04 Mar 24, 18:24 pm

Author CBF1000F virgin  (Read 7571 times)

• Offline nock   gb

• CBF Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline nock

• CBF Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CBF1000F / XB12
    • City / Town: Guildford
    CBF1000F virgin
    on: 05 October, 2023, 08:33:24 pm
    05 October, 2023, 08:33:24 pm
    Hi everyone. Bought my first CBF1000F today (2011 pearl white mk2) and am collecting it on Saturday. I have owned quite a few big bikes in my time and am getting a bit stiff and arthritic these days so wanted something a little more upright. I just got rid of my TDM900 that I used as a 30 mile commuter (motorway & A roads), as I was getting numb thumbs and was sick of the bike going down to run on one cylinder when it got waterlogged. I am hoping that the CBF will give me the smoothness and reliability I need to replace it. I'm not expecting it to have the all out power of my old Blackbird, but hopefully plenty of go in the low to mid range. I'm a qualified mechanic so am looking forward to getting the tools out and my hands dirty.
    Last Edit: 05 October, 2023, 09:14:41 pm by nock

• Offline FLIZ   england

• CBF Master  ‐    244

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Master
    • Bike: Honda CBF1000FAC
    • City / Town: North Yorkshire
    Re: CBF100F virgin
    Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2023, 09:11:32 pm
    05 October, 2023, 09:11:32 pm
     Hello and  :405:  :031:

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2242

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
    • City / Town: Shoreditch
    Re: CBF1000F virgin
    Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2023, 05:51:15 am
    06 October, 2023, 05:51:15 am
     :405:

What you have there is the later face lift SC64 model, it's an excellent choice for a sports tourer or commuter that ticks many boxes in its class. You'll find its got more than enough get up and gone for public roads and with the now fashionable 20 mph speed limits it's got plenty of low down grunt too. A big plus for me is despite it's on board trickery the CBF1000 can be serviced and maintained at home by the home mechanic without the need of any special tools or diagnostic equipment. You'll be allowed spanners, so if you haven't already you may want to download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

Good to have another qualified mechanic aboard, where/when did you qualify? I did my apprenticeship split between a Rootes commercials dealership (1970-73) and a Honda motorcycle dealership (1973-1977).

• Offline nock   gb

• CBF Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline nock

• CBF Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2023, 08:54:15 pm
    06 October, 2023, 08:54:15 pm
    Thanks Art, I've downloaded all the CBF related manuals and am itching to get all my accessories hooked up (TPMS / Satnav / CTEK tails / heated clothing tails etc.). I qualified as a certificated automotive engineer (CAE) about 12 years ago with the IMI when I was working for the Police in London as a fatal collision forensic investigator, as I had to dismantle vehicles to look for contributory faults as part of my role. I had to get the tools (and the Bosch diagnostics) out almost every day to look at cars, trucks, motorbikes and the occasional electric vehicle. Now I'm just tinkering with a mixed selection of old motorbikes and a sand rail, all in various states of repair. My wife loves it and keeps asking me to buy more (not!).  :001:   
    Last Edit: 06 October, 2023, 08:55:58 pm by nock

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2242

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2023, 11:23:41 am
    07 October, 2023, 11:23:41 am
    I'd imagine it's as rare as hens teeth where the root cause of a collision was anything other than driver error. By that I mean driving beyond ones capabilities rather than the 'speed kills' message some would have us believe, after all the Police drive in excess of the speed limit all the time and they aren't dropping like flys.

• Online Rev Ken   england

• CBF God  ‐    4853

Online Rev Ken

• CBF God
    • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
    • Bike: Now Bikeless
    • City / Town: Workington
    Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2023, 04:43:52 pm
    07 October, 2023, 04:43:52 pm
    Hi Nock,

:401:
    Many years ago, when I was in the Vehicle Inspectorate, I was part of a working team with members from Birmingham University, a police rep, and some of my staff. Birmingham University looked at occupants injuries while my staff reported on vehicle damage. Through our work seat belts became compulsory and contributed to better safety features in vehicles such as crumple zones and integrity of passenger space.

I'm sure you got satisfaction from your work, I certainly did! :169:

PS You've picked a great bike. In 68 years of riding my CBF1000 was the best allrounder I ever had  and I kept it for 7 years.
    Enjoy!

Last Edit: 07 October, 2023, 04:46:37 pm by Rev Ken

• Offline nock   gb

• CBF Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline nock

• CBF Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2023, 08:07:56 pm
    07 October, 2023, 08:07:56 pm
    Thanks Fliz and Rev. I loved the work I used to do. So interesting and really rewarding, but glad to be semi-retired now.

Art - on the whole you are right, in my experience very few fatal or serious collisions would be caused outright by vehicle defects, but there were quite often some contributory factors (usually poor maintenance or bad workmanship by DIY mechanics). However as you have said, often a drivers/riders confidence outstrips their abilities (i.e. they think they are better than they actually are) and when coupled with a few other factors (such as poor weather or road condition) and the seemingly minor defects (bald tyres / imbalanced tyre pressures / imbalanced braking system), it all goes badly wrong and someone dies. Nearly always a combination of factors.

Rode the bike the 100 miles from Bristol to Guildford and it was stunningly competent. However my bum is not very happy - guess I need to get the seat rebuilt with some softer padding (any recommendations?) or a Top Sellerie swap out (at nearly 400 I am going to take some convincing). 

Glad to be aboard, so far you seem like a very mature, sensible and polite bunch (not sure I'll be able to measure up  :156: )   
    Last Edit: 07 October, 2023, 08:17:45 pm by nock

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2242

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2023, 07:15:21 am
    08 October, 2023, 07:15:21 am
    For the past three years I've been using two cheap as chips seat covers found on eBay, An air cushion similar to this with a breathable mesh net pad similar to this over the top.

The air cushion felt uncomfortable at first but seemed to bed in after a couple of days riding. Much of my riding is long distance, 500+ miles per day is common. The longest I've sat in the saddle on the CBF is about 18 hours with a 10 minute leg stretch every 3 hours or so and the covers have been very comfortable. Last year I solved my aching knees with a pair of highway pegs attached to a pair of Heed engine bars. I'm now all set for an IBA 6 Nations ride in February, that's 4,000 miles in 5 days.

• Offline marky99925   ie

• CBF Pro  ‐    171

Offline marky99925

• CBF Pro
    • Bike: cbf1000
    • City / Town: limerick
    Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2023, 11:11:17 am
    09 October, 2023, 11:11:17 am
    Hi nock, after having a blackbird for 7 years from new i thought i'd never sell it, then got over the 30 year ego trip and realised i didnt use or need the power, enter the cbf1000, 9 years later best bike ive owned in 47 years on bikes, ive looked at all sorts as a next bike but keep coming back to the same question, what would i really be gaining for the expenditure, on the ferry back from spain as we speak, 7th time around. Might never change now, one of bikings best kept secrets in my opinion, maxton forks and shock and i can scrape the footpegs at 63 years old and ride all day with just petrol stops, my wife says she has actually fallen asleep on the back.

diverse-leafy