Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: tyre scrubbing advice  (Read 2184 times)

Offline I2theAN

• CBF Master
Re: tyre scrubbing advice
« Reply #20 on: 14 February, 2009, 03:21:34 PM »
Tyres used to come with a speed limit on the first 50 miles because, I was told, the casting fluid that they used to ease the new tyre out of the mould made them stiff and less grippy. After 50 miles, the tyre assumed its natural sidewall flex. I am told that new tyres are made differently but because they aren't scrubbed in when you buy them, you have to be careful although old habits die hard and I still take it easy for 50 miles or so. Racing tyres and road tyres are chalk and cheese. Professional racing teams may sand down the smooth bits, I don't know.  In my experience, club racers don't sand tyres, they ride them and gradually explore their limits to scrub them in. Of course, racing tyres are 'uncooked' rubber and in the heat of a race will go off as they harden with heat. If the rider has picked too soft a rubber, they go off all the quicker.  Professional racers chuck them away after each race but club racers on a budget don't until others riders outbrake them or zip past them in corners when they are struggling to get grip.  Or they just fall off and say "sh*t, I should have changed them sooner." Trying not to look like a poser, I tend to lean off the bike a bit and keep it upright.  In my opinion, anyone riding regularly in the so-called 'chicken strip' should be track riding as once you are in that territory, the only place can go after that, is onto your backside.

Offline Sonic

• CBF Legend
« Reply #21 on: 14 February, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brucey [+]
Sorry guys, but I think that, with all due respect, you are worrying about nothing here. If you take it easy for 100 miles, i.e. not charging into bends at high lean angles, and then gradually increase the lean as the miles increase, you will have no problem. Wet miles do count as scrubbing in, as if there was no friction to rough up the surface there would also be no friction to stop you falling off mid-bend. I've been riding for 27 years, and only once in that time did I have a pair of tyres that actually were slippy when new. (Bridgstone O2Os on a CBR600). Within 30 miles, they were fine, but I still left it until 100 miles before increasing the lean angle.

I've never, ever used anything other than riding to scrub tyres in. Using sand paper seems bonkers to me. How do you know how much to do?

:0461:
I agree with Brucey, just keep it smooth & increase the lean angle on bends as you go along. 100 miles is a catch all. The last set I had I rode to work & back 20 & they were nicely scrubbed in then.

Offline andy274

• CBF Pro
« Reply #22 on: 14 February, 2009, 06:30:33 PM »
well it seems ive started something here...I really appreciate all the assistance guys.  As a complete novice, i had no idea of what i should/shouldnt be doing.  I think that the car park idea is a winner.  all i was worried about was not sufficiently having the tyres scrubbed in when i go for my training day & ERS assessment.
Just waiting for a dry(ish) spell & im off to a car park!
Once again, thanks for the response guys.  It just proves that a forum such as this is an excellent resource!!!!
Andy
Andy
Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!

Offline bignige

• CBF Master
« Reply #23 on: 14 February, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
As I understand it you take it easy for the first 100 miles or so because.
1, the tyre needs to fully bedded in the the rim.
2, The preservitive or releasing compound on some new tyres needs to be scrubbed off.
3, In the very wet a shiny new tyre does not grip manhole covers & tar joints well.

Can't see how you can scrub all the surace area in (or need to) in 100 miles,  sometimes it takes weeks for the right conditions & roads to apear to get completly shot of your chicken strips, so I've never worried obout getting right over on new tyres- it happens when it happens !  :084:
" It is  better to light a candle than complain about the darkness"

Offline JohnnieBoy

• CBF Master
  • T J F
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2008
  • City / Town: Biggleswade
« Reply #24 on: 15 February, 2009, 02:24:44 PM »
Just to chuck in my 2 pennyworth, I've never sanded a tyre and never fallen off because of a new tyre.  I find an effective way to get some early scrubbing sone is to counterlean your body in a few gentle bends, (ie trying to sit upright while leaning the bike beneath you), so you're deliberately putting the edges of the tyre on the road.   You don't have to be going fast.

This is safe if you choose your moments, and takes the shine off a new tyre within a few bends.

The 100 mile thing is rubbish.  Ride for 200 miles on a motorway and the edges will still shine!

It's just oversafe advice for riders who wouldn't otherwise give it a thought, but results in much worry and overcaution!

Cheers all,

Johnnie
Johnnie Boy

Offline I2theAN

• CBF Master
« Reply #25 on: 15 February, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
While I don't think taking it easy for a few miles to let the tyre bed in a bit will do any harm, JohnnieBoy may be right. You can do a motocross thing and lean it over but you still have to go over a fair way to do it.  My big right foot has frequently scraped the road, especially on roundabouts and I felt that I was a long way over but I see that I still have a half inch untouched strip to the tyre's edge. I have seen an accident at a track day when an amateur rider on a powerful track bike couldn't abandon his old road habits of leaning over with his body on the bike's centre line and was even pushing it down at hairpins (his son who usually rides it had warned him about it) and put too much power through the tyre's edge, fetching him off. I prefer to keep the bike up and put power through a bigger contact patch.  I'll stay chicken. Now what did I do with that boar's a**e sandpaper?   

Offline spartan117

• CBF Legend
« Reply #26 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by mowjoe [+]
Absolutely no offence intended Spartan, just never heard of artifical means to bed a tyre in before, I just take it easy for a bit as has been well explained. As Olivia Newton-John said......just FEEL your way!! :mfrlol:

Each to their own, think some of us may have a touch of cabin fever after all this crap weather......need to get out to burn some. :152:

None taken M8 and I like the Olivia Newton John reference.   :034:
"Kissing frogs makes you squirm, kissing tarmac makes you scream, keep upright."

Offline iain

• CBF Pro
  • T.D.C. MCC
« Reply #27 on: 16 February, 2009, 08:47:26 AM »
The original post of sanding tyres was made in ref to tyres which had been broken in with purley str8 miles leavin  massive shiny chicken strips. The reason for doin it was so i didnt go from grippy center to slippy cornering. Contrary to some posts i dont believe it was 'stupid' quite the opposite it worked a treat.
CBF 1000 AGT

diverse-leafy