Offline memorysmith

• CBF Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CBF1000 MK1
    • City / Town: Verwood
    Factory bags
    on: 22 January, 2024, 08:11:55 pm
    22 January, 2024, 08:11:55 pm
    OK, new member and still crawling through the history on the forum so I apologise if I have missed 40 posts on this already. I have a Bonneville that is my baby and is being made a full cafe racer for dry days only. Last year I started touring on her and was bitten by the touring bug. This is why I now have a CBF1000 mk1 but with ABS. On the bonnie I put together a rhinowalk seat bag that is 40 -60 litres. It is pretty nice and take ALL my campsite kit in one bag at the aforementioned 60 litres. I figured that with two 33 litre side cases and a 45 litre top box, I would be golden to do what I want with an extra 48 litres of capacity. Two hours of trying various permutations of luggage arrangement I can only fit all the kit in all three boxes and have zero room for extras. Is it me or are these cases just a really poor shape for camping? Right now I am thinking of binning the top box, using my current bag for the campsite and then the sides for clothes and purchases on the journey. I am just struggling to reconcile losing 40 litres of storage due tot he shape of the luggage.

When packing I am not stressing the hinges so no sitting on the case just to get it to close but this all seems like I need advice for how to carry my kit. I can see how the cases would be ideal for me and the wife to tour and stay in hotels but getting all the campsite kit in seems to be a no go.

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2237

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
    • City / Town: Shoreditch
    Re: Factory bags
    Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2024, 10:33:05 pm
    22 January, 2024, 10:33:05 pm
    Been there, done that and I'm equally disappointed with the Givi 35L panniers. My weekend touring set up when camping is a two tier tank bag with the tent and a holdall or two across the pillion seat. Any longer than a weekend and I take the panniers too.

diverse-leafy