Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: tyre scrubbing advice  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Big Bear

• Original site owner
  • Non Active
Re: tyre scrubbing advice
« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2009, 04:03:39 PM »
What you don't do is nail the bike on partial lean 5 minutes after leaving the tyre fitters. If you do that you'll find out what a high side is.....  :138:

As others have said all you need to do is ride fairly gently for the first 20 miles and then slowly increase the pace and the amount of lean up to about 100 miles. By then they'll be ready for some welly. Trouble is in this current weather you probably won't be getting much heat in the tyres and you probably won't be leaning it over as much as you would in the summer. Just take it easy and you'll be fine.

Offline soph9

• CBF Master
  • 2010 BMW F650GS
« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »
go to a parking lot that is clean of debris....and do figure 8's as though you were practicing for your skills test....as the tires warm up...tighten up the turns and make sure your reverse your direction.  Do this for 15 mins or so every so often until your chicken strips gets wider and close to the edge....

this help get any factory crap off the tires and breaks them in faster then just riding carefully for the first 100 miles...
Vancouver, Home of the 2010 WINTER Olympics ;-)
Other Bikes we owned:
2006 Suzuki GS500
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Silver & Red)
2008 Honda CBF 1000 (Black & Silver)
2009 Harley Davidson Fatboy
2009 Harley Davidson Street Bob

Offline Brucey

• CBF Member
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2009, 08:14:20 PM »
Sorry guys, but I think that, with all due respect, you are worrying about nothing here. If you take it easy for 100 miles, i.e. not charging into bends at high lean angles, and then gradually increase the lean as the miles increase, you will have no problem. Wet miles do count as scrubbing in, as if there was no friction to rough up the surface there would also be no friction to stop you falling off mid-bend. I've been riding for 27 years, and only once in that time did I have a pair of tyres that actually were slippy when new. (Bridgstone O2Os on a CBR600). Within 30 miles, they were fine, but I still left it until 100 miles before increasing the lean angle.

I've never, ever used anything other than riding to scrub tyres in. Using sand paper seems bonkers to me. How do you know how much to do?

Offline johnstg2

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000F-AB
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2009, 08:27:48 PM »
I've read these replies with interest - some good ideas here but I still don't see how riding at a mild lean angle will help the edge of the tyre. Sooner or later you will have to lean over hard on to a bit of the tyre that has never been in contact with the road before.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong here) a new ture is slippery because to is coated in some form of "oil" to help its release from the mould during manufacture. Surely the tyre manufacturer could treat the surface in some way to make it safe for use when brand new?
Boys never grow up - their toys just get more expensive.

Offline soph9

• CBF Master
  • 2010 BMW F650GS
« Reply #14 on: 13 February, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »
manufacturers deny using any oils from what I understand...all I can say is what I did...figure 8's...playing in a parking lot helped break in my tires really well and gave me the confidence of the grip just fine....
Vancouver, Home of the 2010 WINTER Olympics ;-)
Other Bikes we owned:
2006 Suzuki GS500
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Silver & Red)
2008 Honda CBF 1000 (Black & Silver)
2009 Harley Davidson Fatboy
2009 Harley Davidson Street Bob

Offline Trefoil

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: GTR 1400
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #15 on: 13 February, 2009, 10:21:21 PM »
These days tyres have high levels of grip, even when new.

The issue with scrubbing new tyres by normal gentle riding improves the levels of grip, removes any final traces of mould release agents or anything else that they may have collected during transportation and storage.

It also gives the rider a chance to get used to the tyres and any changes to the handling characteristics of the bike.

I really do not see the point of getting out sandpaper or anything else to rough up the surface of the tyre - that to me is plan stupid.

Plus and its a big plus it is an excuse to take the bike out for ride  :015:

Tref
There are only solutions

Offline mowjoe

• CBF Master
  • Norton 850 Commando Mk2A
  • City / Town: Bucklebury,Berks
« Reply #16 on: 14 February, 2009, 09:01:39 AM »
 :0461:
No sanding down....may put them out of balance!!

Offline spartan117

• CBF Legend
« Reply #17 on: 14 February, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Trefoil [+]
These days tyres have high levels of grip, even when new.

The issue with scrubbing new tyres by normal gentle riding improves the levels of grip, removes any final traces of mould release agents or anything else that they may have collected during transportation and storage.

It also gives the rider a chance to get used to the tyres and any changes to the handling characteristics of the bike.

I really do not see the point of getting out sandpaper or anything else to rough up the surface of the tyre - that to me is plan stupid.

Plus and its a big plus it is an excuse to take the bike out for ride  :015:

Tref

I've been called a lot of things Tref but I can't recall stupid being one of them M8 or maybe with age my memory isn't as sharp as it once was and I've just forgotten about it!  From my point of view I will try to put some perspective on this, I have 'scrubbed' the surface of every new tyre I have ever owned artificially with a medium grade sandpaper or in more recent times carborundum paper.  I use light finger pressure only sufficient to take the new polished look off the tyre surface, as I mentioned above "not too much mind", and to visibly roughen the surface but I still take it easy on them for about 50 miles or so.  I believe the original post was simply asking for some advice and that was the spirit in which I posted my response.  I didn't say it was the best or only way to scrub in tyres, in fact I agreed with soph9 about using an parking lot to also scrub in tyres.  For me sanding works, for others it may not; it is up to the individual to use what ever advice he or she feels happy with.

*Originally Posted by mowjoe [+]
:0461:
No sanding down....may put them out of balance!!

Sorry mowjoe but I've never put a tyre out of balance with finger sanding but I reckon I could do it easily with a mains electric sanding disc.  If you think finger sanding could be bad look at the runnels and ridges of surface rubber on your tyres after a few laps on a track day; looks like someone has taken a blowtorch to em but they still ride true don't they?  :mfrlol:

"Kissing frogs makes you squirm, kissing tarmac makes you scream, keep upright."

Offline mowjoe

• CBF Master
  • Norton 850 Commando Mk2A
  • City / Town: Bucklebury,Berks
« Reply #18 on: 14 February, 2009, 10:56:37 AM »
Absolutely no offence intended Spartan, just never heard of artifical means to bed a tyre in before, I just take it easy for a bit as has been well explained. As Olivia Newton-John said......just FEEL your way!! :mfrlol:

Each to their own, think some of us may have a touch of cabin fever after all this crap weather......need to get out to burn some. :152:

Offline dazoo

• CBF Pro
« Reply #19 on: 14 February, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »
Comes down to what makes you feel comfortable.

There is no need to sand tyres, but I'm sure it has the desired effect - adds a little grip and makes you feel more comfortable. Same as a mate of mine who would insist on constantly feeling the clutch cover to check the engine temp. No need to do it, but if it's what he wants to do then good luck.

It also comes down to confidence. I am confident that I know my bike well enough that I can judge when there is low friction. If you're not confident that you have that level of feedback or judgement of the bike (or are simply not prepared to take the chance), then ride for 100 miles nice and gently, or indeed get the sandpaper out. (I have considered it to prep a set of slicks so not to waste track time).

However 100 miles on a Sunday blast is very different to 100 miles commuting. I could commute for a week, do 400 miles and not have the tyres bedded on the edges. Two laps of Oulton and the tyres have been to both edges. So 100 miles is a figure given as a safety margin with the odds being that within 100 miles most people will have given the tyres at least some chance to bed in.

Personally I agree that this is much ado about nothing. You can get out and ride gently for a couple of miles then just beware that you should increase your lean angle gradually over the next couple of miles. But go for knee down without a couple of exploratory leans and you'll be sorry.

My riding is at 100% within 5-10 miles if there are a couple of roundabouts in the route. Most of my friends are the same. Nobody that I know has fallen off because of new tyres.

daZoo
07 GSXR750 Phantom
06 CBF1000 ABS
05 KTM 200EXC
(CB250n,CBX750f,GSF1200s,TL1000r,RSVR,DRZ400s,200EXC,950SM)