it wasn't 'nimble', wasn't hippo like either... maybe a bit heavy for constant city driving, but just the ticket for getting to the city and driving through!  Out in the countryside it was a blast!  - nothing unpredictable, its not a whippet of a bike ... more of a fit Labrador .. will go like stink when you want it to, will always do as its told... and is a good pal .. at the end of the day curling up in the garage at your feet, in front of the paraffin stove.. :)

If I was looking for problems... well, the seat was a tad hard - could be an issue when touring (which is why I want the bike) and the screen is lower than you think.  I had it set on the lowest position, but the high position doesn't seem much different.

I found the Fuel Injection very smooth, no problems that I could tell in any rev band...at slow speeds it did 'dump' the power a little when you shut the throttle (rather than a smooth roll off) - but I really didn't find that an issue.  I have gotten used to having a gear indicator on my current bike - so missed that a bit

Overall I think the bike is sound.  Its a tiny bit 'ordinary' in its looks.. but makes up for that in fun and ease of use... I can see those front pipes and exposed engine bits getting real dirty in no time at all mind - so hope the lacquer is double thick for UK winters....

Ha! I can see myself now, skipping up the garage... "here boy - come on lad... good boy..... lets go for a BLAST!" ;D

Offline Smudger

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MK2
  • City / Town: Shepperton, SRY
Re: Test Ride at last!
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2006, 04:50:22 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the ride. Not really anything to dislike. I also commented on seat but Dealer was suprised and said nobody else had mentioned this.
All I can say is that riding the bike twice now for approx 1 hour on each ride I did not find any discomfort. Maybe some of the guys who actually have one may like to comment ?
Agree with your remarks on the gears. I left it in third over a variety of roads and there was always power available and smoothly delivered.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline allclaret

• CBF Member
  • Burnley, Lancashire, England
« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2006, 04:55:13 PM »
i got mine this morning and after about 40 miles the numb bum was creeping in, but i seem to get it on every bike i own nowadays so maybe its just me and the fact i am a bit of a salad dodger! :D :D
UP THE CLARETS

Offline bornagain

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2006, 07:31:27 PM »
I got a numb bum on the test ride so I'm in for a rough time, for a while. I have had this on all but one of my bikes, an xjr1300 which is like sitting in an armchair and handles like one too!. I usually get this for the first few rides and then my backside gets used to it. My mates got an R6 and the seat is non existant but he dose'nt even notice now, a few long trips and all is well, I'm really hoping thats the case when I eventually get my CBX, if not out comes the cushion.

Offline Johnnyx

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2006, 09:21:48 PM »
..yeah.. its a tricky one, maybe the last 'hurdle' for this bike.  I think Seed's fuel injection problem may be a 'one-off' but as I am thinking of the CBF for touring i am a little worried about the seat! ... I guess there are always Gell seats.. but I hate the idea of buying a new bike then having to replace bits!!

hmmmmmmmm

Offline bornagain

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2006, 10:45:20 PM »
Yeah it's something Honda should have put more thought into. I do a bit of touring too so a numb bum is not a plus point. I think this is one thing the fazer 05 model has in it's favour. the seat is comortable, I had one of these on loan while my xjr was in and I did a good trip to the coast with no bum probs, but this Honda beats it in most other respects including rider confidence, I've never felt so "good" on a first ride. I'm off to France on it in July so I just hope I get used to it.

Offline lisaekam

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2006, 10:21:15 PM »
On my second day with the bike I did about 100 miles and never noticed any problems. I am used to a fairly comfy seat with the Deauville but on the CBF I am in a less upright position, tending to lean slightly more forward and the reach to the bars is less than the DV. I will be putting it through it's paces again at the weekend, doing at least 100 miles again.

I do wonder though if I have a more padded 'seat' than everyone else on the forum? :-)

Lisa
Lisa

:computer:

?A woman who rides a motorcycle is in tune with the universe, a candidate for high adventure.? Celestine Sibley

Offline Big Bear

• Original site owner
  • Non Active
« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2006, 11:09:40 PM »
Just as a comparison, the urethane thickness of the seat on the CBF600 is 79mm; on the CBF1000 it's 93mm.............. 

So it should be a little more comfy than the CBF600  ;D
« Last Edit: 30 March, 2006, 09:10:40 AM by Big Bear »

Offline Seed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2006, 12:47:28 PM »
Hi again all,

It's true that we're probably not all blessed with Lisa's extra padding  ;), but so far I've found the CBF1000 pretty comfy. I'll be riding to the Nurburgring 2-up in early May, so I'll report back again then.

I found a gel/memory foam pad that looks great - check it out at this site:
http://airrider.com/store/index.php (then click on memory gel pads)

Cheers,

Seed  :)