Author Coolant/engine temperature termometer  (Read 982 times)

• Offline Hankiss

• CBF Newbie  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Hankiss

• CBF Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Coolant/engine temperature termometer
    on: 26 December, 2023, 03:20:26 pm
    26 December, 2023, 03:20:26 pm
    Hello, greetings to all Members.
    Not long ago I replaced radiator in my CBF1000 2009. I installed new Chinese aluminum rad which was listed as designed for Honda CBF1000. I noticed that rad fan is engaging more often and earlier then before. I want to install additional temperature guide.
    There are few available on eBAY UK. Like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314523485256

On other web sites, I saw similar which has a hose adapter and it is installed on return hose. I was wondering if anyone here installed similar device on his bike ? Or maybe someone has some advices regarding the matter ?
    Last Edit: 26 December, 2023, 06:11:27 pm by Admin

• Offline raYzerman   ca

• CBF Pro  ‐    134

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
    • Bike: CBF1000A9 VFR800
    • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
    Re: Coolant/engine temperature termometer
    Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2023, 11:54:57 pm
    26 December, 2023, 11:54:57 pm
    Quick look at the wiring diagram indicates the coolant temp sensor sends info to the ECU, which then in a separate circuit will trigger the fan relay when necessary.  I would say best to install your intended gauge sensor in one of the coolant hoses, e.g., the one leaving the engine to the thermostat.  Not sure where you would install a threaded sensor into the engine block.......

However, first I would check (with engine cold) that the rad/thermostat coolant level is full.  Air may have been trapped and not fully purged with the usual hot/cold cycles sucking coolant from the overflow reservoir.  With too much air, it perhaps couldn't suck enough coolant back in to replace the air.  Just top up when cold and reinstall the rad cap, ensure reservoir level is at the high mark, and ride so two hot/cold cycles take place, make note of reservoir level.  If it stayed the same, then likely no air, but if there was some, should only drop slightly.  On your two rides, see if your symptoms went away, ie, coolant is in contact with the sensor and giving the proper signal to the ECU.  If all is good then you shouldn't need a second temp gauge.....

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2242

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
    • City / Town: Shoreditch
    Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2023, 07:58:50 am
    27 December, 2023, 07:58:50 am
    There is no need to add a tempreture gauge, if the cooling system over heats there is a coolant temperature warning light on the dash. If you suspect the cooling system is over heating you'd be better off troubleshooting the cooling system. If you're allowed spanners and you haven't already you may want to

download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

Last Edit: 27 December, 2023, 07:59:30 am by Art

• Offline Hankiss

• CBF Newbie  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Hankiss

• CBF Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2023, 10:28:53 am
    27 December, 2023, 10:28:53 am
    Thanks for above messages. I will double check my cooling system as recomended above. However, I still think that having temperature monitoring device installed on the bike is not a bad idea. So, I will get one from eBAY and install it. I will let you know the final. Cheers