Author Topic: clutch friction zone adjustment question  (Read 523 times)

Offline youk

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
clutch friction zone adjustment question
on: 26 May, 2022, 08:00:58 PM
Hi guys. 

Just wondering if someone can explain to me how to adjust the clutch friction zone on a cbf1000 (MK1).  I've noticed that the friction zone is a little to far extended and would like to have it a little closer.  If it was a cable then it would be easy but given it's hydraulic then it's a entire different situation.  Thank you for any pointers you can provide.

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: clutch friction zone adjustment question
Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2022, 08:12:17 PM
 I think the only adjustment you have is the span adjustment at the clutch lever.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2022, 10:36:09 AM
As above, the only adjustment for the clutch and brake levers, assuming you have the standard levers, is the distance between the tip of the clutch lever and the grip which can be adjusted by turning the adjuster while pushing the lever forward.

Offline youk

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2022, 02:30:36 PM
Thank you for the replies.  That's what I was thinking given I couldn't find anything on the adjustment.  Looks like I'll be picking up some new adjustable levers.  On the bright side, they'll look better than the original ones.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2022, 02:40:14 PM
Say what? The original CBF levers are adjustable, check out page 25 of the Owners Manual normally found clipped to the underside of the pillion seat or section 4 page 28 of the workshop manual. If you’re allowed spanners and you haven't already, you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

Offline youk

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2022, 07:11:53 PM
Thanks but that is to adjust the distance between the lever and the grip, I was looking to change the friction zone so the clutch engages earlier.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2022, 08:00:51 AM
Any new adjustable levers won't do anymore than the original Honda levers do. When the lever is adjusted so that the tip is closer to the handlebar the point in lever travel where the clutch disengages moves closer to the handlebar too! Is that not what you want?

If the clutch disengages too soon the clutch plates will not be fully engaged when the lever is let out resulting in clutch slip, premature wear and a failure waiting to happen.

diverse-leafy