Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: tyre scrubbing advice  (Read 2174 times)

Offline andy274

• CBF Pro
tyre scrubbing advice
« on: 12 February, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »
Hi guys
can anyone offer me some advice please, ive just had my new avon storm ST's fitted & as never before having had new tyres im a bit lost when it comes to 'scrubbing in'.  The fitter looked bemused as i asked him what it meant, all he told me was that i had to take it easy for the 1st 100 dry miles.  Wet miles dont count towards the 'scrub' apparently, so what do i do?
I went out on the biffer last night & clocked up 30 miles on the cold hard frost (icy in parts) salt covered roads...so would these count as valid scrubbing miles...
Only reason im asking is that i have a day ride & ERS booked for a couple of weeks & dont want to come a cropper because my tyres arent scrubbed enough...
Can you guys help me in any way?
cheers
Andy
Andy
Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!

Offline CORNWALLPAUL

• CBF Pro
Re: tyre scrubbing advice
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2009, 05:21:27 PM »
Hi Andy it means because the tyres are new and shiny they are sometimes a bit slippery,so by riding the bike taking it easy the tyres will rough up so making them better for grip,bit like sand paper being rough it grips better.

Offline andy274

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2009, 06:58:11 PM »
Cheers Paul,
what im wondering is; is there a correlation between how long i can start to lean the bike over towards the outer edge of the tyre & how many miles it takes to scrub the tyres???
I dont want to take it easy then after 100ish miles lean the bike over with a bit of confidence & have it slide from underneath me because theyve not been scrubbed enough.
Or will the scrubbing & heating of the tyre readicate this problem?
Am i making sense or not???  :087:
lol
cheers
Andy
Andy

Offline iain

• CBF Pro
  • T.D.C. MCC
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »
a few years back i bought a cbf600 and the front tyre had massive chicken strips(unworn parts) and the middle had decent ware. B4 taking it for a swift ride on the 2nd day i scrubbed the shiny parts with a bita wet and dry (on advice from an exp rider) seemed to do the trick.....
CBF 1000 AGT

Offline iain

• CBF Pro
  • T.D.C. MCC
« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »
U are making sense. The warmer the tyre the grippier. If shiny still not as grippy tho. Try taking it to a dry grippy car park and doing a few circles in each direction and then get off and asses the ware. Do this until not shiny problem sorted.

I have never had problems with new tyres but its always in the back of ur mind. Take it easy and build confidence rather than going out and relying on what io or anybody says. After all ive never riden ur bike or ridden on Avons

Health to ride
CBF 1000 AGT

Offline dazoo

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:40:05 PM »
There is no exact science. You can scrub a set of tyres in two laps of a track - the 100 miles thing is just a catch-all. All you need to do is gradually push them over further and further. You'll feel when they are over too far.

On the road, I make a point of going for a 10-20 mile run on the new tyres and just push the bike over further on each bend. If you're in doubt, stopo and feel the tyres - if they are still slimy, they are not run in.
daZoo
07 GSXR750 Phantom
06 CBF1000 ABS
05 KTM 200EXC
(CB250n,CBX750f,GSF1200s,TL1000r,RSVR,DRZ400s,200EXC,950SM)

Offline thosoneill

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2009, 11:18:24 PM »
i endorse the advice of a big empty car park and going around in circles  :002:

Offline spartan117

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by thosoneill [+]
i endorse the advice of a big empty car park and going around in circles  :002:

:0461:  Works for me M8 as does sanding em, not too harshly mind.   :mfrlol:
"Kissing frogs makes you squirm, kissing tarmac makes you scream, keep upright."

Offline andy274

• CBF Pro
« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2009, 08:25:53 AM »
thanks for the advice guys, i think that the best way to go is to use a combo of both sets of advice...a very very fine wet/dry sandpaper & take the shine off & then some car park sessions. 
Once again, thanks for the advice, its really helpful
Andy

PS the grip ive experienced so far is superb on the ST's.  Maybe its just the placebo effect, but they give me more confidence than the 021's id replaced them with already! Cant wait to feel them out once they are properly scrubbed in!!!  Will keep you posted
Andy

Offline oggie

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2009, 03:50:47 PM »
Hi Andy,
My Tyre Dealer is about 30 miles from home,
I generally find that a combination of gentle riding, a few well placed roundabouts & some quite twisty A roads has them scrubbed in by the time i get home.
                  Happy Riding.

diverse-leafy