Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Knee down action  (Read 4540 times)

Offline PunkFather

• CBF Pro
Re: Knee down action
« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »
I ride the bike with both my knees are fully attached to the bike. So my knees never touch the ground. It is a different technique for riding sport machines on tracks. Because I ride on public roads never tried to learn or feel to learn it before.
Riding On The Wind

Offline Mad-Biker

• CBF Pro
« Reply #11 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:15:56 PM »
knee and pegs down are more a figure of speach. although you can do it on public roads on certern corners, its leaning it over to the point at the end of the tire.

Offline Dodger

• CBF Legend
« Reply #12 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mad-Biker [+]
knee and pegs down are more a figure of speach. although you can do it on public roads on certern corners, its leaning it over to the point at the end of the tire.

:0461:

why give you so much contact surface and then waste it?  Albeit I did have a little of the old "chicken strip" showing on my old Biffer  :003:  Mind you that was mainly due to the crap roads I seem to ride about on down south.
If you are arguing with an idiot make sure the other guy is not doing the same

Offline V

• CBF Master
« Reply #13 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
I was slightly puzzled yesterday that someone told me I should try and get my knee down on the corners :084:.  Out on a ride with associate and members of NAM in the Scottish Borders it was at a good pace although too slow for some sports bike riders who screamed up behind and disappeared into the horizon in less than 20 seconds.  Although I was following my old observer who is by no means slow and keeping up I was told (by the associate) I didnt use the outside of the tyre once and should try getting my knee down (he's a sports bike rider) and I would then know the limit of the bike and tyre when it touched down.  I did feel I was being criticized but I gotta say I have heard from too many other riders that my lines and riding style on twisties are certainly good enough and I'm not gonna worry too much about it (pride now deflated though :145:)

Does anyone know why I should try and get my knee down when I can manage fine with the style I have been taught?  I gotta add I do though fancy a track day some time in the future - then I would like to get my knee down!!  Nobody better criticise me for being contrary - its my prerogative - I am female after all :032:

PS  What is weird is that my dad who I can never keep up with  told me last month I leaned the bike over in the corners too much for his liking (ahem  :112: I suppose it was slightly damp that day)  Sometimes you just can't win can you? :027:
« Last Edit: 21 April, 2008, 04:19:29 PM by V »

Offline technicalbloke

« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:33:43 AM »
On right handers not only do you get the pegs to scrape but I'm halfway through the rear brake pedal as well, and this is on the Bridgestone BT57's. 
Stop global warming, use up all the petrol.

Offline Dodger

• CBF Legend
« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by V [+]

Does anyone know why I should try and get my knee down when I can manage fine with the style I have been taught?  I gotta add I do though fancy a track day some time in the future - then I would like to get my knee down!!  Nobody better criticise me for being contrary - its my prerogative - I am female after all :032:

V

I think all this macho knee down stuff should be reserved for the track.

I have been out with a number of brilliant riders, many class 1 police, all as quick as you like.....

Their philosephy into a bend is simple, slow in and fast out.  Not a knee down in sight but I bet you they would thrash the arse off the knee down brigade.  get your line and entry speed correct and you will come out of the bend faster than most.  There is always going to be a rider with more ability and plenty who think they have more ability, but just take a look at the accident figures.  At least half of the bikers killed are in a "no other vehicle" accident where they just pushed too hard, misread a bend or hit a poor surface and the rest is history.  Ride to your own ability and ride to enjoy.  If you ride on the limit all the time it will go pear shapped for sure.

If you are a knee down boy/girl, then I am not critcising you, so don't get upset, there are loads of great riders with the confidence and skills to push there bike closer to the limits than most of us, but there are also the boys/girls who outride themselves or the road.

So V, do your own thing, listen and learn from your Dad and tell the associate where to go!
If you are arguing with an idiot make sure the other guy is not doing the same

Offline Trefoil

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: GTR 1400
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #16 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »
V

:0461:  with Dodger.

Firstly always ride to your ability - regardless of what anybody else says or implies.

The most important thing is get your line and entry speed correct on the approach to a bend and you will come out faster than most, almost regardless of the size and type of bike.

I have scrapped the pegs occassionaly, not so much with the Biffer but with the previous bike  :015: and the knee wasn't physically out, I prefer to keep it next to the tank just in case it hits an unseen obstacle.

Tref
There are only solutions

Offline Mad-Biker

• CBF Pro
« Reply #17 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:04:40 PM »
The only thing the down actually does, is give you a reference for how much you have leaned over, if ya go too far, past the edge of the tire, your sliding down the road on your arse. i dont drag the knee around a corner, i seldom even stick it out as i only recently got a set of leathers with knee sliders. i have touched my knee down, and im usually way way more leaned over than those that dont. instead you grip with ya knee hoping you dont fall off the bike more so than the bike falling off the road.

oh and i test rode a cbf1000 today, very nice indeed, not as fast performance wise as i thought, but so much smoother and more refined. about as fast in acceleration as my 600f4i, which i think is enough.

Offline steven

• CBF Master
« Reply #18 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »
The last time I had my knee down , the rest of me followed very shortly thereafter. I dont even try any more and keep my knees tucked into the tank.

Offline CyberClaw

• CBF Pro
« Reply #19 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:46:22 PM »
Never take the knees off the tank. I scrap the pegs all the time though. Specially funny when I'm breaking a new pillon on the ways of the 2 wheels (those that aren't afraid of leanign the bike alot), and all the sudenly you sense their "WTF is this noise" reaction =)

I've had one that even told me she saw sparks comming out of the peg (most unlikely).

My left boot is also completly trashed in the front. I usually keep my foot under the gear peg so I can change the gear up after the bend apex, but sometimes when leaning too much I scrap both the peg and the boot's sole. The right boot is fine because it's always over the brake peg, not under it =)

diverse-leafy