Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
    • City / Town: Shoreditch
    Stator fail
    on: 11 December, 2022, 05:18:19 pm
    11 December, 2022, 05:18:19 pm
    Out Saturday on a 350 mile sortie, stopped off to empty the bladder and we have a flat battery? A bump start on a slight gradient was good enough to ride it the 35 miles home.

Tested everything today after charging the flat (11.7v) battery and the numbers were looking good...
    battery voltage 12.7v
    standby current drain 20mA
    battery voltage at 4,000 RPM 14v
    voltage drop regulator/rectifier cables to battery 0.09v ground, 0.05v positive
    no stator short to earth
    stator windings resistance all three at 0.1Ω
    until I tested the stator AC outputs and found A-B 35v, A-C 10v and B-C40v

Replacement JMP stator ordered from Brooks Barn 99.00 including delivery

If a jobs worth doing... one burnt out Electrosport stator after 27,222 miles

Last Edit: 11 December, 2022, 05:36:52 pm by Art

• Offline Rick   gb

• CBF Member  ‐    58

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
    • Bike: cbf1000gt
    • City / Town: Matlock
    Re: Stator fail
    Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2022, 01:44:24 pm
    13 December, 2022, 01:44:24 pm
    Presumably if the dipped headlight was disconnected the bike would have kept going for quite some time until the stator failed further. Did you pick up a deterioration in the readings on your last 4000 mile check ?

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2098
    • Topic Author

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2022, 03:54:20 pm
    13 December, 2022, 03:54:20 pm
    I have a on/off switch for the HID dipped beam but since it was well after dark switching the dip beam off was not an option. The battery was too flat to spin the starter motor but had enough charge to get me 35 miles home on dipped beam once I'd bump started it. The clues were there with a couple of flat batteries on early morning starts but a quick boost was enough to start the engine, from there the stator was putting enough into the battery to keep it going for a month or two. I put it down to the 8+ year old battery which later proved not to be holding charge, after replacing the battery 8 weeks ago I thought no more of it and its been on the button ever since.

At 4,000 RPM the charging system output was a goodly 14v measured at the battery terminals which is where its been for the past two years, never looked any further. I think the issue on Saturday was riding in a 40 to 50 mph traffic stream at 2,500 to 3,000 RPM the stator was putting less in the battery than the electrics were taking out. That was the writing on the wall that prompted me to fully test the charging system, all was good until I tested the AC output directly off the stator.

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2098
    • Topic Author

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2022, 06:28:16 pm
    15 December, 2022, 06:28:16 pm
    Update...

Ordered JMP stator from Brooks Barn at 99.99 (M&P wanted 164 for the Electrosport ESG958) ordered Monday arrived Wednesday, well done Brooks Barn. Slight issue with the cable grommet that protruded too far out from the stator cover, borrowed the bread knife from the kitchen to trim, don't tell her indoors, and the jobs a good'n.
    40g Granville clear instant gasket from Halfords on special at 3.99.
    Fitted and tested Thursday and the numbers are all as expected.

Stator coils resistence A-B, A-C & B-C all at 0.01 Ω
    Stator coils output A-B, A-C & B-C all at 45 vAC
    Charging system measured at the battery terminals 14.14 vDC at 4,000 RPM

Now on my third stator. The original factory fitted Honda stator failed at 31,180 replaced that with an Electrosport ESG958 that failed at 58,402 (27,212 actual miles) now on a JMP stator. Hopefully that'll last around 30,000 miles which I'll chalk up as the cost of motorcycling.

Happy days

• Offline Rick   gb

• CBF Member  ‐    58

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
    • Bike: cbf1000gt
    • City / Town: Matlock
    Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2022, 07:26:47 pm
    15 December, 2022, 07:26:47 pm
    I think 27,000 miles out of a stator is fair enough, they are easily available and not a particularly expensive or difficult part to replace. As my original stator is getting towards that mileage now I have purchased a 60 spare which I carry in my luggage if going on a decent trip away. I'll get a tube of the clear sealant from Halfords- just the right stuff for the job thanks.
    Main thing for you Art is that it was only a partial failure and you managed to ride the 30 miles home.

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2098
    • Topic Author

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: 16 December, 2022, 01:18:29 am
    16 December, 2022, 01:18:29 am
    Yes, I think too many make too much of stator failure, 25-30,000 miles is fair enough and, if you steer clear of the reassuringly expensive re-packaged Honda parts, they are a low cost replacement and easy to fit, I've heard it said a 7 year old could replace one kerbside. Although I must admit my 'easy job' was complicated by having to remove the top box, pannier frames and Heed engine bars to remove the left rear side cowl to access the stator connector and make room to slip the stator cover off. Still an easy job, just makes it take twice as long.

When the original Honda stator failed that was a total no charging failure due to the coil windings shorting to ground. I don't know what level of charge the battery dropped to, I'd guess it was less than 11.5v because it was insufficient to crank the engine. After a bump start and switching off the headlamp there was enough in that flat battery to get me the 60+ miles home.

Last Edit: 16 December, 2022, 01:29:08 am by Art

diverse-leafy