Author Topic: Plitvicka Jezera National Park - Croatia  (Read 1199 times)

Offline vlassishlk

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000A (06)
  • City / Town: Eyboia
Plitvicka Jezera National Park - Croatia
on: 09 September, 2008, 11:50:29 AM
The Plitvicka Jezera National Park

I copy from Wiki:
The Plitvice Lakes ([pli'tviʦɛ̝], Croatian: Plitvička jezera) are a national park in Croatia, situated at  44.85° N 15.62° E, in the Plitvice Lakes municipality, near the border with Bosnia and Herzegovina.
 Geography and geology
The lakes are situated on the eponymous Plitvice plateau, between the mountains of Lička Plješevica (Gornja Plješevica peak 1,640 m), Mala Kapela (Seliški Vrh peak at 1,280 m) and Medveđak (884 m). The sixteen lakes are separated into an upper and lower cluster formed by runoff from the mountains, descending from an altitude of 636 m to 503 m over a distance of some eight km, aligned in a south-north direction. The lakes collectively cover an area of about two km˛, with the water exiting from the lowest lake to form the Korana River.
The Plitvice Lakes lie in a basin of karstic rock, mainly dolomite and limestone, which has given rise to their most distinctive feature. The lakes are separated by natural dams of travertine, which is deposited by the action of moss, algae and bacteria. The encrusted plants and bacteria accumulate on top of each other, forming travertine barriers which grow at the rate of about 1 cm per year.
The lakes are renowned for their distinctive colours, ranging from azure to green, grey or blue. The colours change constantly depending on the quantity of minerals or organisms in the water and the angle of sunlight.
The lakes are divided into the 12 Upper Lakes (Gornja jezera) and the four Lower Lakes (Donja jezera).

And now my review

Arrival by car or motorcycle
The easiest way is to take the A1 highway. Either coming from Zagreb or Split you will find exit signs to the plitvicka jezera national park, which will lead you to the D1 expressway. The D1 expressway passes through the national park so it’s quite easy to get there. There two entrances Entrance1 (Ulaz1) and entrance 2 (Ulaz 2).  These two entrances are only a few kms one from the other.

On both entrances there are HUGE parking areas inside the forest. For motorcycles it’s free, you just bypass the bars from the side and find a nice place to park under the trees. Of course you can find restaurants, shops and info kiosks near the entrance. If you need to find accommodation you just go to the info kiosk, where you will be asked the type of accommodation you are looking for, and they will find the suitable place for you. The cost for a double room with WC/shower and sat tv near the entrances is about 40-50euros/night per room (that is 280-350kuna which is the local currency -- 1euro=7kn).

The best thing to do if you want to see the biggest part of the park is to enter the park as early as possible in the morning, since you can easily spend 6-8 hours walking around the paths. As time passes tourist coaches arrive and it can get quite crowded on the footpaths, but there is room for everyone.

Inside the park there are 3 large rest areas, with self service restaurants, shops e.t.c so you don’t have to take water or food with you. There are 5 proposed routes inside the area of the park (route A to route G2-see photo), which mainly has to do with the available time you have. This doesn’t mean you cannot make a combination of these. There are signs like the above photo along the way which help you find your way.

If you get tired of walking there are shuttle buses that will take you to the entrances or to any of the 4 available bus stops inside the park.
Also there are some nice electric boats that can take you from the one side of the lake to the other if you don’t want to walk too much.
Both shuttle buses and boat rides are free as long as you have your entrance ticket.
The entrance ticket costs 110kn (15 euros) and is valid for one day but there are discounts for groups, children e.t.c. (TIP: It is possible and easy to enter the park without paying the ticket. As I mentioned earlier the D1 expressway passes through the national park. 500 meters before entrance 1 as you are coming from entrance 2 along the D1, the footpaths of the park are only 15 meters from the expressway and there are no fences to restrict access so you park your bike at the side of the road and enter from there. There is no ticket control in the park, but you will not be able to use the shuttle busses or the electric boats.
Inside the park you can also rent  small wooden boats the take up to 4 people and with the use of oars cruise on the lakes. The cost is 50kn (7euros) for 60 minutes + 50kn deposit which are given back once you bring the boat back in a good condition.

You can easily spend a day walking around the lakes, with tens of small or big waterfalls around you. The scenery is amazing, if you ever visit Croatia you must see this. It’s one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. We spent a whole day from 8:30 in the morning to 6:30 in the evening walking around and it was marvelous.

You can see some photos HERE

You can download a Photostory video file (.wmv file) Here

Choose the free user button

Last Edit: 11 September, 2008, 11:02:16 AM by vlassishlk

Offline Breeze

• CBF Legend
Re: Plitvicka Jezera National Park - Croatia
Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2008, 07:27:17 PM
 :001: Hi vlassis nice report , can`t see pictures or video, link doesn`t seem to connect.  :mfrlol:

Offline vlassishlk

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:20:07 AM
I think I fixed it, does it work now?

Offline martins cbf1000

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBR1100BLACKBIRD
  • City / Town: newport
Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:45:11 AM
the links working fine now m8 some more great pics , that water is so clear, :)
CBR1100XX its not for girls,

Offline Breeze

• CBF Legend
Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2008, 07:49:40 PM
 :001: Hi Vlassis, That`s sorted the link for the photo`s brilliant as ever, I`ve only looked at one country yet, was that you putting the coils and things on in the wood shed.  The other thing I remembered was about the video it won`t download unless you are running internet explorer to view CBF1000 site , I think we had this trouble last time t wouldn`t work through AOL browser, I`m downloading as I type this. Should be there now will have a look  :mfrlol:

Offline Breeze

• CBF Legend
Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2008, 09:00:25 PM
 :001: Yes, very good, If you ever need other employment you might think about photography. I liked the lakes pictures with the nice musical  accompaniment. thank you for sharing these with us  :mfrlol:

Offline vlassishlk

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2008, 10:52:34 AM
*Originally Posted by Breeze [+]
:001: Hi Vlassis, That`s sorted the link for the photo`s brilliant as ever, I`ve only looked at one country yet, was that you putting the coils and things on in the wood shed.  The other thing I remembered was about the video it won`t download unless you are running internet explorer to view CBF1000 site , I think we had this trouble last time t wouldn`t work through AOL browser, I`m downloading as I type this. Should be there now will have a look  :mfrlol:

:mfrlol: Yes it's me in the shed putting the coils together.  :mfrlol:
Very beautiful places, that's the reason the photos are nice. Especially Plitvicka Jezera is an amazing place, I suppose that's how Paradise is supposed to be!

diverse-leafy