Author Starting problem different than what I've experienced in the past  (Read 535 times)

• Offline Alien

• CBF Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline Alien

• CBF Member
    • Topic Author
    Starting problem different than what I've experienced in the past
    on: 09 November, 2022, 06:16:40 pm
    09 November, 2022, 06:16:40 pm
    I have a 2006 MKI ABS. In the past I've had starting problems which were usually due to a dying battery. This time it's different.

I always start the bike in vertical position, side stand up, holding the clutch (neutral sensor died years ago), no throttle at all. It does nothing except for a 'clack' sound like a relay being activated. Lights, odometer, etc stay on.

It happened yesterday during a short stop in my daily commute back home. 20 minutes earlier it started with no issue.
    When it happened I was able to roll start it and get home. This morning same behaviour, I stayed at home because I didn't want to roll start again.

I have tested the battery with the engine off, 12.8V. I could go through Art's detailed post (https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,23401.0.html) if I roll start it again and put it on the centre stand for the engine-on tests if you think it's useful

It doesn't look like a stator problem (I changed the stator twice and I couldn't roll start the bike when it was dead)

I have tried with the replacement key just in case it was HISS related, with no success

Any advice on what it could be or more tests to perform? I recently moved to another town and I don't have yet a good mechanic spotted here.

Thanks in advance!

• Online Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    1791

Online Art

• CBF Legend
    • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
    • City / Town: Shoreditch
    Re: Starting problem different than what I've experienced in the past
    Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2022, 07:12:30 pm
    09 November, 2022, 07:12:30 pm
    If the click is a constant fast clicking suspect a battery low voltage issue, the starter relay is switching on-off-on-off and the relay clicks each time it switches on and then immediately switches off due to low voltage then repeats. Fully charge the battery, test the battery, test the charging system.

If its a single dull knock type of click suspect the starter relay or the starter motor. Test the starter relay first, if that's OK test the starter motor.

• Offline Alien

• CBF Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline Alien

• CBF Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2022, 07:18:06 pm
    09 November, 2022, 07:18:06 pm
    Thanks for the quick reply Art. It's indeed a single   click. I will search for the starter relay and starter motor tests and will post what I get from performing said tests

• Offline Alien

• CBF Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline Alien

• CBF Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2022, 11:34:00 am
    10 November, 2022, 11:34:00 am
    Ok so I removed the battery looking for the starter relay but I couldn't manage to remove it to test it. I checked the 30A fuse, though, it's ok

Any hint on how to remove the relay?
    Also, where can I find the starter motor? I read in another post (https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,20995.0.html) that it may get stuck and giving it a couple of hits it may come back to life

Thanks again
    Last Edit: 10 November, 2022, 11:36:16 am by Alien

• Offline Alien

• CBF Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline Alien

• CBF Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2022, 01:08:47 pm
    10 November, 2022, 01:08:47 pm
    I found this doc https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-20%20ELECTRIC%20STARTER.pdf

I will try to follow it to the best of my knowledge/ability and will post the outcome

• Online Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    1791

Online Art

• CBF Legend
    Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2022, 06:02:24 am
    11 November, 2022, 06:02:24 am
    You'll be a wiser man after reading the Electric Starter section from front to back, then follow the step by step troubleshooter on page 20-4  :028:

• Offline Alien

• CBF Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline Alien

• CBF Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2022, 12:58:07 pm
    14 November, 2022, 12:58:07 pm
    Well I had some time to work on it and the bike is fixed now. All it needed were a couple of gentle hits on the starter engine and it started working.
    I still had to roll-start the bike (the battery was down to 12.4V after all the tries I guess). I took it for a 30min ride and after that it starts normally (battery up to 12.9V after the ride)

I'm wondering if it happened due to wear or maybe because the starting button sometimes gets stuck and maybe I didn't notice. I keep lubricating the button with silicone based lubricant but maybe it's time to change it. Sometimes the headlight doesn't turn back on because the button doesn't fully go back to the original position

• Online Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    1791

Online Art

• CBF Legend
    Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2022, 03:40:35 pm
    14 November, 2022, 03:40:35 pm
    Happy days

The starter button will definitely need sorting, it may just need to be dismantled, cleaned and reassembled. If it is fubar there's plenty of very serviceable used switches out there, so no need to pay Honda's reassuringly expensive prices. Take the old switch into you're local motorcycle breaker and you'll find the very same switch and short harness was fitted to many different models.

A tap with a hammer on the starter motor is only a temporary fix that may last some time or may fail again in short order, according to Murphy's Law that will be on a dark, cold and wet winters night miles from anywhere without a hammer. If it was mine I'd have the starter motor off for a deep clean and inspection of the internals to see what's going on.

It's a 16 year old motorcycle, these hints of pending failures need to be looked into.

• Online martins cbf1000   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2337

Online martins cbf1000

• CBF Legend
    • Bike: CBF1000FA Mk 2
    Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2022, 04:38:04 pm
    14 November, 2022, 04:38:04 pm
    Hi if you have to hit the starter motor to get it to work its the motor brushes that are worn out, a gentle tap gets them down a bit further,
    a quick fix before replacing that old school, done this many times on different vehicles.

• Offline Alien

• CBF Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline Alien

• CBF Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2022, 10:19:39 pm
    15 November, 2022, 10:19:39 pm
    The starter button issue is purely mechanical, after lubricating it works fine, I do it 2-3 times per year

I will have the starter motor checked, it's probably too complicated to do it myself.

I have been checking prices for replacement and I find anything from 1000 (honda) to 150. Second hand will be a lottery, I may end with the same issue in a few months