Author Just passed my test and got a biffer  (Read 6417 times)

• Offline B1kerdude   gb

• CBF Newbie  ‐    2
    • Topic Author

Offline B1kerdude

• CBF Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CBF1000 FA
    Just passed my test and got a biffer
    on: 26 July, 2023, 06:45:02 pm
    26 July, 2023, 06:45:02 pm
    Originally was looking at something smaller, mainly an sv650, for insurance and cheaper running etc. My bike instructor would big up these cbf1000s so much, saying other than a failing stator itíll go on for a long long time. Anyway Iím a fan of good quality but after looking on auto trader there were only around 30 for sale nationwide.

So anyway I knew Iíd be up for touring and eventually found a full luggage with a full service history, so now itís mine! Got about 14000 miles on the clock.

Due a service, pads are fine and it has new tyres. Done an oil and filter change. Checked crankcase breather, tensioned the chain and blown out the radiator, plenty of sand in places so I think the previous owner used it off road a little.

Considering Iíve just got it, is there anything else I could check or change? Iím gonna scrap off the surface rust dotted around the frame, and change the coolant and brake and clutch fluid eventually.

Anyway I love it. Was surprised by the vibrations above 5000rpm, but Iím not gunning it often. Loving the torque though

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2242

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
    • City / Town: Shoreditch
    Re: Just passed my test and got a biffer
    Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2023, 01:02:26 am
    27 July, 2023, 01:02:26 am
     :405:

Sounds as if you're on top of the service schedule, if you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

Keep a record of what you do including date & mileage for future reference. When you replace the brake fluid don't drain the system but use the fresh fluid to flush out the old fluid. At 14,000 miles the valve clearances should be OK, I left my valve clearances until 48,000 miles. I replace the air filter at 32,000 mile intervals. I replace the spark plugs with the valve clearances inspection, whether you do that at 16, 32 or 48,000 miles is your choice but, assuming you have the SC64 face lift model, NKG give a service life of 100,000 miles for their IMR8C-9H (3653) spark plugs.

You may want to check for any stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) at some time.
    How to read the engine control module DTC's is explained here
    How to read the ABS module DTC's is explained here

The only modifications I'd recommend as essential are a front fender extender & rear hugger to keep the road fling at bay, a louder horn such as the Stebel Magnum TM80 low note or similar because the stock horn sounds like a mouse squeak and last but not least the carrying of a means to repair a puncture and knowing how to use it.

• Offline pedro   england

• CBF Master  ‐    715

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
    • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
    • City / Town: Cumbria
    Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2023, 01:12:30 am
    27 July, 2023, 01:12:30 am
    Despite it being a litre bike, as no doubt you are finding, it's easy to ride and has no bad manners. I think you've pretty much covered it. If you intend to rely on it for commuting or whatever, I guess you could look ahead and invest in a stator, so it's there just in case. But although they do go, it's not as common as some would have you think. I got rid of the vibes with Renthal bars and bar ends. Just by chance, I wanted to change the original as it'd got a bit rusty. The batteries don't seem to last forever though, worth bearing in mind. You might want to think about a trickle charger (such as an Optimate, other makes are available) especially if there's going to be times when the bike isn't getting used often. If it needs tyres there's a fairly wide choice. I've recently put Michelin Road6's on and, like others think they are great.

I see you've got luggage. If you are packing them up, don't put heavy stuff in the top box. It'll make the front end go light and all that might entail.

Enjoy!

• Offline Buggzy   au

• CBF Member  ‐    40

Offline Buggzy

• CBF Member
    • Bike: Honda CBF 1000
    • City / Town: Mandurah
    Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2023, 09:10:30 am
    27 July, 2023, 09:10:30 am
    Awesome mate, enjoy  :031:

• Offline B1kerdude   gb

• CBF Newbie  ‐    2
    • Topic Author

Offline B1kerdude

• CBF Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CBF1000 FA
    Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2023, 09:25:40 am
    27 July, 2023, 09:25:40 am
    Thanks Art. I have the manual, fortunately the bigger jobs are still a while off. I enjoy working on it but Iím really slow (and really thorough). I donít mind a poor horn but Iíll take a look at those fender extenders. How would I know if I have a sc64?

Pedro, yeah I am finding it easy. After buying I had about a 180 mile ride home and it was a breeze. The vibrations donít particularly come through the bars, I mainly notice it through the seat. I donít mind it, something I can look into later but like I say Iím not often ragging it above 5000rpm for long. Upon advice from my friend I have an oximiser. Good point about the rear box, for touring Iíll probably have to look into setting the rear shock preload.

Just about the stator though, werenít mk2 models considered cured of stator and rectifier problems?

• Offline ushirlo   hr

• CBF Member  ‐    54

Offline ushirlo

• CBF Member
    • nabijen te........
    • Bike: cbf1000f
    Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2023, 10:55:31 am
    27 July, 2023, 10:55:31 am
    *Originally Posted by B1kerdude [+]
    How would I know if I have a sc64?

Just about the stator though, werenít mk2 models considered cured of stator and rectifier problems?
    sc64 is with one exhaust, black motor, digital speedometer......
    and have far less stator fail situation...... mine gave up at 77000km though............

• Offline pedro   england

• CBF Master  ‐    715

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
    • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
    • City / Town: Cumbria
    Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2023, 11:21:16 am
    27 July, 2023, 11:21:16 am
    *Originally Posted by B1kerdude [+]

"Cured" is maybe a bit strong, but they do seem to have less instances of failure I believe. To be honest, it's an issue to a greater or lesser degree on many bikes. I'm a Mk1 owner, so that probably influences me. You probably don't need to have one in the shed ready then (but don't hold me to that). Although mine hasn't failed yet, fingers crossed.

• Offline Bluefox   gb

• CBF Pro  ‐    99

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Pro
    • Bike: Cbf1000
    • City / Town: Leicestershire
    Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2023, 12:33:03 pm
    27 July, 2023, 12:33:03 pm
    Welcome, I have a mk2 but have also owned mk1s. My last mk1 had 2 new stators by 22k miles my mk2 has now done 27k with no problems. Both are great bikes and easy to ride. Enjoy.

• Online Rev Ken   england

• CBF God  ‐    4853

Online Rev Ken

• CBF God
    • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
    • Bike: Now Bikeless
    • City / Town: Workington
    Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2023, 11:25:26 pm
    27 July, 2023, 11:25:26 pm
     :401: Can i encourage you, after abut three month riding, to take a 'Bikesafe' day course, if available in your area, usually run by local police with help from IAM Roadsmart or Rospa. Then enrol in an advance riding course with either IAM Roadsmart or Rospa. You'll learn a lot and making your riding not only safer, but also more enjoyable, and join a motorcycle community who often rune ride outs with responsible riders.

Enjoy! :046:

diverse-leafy