Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Could It Be? A Chink In Biffer's Supreme Ridability Crown?!  (Read 3451 times)

Offline AussieRider

• CBF Master
  • Above all, have FUN!!
Re: Could It Be? A Chink In Biffer's Supreme Ridability Crown?!
« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2008, 05:12:45 AM »
Thanks everyone for chiming in on this one - some great responses there and I feel they are helping me come to terms with Biff's revvy nature. I only really have two sorts of concerns with this whole subject 1) the buzz gets a little bit much on long rides in top and 2) I worry that the poor 'ol Biff is gonna wear itself out prematurely!  :114:
Now, I know I don't really have to worry about the second point - Biff can look after herself as the guru Honda engineers have surely seen to that (isn't everything disposable these days anyway!?)
But regarding the first point I do understand, as many of you stated, that the compromise is probably worth it. The majority of my riding will certainly be on the twisty bits, up and down, so the immediate response (esp in top) will definitely be appreciated.
I suppose where a bit of my fear is coming from is that on Oct 11th I'm going on the longest (country environment) bike ride I've ever been on. I will be in the Biff's saddle for about 4 hours (with a couple of stops probably) and I was fretting a bit on the top gear buzziness I'll get throughout the ride.
Anyway, thanks to everyones words of wisdom it's helped me rekindle the reasons I first fell in love with Raging Red - her flexibility (unlike the other raging woman in my life!).
Cheers all.  :031:
Past: Suzuki Quadzilla LT500R(2-stroke 1987 Quadracer), Honda XL600(1983), Honda XL500S (1979), Honda XL250 (1978), Honda XL175 (1976), Kawasaki MC90 (1973)
Current: '04 Suzuki DR650 & Sienna Red '08 CBF1000, '10 Yamy MT-01
A fool TELLS me HIS reasons, a wise man PERSUADES me with MINE. Aristotle

andyscbf1000

« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2008, 07:36:35 AM »
Hi AR

If you look you will find some threads on altering the chain sprockets to give the bike longer legs.  Seems like one extra on the front would do the trick but I would like to investigate the options and ramifications a bit more before I changed anything on my Biff.

Only 300Km, the weather has been great in Sydney www.wunderground.com would have expected much more from you.  Stop reading the forum and get out there!  I used to like the Old Pacific Highway to the west of KuRinGai Nat Pk towards Gosford and then the Gt North Road through Yallambie to Wollombi (great bike stop).

90 km/hr (55mph), good grief man I am still in first  :005:  :164: .

Just about every bike I have ridden could have done with an overdrive on top, even my ancient  Honka 250 Custom.

Andy

Offline AndyX11

• CBF Member
« Reply #12 on: 22 September, 2008, 07:55:12 AM »
AussieRider I'm experiencing the same effect too, so as it happens my other bike the Honda CB1100 X11 has 17 tooth front sprockets and the Biffer only 16 tooth one, so assuming that clever mr Honda has made the shaft spline a std size shall put on a genuine Honda cushioned 17 tooth front sprocket and compare. I believe that one tooth up on the front is equivelant to 3 teeth off the rear sprocket, so shall be an interesting experiment.

Regards
AndyX11 
It aint the power it's how you use it; Ride Safe!

andyscbf1000

« Reply #13 on: 22 September, 2008, 08:05:11 AM »
I am sure somebody on the forum has already been changing sprockets but I can't remember who - Vlass or AndyinV ?

Andy

Offline twizit

• CBF Pro
« Reply #14 on: 22 September, 2008, 09:01:46 AM »
AR - had the same thing too at first but I just put it down to getting to know a new bike with such fantasic "pull" - constantly had to try for that 7th gear when it felt like I needed to change up.  2,500 miles in and I'm well used to it now and it definitely isn't "buzzy" on long journeys - done a couple of 4 hour plus stretches and it's the most relaxing bike I've riden to date.

Thinking about it the reason I was always looking for that extra 7th gear wasn't ever because the revs were too high in 6th - more that there was so much pull still coming from the engine that my brain and prior experience were telling me that i still needed to change up into top "cruising gear" - you just have to get used to the fact that Biff will keep pulling and pulling in ALL gears  :001:  (something I quickly found from experience... you know how it goes..... quiet road, pootling along at 70.... hmmm wonder how well it goes.....  quick twist of the throttle.....   before I knew it, up to 120 and the blooming thing was still pulling like a train  :062:)

Offline nobby

• CBF Pro
« Reply #15 on: 22 September, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »
I haven't found myself looking for another gear.  My last bike was a GTR 1000, after that the CBF1000 is just fine.  I can't see what the problem is.  I know that when I'm sitting on "highway speeds" if I need to accelerate to overtake (or whatever) I only need to twist the throttle, no real need to change down through the gearbox. 
Maybe I'm too easy to please!! :001:

Grow Old Disgracefully

Offline twizit

• CBF Pro
« Reply #16 on: 22 September, 2008, 11:23:29 AM »
Hey Nobby, I think my gist is that it depends what you're used to and what bike you've come from.  My previous was a Fazer 600 which didn't really get going until it was well north of 9,000 RPM, so the grunt of the CBF in 6th is a little different  :123:  Well used to it now though and like it I do.... LOTS  :061:

Offline AussieRider

• CBF Master
  • Above all, have FUN!!
« Reply #17 on: 22 September, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
Hey guys, This is really great stuff. I can't imagine what my brand new foray into the world of 'real' road bikes would be like if I didn't have you guys as back stop to explore the odd worry or two I might have from time to time. Fair dinkum, you guys truly ROCK - every one of you! Even tootling along learning about Biff on a slow ride I'm thinking about what you guys say
- you're all my mentors!  :072:
Back to business now . . . or the subject at least - Nobby brings up a good point (I think). That a strong top gear roll on at a simple twist is, of course, invaluable. Again, my big road bike experience is very limited but I can imagine not all bike bikes may respond like Biff at freeway speeds (short of Kwaka ZX14). On my relatively short test rides on CB13, Tiger, Fazer (and even MT-01) I do (just) recall Biff having the best response at freeway speeds - bar none! The price one pays for this is, I am sure, the extra busy-ness (I won't say buzziness anymore!). So be it . . . if we did have that 7th gear I suppose some of us may even then complain that "throttle response in 7th is pretty flat" - can't please 'em all! Long live our REVVY 'lil Biff Bike.  :001:

PS: Hey, just had a wild thought - can you imagine a turbocharged Biff!! It would be perfect as not many bikes would suit like Biff as she's always ready and in the rev range. Sounds like a match made in heaven. I reckon there would be zero turbo lag. Imagine the site of the thing hanging off the side of our luverly motor there . . . . OK, I'll settle down now.  :156:
« Last Edit: 22 September, 2008, 11:49:10 AM by AussieRider »
Past: Suzuki Quadzilla LT500R(2-stroke 1987 Quadracer), Honda XL600(1983), Honda XL500S (1979), Honda XL250 (1978), Honda XL175 (1976), Kawasaki MC90 (1973)

Offline AussieRider

• CBF Master
  • Above all, have FUN!!
« Reply #18 on: 22 September, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by andyscbf1000 [+]
Hi AR    If you look you will find some threads on altering the chain sprockets to give the bike longer legs.  Seems like one extra on the front would do the trick but I would like to investigate the options and ramifications a bit more before I changed anything on my Biff.

Only 300Km, the weather has been great in Sydney www.wunderground.com would have expected much more from you.  Stop reading the forum and get out there!  I used to like the Old Pacific Highway to the west of KuRinGai Nat Pk towards Gosford and then the Gt North Road through Yallambie to Wollombi (great bike stop).

90 km/hr (55mph), good grief man I am still in first  :005:  :164: .

Just about every bike I have ridden could have done with an overdrive on top, even my ancient  Honka 250 Custom.

Andy

Funny you should say that Andy. My brother in law took me to Wollombi for the first time a month ago (on my DR650 - what a wind battle!). Had breakfast at the cafe but stayed away from the Pub sadly. I think that ride is now my favourite and the breakfast was great too! Another great ride is around to Spencer for breakfast. Damn Andy - why'd ya leave the Land Of Oz - sounds like we must have passed a few times on the Old Road on a Sunday morning! Salt on the roads AND cold over there - what were you thinking?  :190:

andyscbf1000

« Reply #19 on: 22 September, 2008, 12:51:08 PM »
AR

Too old now, can't get the Visa, but if I could I would :019: :019:  Now that Amanda Vanstone woman who used to be charge of 'The Boarder Patrol' (Immigration to everybody else) she WAS a BIG lady.

How can you go to Wollombi without entering the W Tavern to sample Dr Jude's Jungle Juice, free at the bar.  Serious mix between, sweet sherry, cheap port and cough medicine.  Need at least a couple of schooners to wash the stuff down with.

For those not having the pleasure, Wollombi is a real Aussie town in the Hunter Valley NSW about 100 miles north of Sydney.

A serious biker stop :123:

Andy

diverse-leafy