Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda knuckle visors  (Read 12318 times)

Offline dunelm

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: Redcar
Honda knuckle visors
« on: 09 May, 2009, 03:37:23 AM »
Looking through a recent thread on the pros and cons of hand guards - esp the Ascerbis - see
https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,5117.0 I ordered the Honda Knuckle Visors (wind deflectors) Part number 08P72-MFA-800  for £60.

Pondering why Honda chose to call them  "knuckle visors" instead of something more descriptive like "wind deflectors", I fitted them yesterday.

Forward planning:
On a windy and rainy day (or on any day if you have one of those feeble minded anal retentive partners who blather on like a self centred 2 year old every time you proudly glance skywards into the wide blue yonder, hands on hips like Dougy Barder, and, chin out, and with a low angle shot, whisper the word "freedom"), excitedly check the weather forecast to ensure really c**p days ahead so as not to miss out as you need to wait 2 days for the adhesive to dry (full strength after 72 hours).

Tools:
Alen key from the toolkit
Cloth
Spirits (steady now)
Hairdryer (unless you are lucky enough to live somewhere warm)

Visor Kit: L & R visors and 4 metal collars (washer things - don't get over excited).
Outside image:

Inside image:

The Honda knuckle visors fit under the mirrors so first thing is to take them off by removing the 2 kex bolts with the alen key.

Using spirits and cloth, clean the area of grease and gunge.

Part peel back the two adhesive backing strips from the back of the visor and position, lining up the 2 holes with where the mirror bolts go and the edge of the fairing.

When happy, press down a while pealing off the adhesive backing strips.

Warm with hairdryer while pressing down if its a bit chilly.

Do the next one in the same way.

Plonk the metal collars into the holes and then replace the mirrors.

Visor fitted.
Front view:

Side View:

Tidy up. (15 minutes total including faffing on with camera)  :001:

Drink beer  :062: and put your feet up in front of the telly for 2 days  :003:

David

O'Duibhir, Virtus Sola Nobilitas

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: Honda knuckle visors
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2009, 09:06:09 AM »
Dave

I think the Honda Knuckle Dusters look the biz.  Certainly look part of the bike and as long as they do a reasonable job....................let us know pls (of course you will).

Adding bits to a bike to me is like adding an extension to your home, a good one doesn't make the house look extended.  Honda's part does this the Ascerbis, albeit possibly offering better protection (but I don't know this) simply does not - in fact to me they look yuck !

Andy

:149:

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2009, 09:45:53 AM »
Articles like Dunelms here I think need to be posted a second time on the technical articles section.  BIG BEAR PLEASE.    If someone subsequently writes something better then surely we could substitute and upgrade.

There are lots of good posts like this that are being lost in the mists of time and are becoming subject to the vagaries of the Search mechanism.

Andy

« Last Edit: 09 May, 2009, 11:39:22 AM by Bifferman »

Offline Josiah

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: White CBF1000
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2009, 09:51:10 AM »
I had these little jobbies fitted from new by the supplying dealer and after 10 months and 4300 odd miles, my conclusions are
1 They work
2 Only if you hold the bars in the middle of the grips not on the extremes of the grips.
3 I did not need to use my full on winter gloves at all this winter.

Due to illness and snow and ice I hardly used the bike from Nov thro till Feb so not a real full test.
I have also read that they act as crash bungs protecting the fairing, I hope not to find this out for myself.

Josiah
I'd rather ride it than clean it!

Offline dunelm

• CBF Legend
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2009, 11:17:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Josiah [+]
I had these little jobbies fitted from new by the supplying dealer and after 10 months and 4300 odd miles, my conclusions are
1 They work
2 Only if you hold the bars in the middle of the grips not on the extremes of the grips.
3 I did not need to use my full on winter gloves at all this winter.

Due to illness and snow and ice I hardly used the bike from Nov thro till Feb so not a real full test.
I have also read that they act as crash bungs protecting the fairing, I hope not to find this out for myself.

Josiah
Thanks for that Josiah,  I was a tad concerned about how they will hold up when fitting them.

David

Offline GeoffWilson

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
Fitted these HONDA ones to mine from new and as Josiah says..."THEY WORK" no matter how small they look...I've ridden home from rideout for constant 70-80 miles in pouring rain and gloves were almost dry... Look great and part of the bike, but then I do have the best colour...BLACK !!! Get them from davidsilverspares.co.uk ... mine were £35.00  plus vat and delivery... total well less than £50.00 and a doddle to fit (even for me) !

Offline dunelm

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2009, 04:34:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by GeoffWilson [+]
Fitted these HONDA ones to mine from new and as Josiah says..."THEY WORK" no matter how small they look...I've ridden home from rideout for constant 70-80 miles in pouring rain and gloves were almost dry... Look great and part of the bike, but then I do have the best colour...BLACK !!! Get them from davidsilverspares.co.uk ... mine were £35.00  plus vat and delivery... total well less than £50.00 and a doddle to fit (even for me) !
Well I am glad I fitted them :062: and also gutted that I keep forgetting about david silver.  :003:

Oh Well!
David

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2009, 05:27:09 PM »
The Honda ones do look the Bizzo and if the really do work then I might get some before my Manx venture.  Wet hands are not good and it is a decent hike to Heysham to get the ferry.

Thanks

Andy

« Last Edit: 11 March, 2016, 05:50:06 PM by Bifferman »

Offline John C.

• CBF Master
  • Bike: White NC700SA
  • City / Town: Crowthorne
« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2009, 05:29:02 PM »
I fitted these to my CBF and am pretty happy with them as well.  I did have a small problem when fitting.  One of the holes didn't quite line up and I had the devil's own job getting the screw started.  Got there in the end but it took rather longer than 15 minutes!  I did consider buying mine from David Silver but by the time you added VAT and delivery they were only £2.00 cheaper than my friendly local dealer, so I got them from him (always good to keep in with your local dealer!).
John C.
After 4 happy years on a CBF1000A, changed to a white NC700SA.  (Now on 2nd one after wrting first one off.)

Offline bonoeuf

• CBF Legend
  • County Durham UK
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: CBF600
« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2009, 08:03:43 PM »
I had them on from new and was never sure if they did anything, but nothing to compare with. My hands still got wet but they will when not moving quickly. Worth a go though and they look OK.
Marty
"My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don't deny it. I'd rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh -- anything but work."
Abraham Lincoln.