Author Topic: Which U-lock?  (Read 8215 times)

Offline niblue

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Which U-lock?
on: 13 June, 2009, 07:37:19 PM
Which U-lock would folks recommend that fits under the seat?

Offline dunelm

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: Redcar
Re: Which U-lock?
Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2009, 07:47:08 AM
I carry an Oxford Boss Alarm which is quite big so I guess most will fit.  Disc lock, alarm, takes a chain and has one of those curly yellow things to remind you its there. Thatcham approved.
 :031:

David

O'Duibhir, Virtus Sola Nobilitas

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2009, 06:52:07 PM
Hi Niblue

I got the Honda standard offering and paid 45 for it when bike went in for the first service.  It fits neatly under the rear seat - clips into place - and is sound.

Andy

Offline dunelm

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: Redcar
Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2009, 06:40:16 PM
Not seen these before, grip-Lock - clamps both your throttle and hand brake and would fit neatly under seat.

http://www.grip-lock.com/Grip-Locks/

David
O'Duibhir, Virtus Sola Nobilitas

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2009, 06:01:05 AM
Heard of these but the first time I have actually seen one.  Looks neat, easy to use and also very effective.  At least no more bent front discs.  Can anybody think of a reason why we shouldn't leave the bike with the brake locked tight on I would probably only use if nipping into the shops or something like that etc so would never be compressed for all that long.

Andy

:149:

Offline catfishsteve

• CBF Member
Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2009, 04:03:21 PM
I got a honda u lock last week on ebay for 13.00 + postage

Steve

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2009, 04:22:08 PM
Teeth of Hens, that was a bargin - how much extra were the keys :008:

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:51:57 PM
*Originally Posted by dunelm [+]
I carry an Oxford Boss Alarm which is quite big so I guess most will fit.  Disc lock, alarm, takes a chain and has one of those curly yellow things to remind you its there. Thatcham approved.

David

Yup I have the same, if I ride to work then hopefully I can hear it from my desk, In addition I use an "Oxford Monster lock and chain" when on tour and leave the bike outside overnight but this has its own case which fixes to the top of the pillion seat

Offline hdscot

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Skipton
Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2009, 03:56:12 PM
I was going to get the Honda version as it fits in the clips provided under the seat as you would expect for a Honda made item. Problem was my insurance company at the time insisted that the lock be Thatcham approved which unfortunately the Honda item is not. Ended up buying a disk lock instead.
HD

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #9 on: 30 June, 2009, 04:25:16 PM
The more lock things you tell your insurance company you have in the hope of getting an incy wincy discount off the premium, the more the insurance company will put restrictions on your policy requiring you to use the things or your bike will not be insured if some theiving scrote nicks it.  Unless the discount is massive for a big chain or something the best thing you can do is keep schtum to the insurance company (it's not like it's fitted or anything) and use it anyway as a deterrant. 

Me, I use the steering lock and have the Honda HISS and the insurers seem happy with that but then I am not in London or Leeds or Manchester of other such places that appear to support higher crime figures.  If out and about sometimes my 16mm chain (I can hardly lift it) and sometimes the Honda U bolt which isn't going to come off in a hurry unless the bike receives some serious damage, neither of these are on my insurance documents so I retain the discretion as to when I use them.

Andy

Last Edit: 30 June, 2009, 04:30:38 PM by Bifferman

diverse-leafy