Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Accidentally reversed battery polarity  (Read 2892 times)

Offline janper

Accidentally reversed battery polarity
« on: 01 March, 2009, 09:52:38 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking for help. :(

I had my battery charged today, and tried to put it back. Accidentally, I reversed the polarity, so I connected the red wire to the - first, then tried to connect the black to the -. After a few sparks, I realized what I'm doing, but after installing the battery correctly, nothing happens - not a single light anywhere (instrument panel, headlight, etc.). I've checked the fuses below the seat, and also the main one. I was not able to check whether the three-legged diode works well. The ignition was OFF during this, so I haven't started the motor with reversed polarity.

Could you please any advice? Of course I could bring it to a Honda service immediately, but if there's anything I can replace / check at home, then I'd do it before spending loads of money.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 01 March, 2009, 09:56:58 PM by janper »

Offline RhondaK

• CBF Master
Re: Accidentally reversed battery polarity
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2009, 11:14:47 PM »
Hi Janper,

Oh dear :003:

You may have been lucky and just blown a fuse but I'm afraid it's likely that some components have been damaged.

Have a look at :

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,5160.0

RK

Offline janper

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2009, 06:16:59 AM »
Thanks :003:. Only thing I can hope is that some cheaper part (or a fuse) has been damaged -- to tell the truth, this is a 2005 CBF600, not a CBF1000 -- so the electronics is not so sophisticated as it'd be in an FI engine.

Offline majik

• CBF Legend
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2009, 06:08:12 PM »
Check the fuses first. Then.       :192:   

Offline Breeze

• CBF Legend
« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »
 :084: you may have blown the battery, that would explain why you have nothing at all but i`m afraid you will have done some serious damage to the electrics. You may have saved somethings with the bike ignition switched off, but there are things like alternator diodes that may not have faired so well. This is a job for an expert to save any more damage. 

Offline CyberClaw

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2009, 09:00:46 PM »
Well the obvious thing is replacing one of the fuses, and see if you get any lights at all, but you already checked them... But what are the chances of blowing every electrical component? I'd check the fuses again, or measure the battery (it might have discharged, or maybe it died for good).

Offline janper

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »
Ah, great :) I checked all the fuses, except the 15A one hidden below the ABS fuses. :) Everything works now. Thanks for the help.

Offline majik

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
Glad its sorted M8  :028:

Offline Sonic

• CBF Legend
« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »
You were very very lucky!

Offline Mick

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2009, 11:30:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonic [+]
You were very very lucky!

:0461: Indeed you were.
It could have cost a grand easy if the clever stuff had blown. Pay attention, make a sketch and take a photo. A warning to us all!  :465:
Mick

diverse-leafy