Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ALTERNATOR  (Read 12437 times)

Offline frank1

• CBF Member
Re: ALTERNATOR
« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2008, 06:47:38 PM »
Not being funny but you should be replacing it as a set, flywheel and generator together its an uprated part.and as it goes i know of at least 2 on cbf's that have been done on warranty AFTER the bike was more than 2 years old.

Offline frank1

• CBF Member
« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2008, 06:53:02 PM »
Oh and your generator going down will not fry your battery,no generator no power how would it fry your battery?
Don't get me wrong if you don't get it sorted quickly it will totally drain it and probably need replacing but due to no charge not over charge.

Offline Mark_C

• CBF Master
« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
We really need some proper information about this.  personally, I am not so worried about the potential cost, it is breaking down when abroad that worries me.  I would like to be proactive and change the necessary parts before they break but which parts?

The various reports we have heard are vague and contradictory.  What fails?  Is it the regulator, rectifier, alternator rotor, stator, battery or some other component?  Is the failure sudden or could we do some tests to detect it at an early stage?

The people who have had problems never seem to get the full story from the repairer and it seems that Honda are not going to issue a tech bulletin so how do I make sure I don't suffer my first roadside breakdown in thirty-odd years of motorcycling?  Unless there is more than one weak link, I am guessing that it is the regulator which would explain why so many people report the problem as a battery failure.

But then why would anybody have to have a "flywheel replaced".  In the sixties all the small Honda twins used to stop charging and we were told that "the rotor (= flywheel) has become demagnetised"  Surely not still happening in 2008?

Offline Mark_C

• CBF Master
« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »
I think I will retract the remark about not being too bothered about the cost.  I have just looked up the prices and the rotor is 450 Euros and the rectifier is 420 Euros!

I am thinking of writing to Honda asking if they think my bike's charging system is reliable enough to take on the continent.  If they say no, they will have to tell me how to fix it or give me my money back, if they say yes, then when (if) it lets me down they will get a bill for the costs including compensation for a curtailed holiday.  Good plan?

Offline Trefoil

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: GTR 1400
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2008, 09:24:26 PM »
Its worth a try but I am not holding my breath.

Any company that produces any goods or provides services will respond in a way that will not leave them open to any form of liability - if you where in business would you leave yourself or you business open to claims for unknown amounts?

Tref
There are only solutions

Offline voomonster

• CBF Master
« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by ADY [+]
i am looking at a bill for about £500 .
£500 for an alternator? £500 for a 16000 mile service?
I'm off to triumph next time around.
It's better to burn out than to fade away

Offline Trefoil

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: GTR 1400
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2008, 10:31:10 PM »
I would shop around for your 16k mile service, I have been quoted £380-£400

As for the Alternator problem - at the moment it seems to be a problem on a few bikes with different mileages/ages - which for them is a major issue. Yes there have been a few problems with them on the Fireblade.

We probably have no way of knowing if the alternators that were used on the Fireblade have been modified/improved but I would hope/like to think that whatever the cause/problem was then that Honda would have asked the manufacturer / supplier of the Alternator to have fixed it - Nobody wants to shell out money on warranties unless it has to.

At the moment, from what has been described, I am not entirely sure if it is the Alternator but whether it is more a regulator/rectifier problem in some cases. Alternators don't burn out batteries.

I also think there is danger/tendency in starting to blow this out of all proportion. Yes it is very unfortunate and expensive for those that have had to replace theirs but we don't known if it is common fault or just a few isolated incidents.

Tref
There are only solutions

Offline Mrs Torquemonster

• CBF Master
  • Mad woman
  • Bike: Yamaha FZ1-NA
  • City / Town: Weston-s-Mare
« Reply #17 on: 01 September, 2008, 01:00:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tender_Backside [+]
Does anyone know if it dies can you bump start the bike? Can you even bump start a modern fuel injected bike?

I've bump started both my 2003-spec R1 and my Hornet 900, so yes it can be done. In both cases I've used third gear. I've actually sat on board with my other half giving me a bit of a push. I've started out with the bike in neutral (to avoid clutch drag slowing it down) until a decent speed was reached, then kicked it up two cogs, then engaged the clutch fast but progressively. In both cases it's been because of a very flat battery, so the injection should still be able to cope.

Offline Tender_Backside

• CBF Pro
« Reply #18 on: 01 September, 2008, 06:23:43 PM »
Many thanks Mrs Torquemonster. Now all I have to do is find a hill in Holland  :001:

Offline Mrs Torquemonster

• CBF Master
  • Mad woman
  • Bike: Yamaha FZ1-NA
  • City / Town: Weston-s-Mare
« Reply #19 on: 01 September, 2008, 06:43:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tender_Backside [+]
Many thanks Mrs Torquemonster. Now all I have to do is find a hill in Holland  :001:

The only thing that struck me later is that if it's just a flat battery, the alternator starts producing charge as soon as you bump it, to power the injection and everything else, and ultimately recharge the battery. If the alternator's gone down you'll never get any new charge out of it and soon you won't even have enough for the injection. Bump starting only really helps when either just the battery is a bit flat (without other charging circuit issues) or the starter is faulty.

diverse-leafy