Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Illegal overtaking  (Read 4907 times)

andyscbf1000

Re: Illegal overtaking
« Reply #60 on: 10 September, 2008, 07:48:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by dis36 [+]
not sure what to say after reading all these comments , i have had loads of bikes ridden with loads of people and up untill 4 years ago used one every day. ive always took it for granted that on most roads ~bike speed!~was 80-100 and within reason what u catch up u go past.
R u realy saying that for instance when i went to scotland in the summer on a blackbird with 552miles to go on the first day u should stay at 60 and 70! it took ten hours as it was! If this is the case what the hell is the point of a 1000cc motorbike might as well buy one of them comfy scooter things or a 250 and save on petrol, insurance etc?
On the petrol note while running in  (no more than 5000rpm) but not on a long run got 48mpg. My Triumph Daytona 955i on a s plate does this all the time and on a long run does over 50! bye all

You will not be considering a Biffer then ?

Offline Furlongs

• CBF Master
« Reply #61 on: 10 September, 2008, 09:41:29 AM »
Dis36:   I think I know where you are coming from, can't speak for others but whether it is considered dangerous or not I believe that we have all 'pushed on' given the time and safety to do it.  What is being being said is drive within the law unless the aforesaid situation occurs.  Ceretainly do not endanger others.

Offline johnboy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #62 on: 10 September, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »
not sure what to say after reading all these comments , i have had loads of bikes ridden with loads of people and up untill 4 years ago used one every day. ive always took it for granted that on most roads ~bike speed!~was 80-100 and within reason what u catch up u go past.
R u realy saying that for instance when i went to scotland in the summer on a blackbird with 552miles to go on the first day u should stay at 60 and 70! it took ten hours as it was! If this is the case what the hell is the point of a 1000cc motorbike might as well buy one of them comfy scooter things or a 250 and save on petrol, insurance etc?
On the petrol note while running in  (no more than 5000rpm) but not on a long run got 48mpg. My Triumph Daytona 955i on a s plate does this all the time and on a long run does over 50! bye all

So you normally ride at speeds between 80-100mph, totally reckless and irresponsible IMO, why stop at 100, the Blackbird is capable of much more. I don't think the police would take into consideration your reasoning of having 552 miles to cover in a day. Personally I consider 60-80 depending on the road and conditions to be safe and not pushing my luck too much. You are very lucky to still have a licence if what you say is true.

Offline thelisterman

• CBF Master
« Reply #63 on: 11 September, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »
 :0461:
Well said.

Offline dis36

« Reply #64 on: 13 September, 2008, 07:41:55 PM »
reply to andy.. hi ya i changed the blackbird for a new cbf in july , got to that stage in my life where i had to have something sitting upright if going long distance!
reply to johnboy.. sorry mate fail to c where this is wreckless its not the speed its how and where u do it. the reason i ride at 80-100 is that thats the speed im comfy with plus if u get caught under 100 u mostly only get 3 points. why not more? of course their r  times when i go more if u r on for intsance as i was on the way home from scotland a 3 lane motorway on your own i went faster whats wrecklees about that. as for lucky to keep my licence ive had a couple of close ones and had some points but have had a clean licence for years now.
as i said  i cant think of any one ive ever been out with who keeps to 60 , ive followered police bikes and they dont and this year in scotland i caught up a police car doing 60 on a A road and he winkered me past so i kind of got the impression he not expect me to keep at 60...
But at the end of the day it each to their own u ride your~safe~ speed ill ride mine.
oh and by the way white lines! it does not take S H to work out that on a bike it is very often safe to overtake on them our road laws r made to suit all traffic when all traffic is not the same therefore in general u can do things on bikes which would not b so clever in a car.

Offline johnboy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #65 on: 14 September, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »
reply to andy.. hi ya i changed the blackbird for a new cbf in july , got to that stage in my life where i had to have something sitting upright if going long distance!
reply to johnboy.. sorry mate fail to c where this is wreckless its not the speed its how and where u do it. the reason i ride at 80-100 is that thats the speed im comfy with plus if u get caught under 100 u mostly only get 3 points. why not more? of course their r  times when i go more if u r on for intsance as i was on the way home from scotland a 3 lane motorway on your own i went faster whats wrecklees about that. as for lucky to keep my licence ive had a couple of close ones and had some points but have had a clean licence for years now.
as i said  i cant think of any one ive ever been out with who keeps to 60 , ive followered police bikes and they dont and this year in scotland i caught up a police car doing 60 on a A road and he winkered me past so i kind of got the impression he not expect me to keep at 60...
But at the end of the day it each to their own u ride your~safe~ speed ill ride mine.
oh and by the way white lines! it does not take S H to work out that on a bike it is very often safe to overtake on them our road laws r made to suit all traffic when all traffic is not the same therefore in general u can do things on bikes which would not b so clever in a car.

I wasn't only concerned with safety but the road traffic laws, don't these apply to you?. If bikers expect consideration from other road users they need to show that they ride responsibly, bikers that greatly exceed speed limits, ignore rules of the road generally, will not encourage this. There will always be some car drivers that will also act as idiots whatever we do. Bikers do not have laws that apply only to them. Maybe you should have overtaken the Scottish police vehicle at 80-100mph and judged their response.

Offline spartan117

• CBF Legend
« Reply #66 on: 14 September, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Yep,  :0461: although I'm no puritan or angel I'm sure the bike cops in Notts woulds take a very dim view of bikers consistently ignoring the speed limits.  That said you pays your money and takes your chances but personally I wouldn't.
"Kissing frogs makes you squirm, kissing tarmac makes you scream, keep upright."

Offline Chelseafan

• CBF Master
« Reply #67 on: 14 September, 2008, 04:55:24 PM »
They have the speed activated traffic lights in Portugal and I think also Spain. They will never catch on in England - they are very effective at enforcing speed limits but don't raise any money through fines!

Offline dis36

« Reply #68 on: 14 September, 2008, 10:35:55 PM »
hi john i do c where your coming from its just that i c and find when im out on the road , the police in scotland for example of course i would not b stupid enough to roar straight past him at 80 plus that would have been asking for it. The point was he was doing 60 he saw a bike approaching from behind and pulled over and let me past that tells me he knows in the real world most bikes dont sit at 60.
its just like when u go down most a roads unlike say 20 years ago almost every car pulls to the side to let u through and yes i make a point of thanking every one ( unlike the thanks i very often dont get from some of the horse riders who in some cases i even go as far as stopping for)
i also feel that other than the odd mad moment i get on very well with other road users when on my motor bike ( not quite the same on the push bike) any way keep biking...