Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre Testing The New Dunlops  (Read 2747 times)

Offline ADY

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Yamaha FZ1S
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Tyre Testing The New Dunlops
« on: 27 March, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »
         MCN
« Last Edit: 26 May, 2008, 12:13:02 PM by Big Bear »
I started out with nothing?..and I?ve still got most of it left!

Offline Dodger

• CBF Legend
Re: Tyre Testing The New Dunlops
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »
 :460:

the video supports the view that this is a good tyre in the dry and the wet.

Unfortunatley whilst it performed the best of all tyres there are a couple of key points, one in the video the other not

1. The tyre used was a test tyre not a production model and this was against the other manufacturers off the shelf items.  Will they keep the spec the same?  Is the test tyre affordable or will it be dumbed down.

2. whilst it was grippy, what mileage will you get out of it?  After all there are stickier tyres out there than the PR2 and 021, but they dont last as long.

All in all one thing the video does do in my book is put PR2's ahead of 021's as it was the best wet production tyre.  If it is good in the wet, I can live with it in the dry too.

Nice one
If you are arguing with an idiot make sure the other guy is not doing the same

andyscbf1000

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2008, 07:51:16 PM »
I saw this Vid as well when doing my little bit of research.  Agree completely with Dodger's comments.  Dunlop have not had an exactly brilliant rep recently on road sport tyres and they were easily the least helpful on giving tech feedback for my research.  I saw that somebody has just put them on their Biffer, as indeed someone else has just put my marmite tyre, the Conti Road Attack on theirs. 

I've promised real life feedback on my new PR2's, in a couple of months time now we may get feedback on the Road Smarts and Road Attacks as well ?

Looking promising though.

Andy

Offline badapple

• CBF Legend
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2008, 09:38:42 PM »
Got to agree with you that a health measure of cynicism is required at this stage. A specially selected tyre optimized for a manufacturers own track can be a far cry from a run of the mill production job used on a public road. It could still turn out to be a great tyre though.

Love my PR2s and it will take a lot to persuade me away from them.    :098:

Offline andyinvienna

• CBF Legend
  • Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Vienna
« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
October is a little late, PR2 still is looking the best that is available now, I am not fast enough in the dry to worry about point something of a second, and I want the best in the wet I can get, so there we go any way I bet that by the time next spring comes there will be a PR3!!!
Good judgement comes from bad experience ..... Most of that comes from bad judgement.

http://viennamotorbiker.webs.com

Offline andyinvienna

• CBF Legend
« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2008, 08:54:16 AM »
Check this out,

New Dunlop Roadsmart tyre launch

* Home
          o » Products
                + » Tyres
                      # » New Dunlop Roadsmart tyre launch

Dunlop roadsmart tyre
October 3, 2007 - Kenny Pryde

There were high speed laps of the track as well as much slower laps of the wet circuit and slalom tests and another handling test during which journalists were able to ride Bridgestone BT-021 and Michelin Pilot Road 2 tyres in the same market sector. Never has a tyre company laid itself open to such scrutiny with a new tyre. And Dunlop was right to be confident, the new Roadsmart is a very good tyre.

The Roadsmart uses the same Triple tread construction as the sportier Qualifier RR tyre, featuring a softer compound on the shoulders and a more durable compound in the centre of the tyre. In addition, there's a new tread pattern for improved water dispersal, a new compound, new profile and a different carcass from the tyre it replaces, the D220ST.

Journalists were allowed more time and able to do more miles in different conditions than in any tyre test in living memory and, from a PR point of view if nothing else, it was a massive success. With road riding in wet and dry conditions, wet and track dry riding on track and a handling circuit session, Dunlop wasn't hiding. And, in the end, it was right to be confident. If you are in the market for a sports-touring tyre, you might as well start haggling with your local Dunlop dealer for some Roadsmarts. Truly.

And, in case you are interested, the Michelin Pilot Road 2 was second in most peoples' books, with slightly less feel in the wet, while the Bridgestone BT-021 was quicker turning on the dry track but nowhere near as good in the wet and much harsher over road bumps. Like I said, haggle for a deal on the Dunlops.

For unabashed propaganda, check out www.dunlop-tire.com and,yes, I know that's an American spelling, but what can you do? Guess which market buys more tyres?

ADMIN EDIT: That link above is incorrect. Try this one: http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/bike/

DUNLOP ROADSMART Launch - Superbike Mag
« Last Edit: 26 May, 2008, 12:20:57 PM by Big Bear »
Good judgement comes from bad experience ..... Most of that comes from bad judgement.

Offline andyinvienna

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »
Get my new roadsmarts on Friday, hope the hype was right  :084: :007:

Offline steven

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »
check out the new BIKE mag , these got a great write up

Offline ADY

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Yamaha FZ1S
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2008, 10:47:24 PM »
I have just fitted a set of road smarts and all i can say is "wow"and i haven't even scrubbed them in yet just a 50 mile steady ride to get the shiny surface off and iam well impressed . The rubber seems softer than my old pilot roads witch is a good thing for grip and traction but i got good milage from the pilots 6000 miles from the rear and 12000 mile from the front and i wonder what i will get from these new ones time will tell i suppose . Tomorrow we are off to southern Ireland for the weekend and i am expecting all kinds of roads and weather and i will see just how good these new tyres are .Ady.
I started out with nothing?..and I?ve still got most of it left!

Offline andyinvienna

• CBF Legend
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by ADY [+]
I have just fitted a set of road smarts and all i can say is "wow"and i haven't even scrubbed them in yet just a 50 mile steady ride to get the shiny surface off and iam well impressed . The rubber seems softer than my old pilot roads witch is a good thing for grip and traction but i got good milage from the pilots 6000 miles from the rear and 12000 mile from the front and i wonder what i will get from these new ones time will tell i suppose . Tomorrow we are off to southern Ireland for the weekend and i am expecting all kinds of roads and weather and i will see just how good these new tyres are .Ady.

:0461:  :460: At last someone else has them, I thought I was shouting in the dark about them, I have 5000km/3100 miles and they just  get better, going out in the rain is a better experience, Good choice

diverse-leafy