Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another test ride!  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Seed

• CBF Pro
Another test ride!
« on: 06 March, 2006, 01:32:07 PM »
Hi dudes,

I had a test ride of the CBF1000 on Saturday, so here are my first impressions of the bike.

I had it for just over an hour, and I rode it in a mixture of heavy traffic in town, A-roads and dual carriageways. It's a stonking bike - the engine is incredibly smooth and has bags of grunt from just off idle, with very strong acceleration through the midrange. I didn't have the heart to try the top echelons of the rev range, as the demo bike had only done 30 miles before I tried it! But to be honest you can devastate lines of traffic instantly just by using the mid-range. The fuelling seems to be spot on - the throttle response is instant and progressive, which really makes you feel connected to the bike.

The brakes are strong enough with a good level of feel - even on cold, salty roads it took a lot of effort to get the ABS to kick in, but when it did it didn't upset the bike at all - it just stopped the bike quickly and without drama. The suspension is much better than I expected - with a plush, compliant yet controlled action it didn't feel like a "budget" bike at all. The (hydraulic) clutch and gearbox are very smooth too.

The bike is fairly heavy (compared to my Hornet 9), but it carries its weight beautifully with a low C of G. The steering is easy and neutral at all speeds, but less flickable at town speeds than my Hornet 9. Still very manageable in town though, due to its impeccable low speed balance - you can ride it down to virtually zero mph then take off again witthout putting your feet down.

On the open road it's just a joy - crack open the throttle at any speed and it surges forward instantly. Overtakes are so easy on this bike, and such fun!  ;) The screen is very effective too - cruising at motorway speeds I felt no discomfort at all from windblast. And with the roomy, natural riding position I reckon you could tour on it with ease. Handling is typically Honda - neutral, balanced and planted - it just does what you tell it to.

Being honest the only accusation I could level at the bike is that it does everything so well that it could be considered a touch bland. But for me it does everything I need it to and it's bloody good fun to ride.  :D

Bit of a no-brainer really - I ordered one from Dobles that day and I'm picking it up this Friday!  ;D

Cheers,

Seed

Offline the_orange_dream

• CBF Pro
Re: Another test ride!
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2006, 02:45:15 PM »
thanks for your opinion
i will ride the cbf next week at the national motorshow in athens (test ride but in a small closed track)

Offline Storman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2006, 10:21:22 PM »
Nice one  :D I have to say that I'm very very jealous that you are gettin one so soon.

I might have been the first member here but you might be the first to actually get the bike  :o

What colour are you going to get ?? I think the colours could have been a little better (they are a bit boring) - I'm really not sure what colour I like  ???

Offline Seed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2006, 02:12:15 PM »
Hi Storman,

I wanted to go for a blue one, but silver is the only colour available in the UK at the moment, and Honda haven't confirmed when the other colours are due.

I can't wait to pick it up! I'm about to book a trip to the Nurburgring in early May, so I want to make sure the bike's fully run in by then. ;D

Cheers,

Seed

Offline haldner

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2006, 07:13:37 PM »
Hi,
I've got my new CBF 1000 yesterday here in Duisburg (Germany). Today I mad about 200km (town and motorway) and must say, you are right. The first impression is absolutly positiv. Easy handling, powerfull engine ... really a nice bike, and consider the price!!
Best regards
Haldner

Offline Storman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2006, 07:18:46 PM »
Nice one Haldner  :o

I thought Seed was going to be first to get a bike on this site but you beat him lol  ;D

What colour did you get ?? Seed says we can only get Silver in the Uk at the moment.

Not sure if I'd want a silver one though, everything seems silver!

Seed -  are you going to the ring to ride around the circuit (I think thats the one where you can do that ???) or are u going to the F1 race ?? Whatever, it will be a neat trip and I can see why you'd want it run in first.

:D

Offline haldner

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2006, 07:36:19 PM »
Hello Storman.

should I really be the first one with a bike in this forum ?? My CBF is in Silver (as my hair is). For the young and quick ones it might be boring, I think it looks quite nice. You should know, my former bike has been a BMW K100 (flying brick ;) and I never had any problems with the design.

So long, Haldner

Offline Storman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2006, 10:18:13 PM »
This is'nt boring !    :o :o

Enjoy the bike, cheers Storman  8)

Offline Stu

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2006, 01:18:06 PM »
Well Seed and Haldner are pretty lucky. I might have to wait a month or two (no money  :'( ) but I'm thinking even more now that this is the bike I want  ;D

Offline Seed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2006, 01:54:04 PM »
Congratulations Haldner! I'm really pleased for you.  :D I pick mine up tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

Storman, I'm going to the Nurburgring really just to check the place out and watch the on-track mayhem - it's somewhere I've wanted to go for ages. A mate of mine is going there in his Mini Cooper S Works to take his car round the track. I'm hoping to get a few laps in his car - he's a bit of a nutter so it should be good fun!  ;D

To be honest I probably won't take my bike round - I don't want to take the risk of binning a brand new bike. But then again I might change my mind when I get there!  ;) I've also heard the roads are stunning round there - a paradise for bikers.

Haldner, have you been to the Ring and do you have any tips of where to ride in the area?

By the way Stu, if you're worried about money - have a word with Dobles. They're doing a good finance deal on the CBF1000 where you just need a deposit of £299 and can pay the rest over three years at a really low interest rate - 3.4% APR I think. Go for it - you only live once! ;D

Cheers all,

Seed