Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Biffer Air Horns - PHOTOS ADDED  (Read 8008 times)

Offline Trousersnake01

• Ex Member
Re: Biffer Air Horns - PHOTOS ADDED
« Reply #70 on: 23 May, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »
Has anyone had the tank off to see if there is space under it to place an air compressor for the trumpet horns
Look for me in your mirror

Offline dunelm

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: Redcar
« Reply #71 on: 23 May, 2009, 10:45:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Trousersnake01 [+]
Has anyone had the tank off to see if there is space under it to place an air compressor for the trumpet horns
I jacked mine up and held it with a C spanner against the bars when I routed the wiring and it looks tight. Didn't fancy taking the tank off though to have a really good look so don't know if there is a space directly under..
Should go under the seat though if that's an option.
 :031:
David
O'Duibhir, Virtus Sola Nobilitas

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #72 on: 24 May, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Trousersnake01 [+]

Hi TS.  Yes I have and no there isn't, not a prayer mate.  I have sassed out locations for the compressor on both ABS and non ABS versions of the Biffer - see my fitting post above.    I am keeping the L & R hand upper faring space available to fit the ballasts when I do the HID conversion. otherwise this was a possibility but I personally think my locations work better.  There is NO problem at all having a long run of tubing from a compressor fitted in the rear NS pod - I tried it and zero delay on air horns striking up.

Andy

:149:

Andy

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #73 on: 24 May, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brucey [+]
Interesting that you've positioned the Ring air horns where the original horn was. The Ring instructions said to keep the horns out of the elements, (why??) so I managed to squeeze them into either side of the top fairing by fabricating some brackets out of aluminium. The compressor is small enough to fit there as well. Have you had any problems with the horns outside in the elements? From personal experience, I can confirm that at 80 mph the Ring air horns are loud enough to stop a non-looking lane change.

I would be very interested to see a picture of exactly how you managed to mount your air horns.  Presumably the horns are mounted inside the L & R upper farings but the compressor there as well, it must be getting very tight for space.

As I said I am keeping the inside space in the upper farings free for the HID Ballasts when I fit HID's.

I used she Stebel triple horns but discarded the largest trumpet.  A bit difficult to fit three and the two higher trumpets combined are exactly the same frequency as a Ferrari 355 and on a couple of other Ferrari's as well and even the odd Maserati.  I have checked mine out at about the Ton and they can still be heard by lane wandering loonies.

The Ring horns are in fact made by Fiamm so quality should be excellent.  I have absolutely no problems with my Stebel horns located where they are, the trumpets are plastic of sorts, very strong although if a rock hit them at any speed i am sure they will break off as indeed would anything located there.   The horns also appear sealed and water does not effect them (Damn it they get hosed down with the rest of the bike on cleaning day !).  Nothing at all in the Stebel instructions regarding location.

Andy

« Last Edit: 24 May, 2009, 05:21:50 PM by Bifferman »

Offline mowjoe

• CBF Master
  • Norton 850 Commando Mk2A
  • City / Town: Bucklebury,Berks
« Reply #74 on: 29 May, 2009, 02:57:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]

When I bought my Magnum there were 2 plated straight brackets included in the shrink wrap kit which would do admirably.  Last night to check out for somebody else I wired up to a battery my now spare Magnum and the OEM tweeter and the combined sound is indeed much better than either horn by themselves so this is worth doing.  The Nautilus route is better again still but Magnum + OEM is not bad - discordant tones someone mentioned here :028:  The only downside of pairing the horns is the small possibility of the increased load effecting the horn switch.  There is a post on the site somewhere where someone had twinned the horns and reported no issues with the switch so hopefully this will not be an issue.  If in doubt then run through a relay and if you are going to that trouble you may as well fit a Nautilus in the first place.

Dave

Recording horn loudness for comparison purposes is a bit like trying to do a similar demo for the brightness of lighting systems, you have to be absolutely sure that standard comparable parameters exist and use the same testing equipment.  Seems to me that it would be a good guide on the tone though (and fun to do).

Andy

Hey Bifferman

Have added OEM horn to Magnum today, works well, much louder!
Thanks for the suggestion, would never have thought of coupling them up.  :031:

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #75 on: 29 May, 2009, 04:49:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by mowjoe [+]
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]

When I bought my Magnum there were 2 plated straight brackets included in the shrink wrap kit which would do admirably.  Last night to check out for somebody else I wired up to a battery my now spare Magnum and the OEM tweeter and the combined sound is indeed much better than either horn by themselves so this is worth doing.  The Nautilus route is better again still but Magnum + OEM is not bad - discordant tones someone mentioned here :028:  The only downside of pairing the horns is the small possibility of the increased load effecting the horn switch.  There is a post on the site somewhere where someone had twinned the horns and reported no issues with the switch so hopefully this will not be an issue.  If in doubt then run through a relay and if you are going to that trouble you may as well fit a Nautilus in the first place.

Dave

Recording horn loudness for comparison purposes is a bit like trying to do a similar demo for the brightness of lighting systems, you have to be absolutely sure that standard comparable parameters exist and use the same testing equipment.  Seems to me that it would be a good guide on the tone though (and fun to do).

Andy

Hey Bifferman

Have added OEM horn to Magnum today, works well, much louder!
Thanks for the suggestion, would never have thought of coupling them up.  :031:
Moejoe

Excellent stuff and glad you find them much improved. 

Andy

Offline Trousersnake01

• Ex Member
« Reply #76 on: 02 August, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
Biff, I have had a look at a very good post, its six pages now and I have got lost in the information contained.

I need to know as I'm about to do this,
1) Which trumpet did you discard ?
2) among everyday items, (can of linx) (tin of WD40), how would you compare the size of the compressor?
3) Did you consider placing one of the trumpets on the nearside, (I do a lot of lane three riding and often have a knob wander into my lane).
4) Is the compressor waterproof, I was thinking about other places it could be mounted, under the fairing , under the under tray above the back wheel.
Look for me in your mirror

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #77 on: 02 August, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »
Hi TS

I am a bit tight on time right now but will come back to you ASAP.  Alternatively PM me with your landline (don't respond to mobiles) and I will call you for a yak on the morrow.

Andy

diverse-leafy