Author Topic: clunky 1st 2nd 3rd gears  (Read 334 times)

Offline BEZ1951

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2006 CBF 1000
  • City / Town: STOKE-ON-TRENT
clunky 1st 2nd 3rd gears
on: 15 May, 2022, 09:55:33 PM
Recently joined and have had my CBF 1000 or 1 month. Done a few hundred miles in that time but notice Clunky 1st-2nd-3rd gears on my 2006 CBF 1000
Without reading the manual again and again I hope someone will know a quick fix.
Hopefully just needs adjustment to the cable.
First post on here, I have had my other bike for 40 years and done all the work on it myself. It is a 1982 cb650 sc-c Nighthawk.
I live in Stoke-on-Trent and passed my test on a BSA C15 in 1967 age 16 because my Royal Enfield Clipper dropped the chain on the way to my test so had to borrow a mates.
Road or owned most of the 60s 70s bikes but settled with my Nighthawk. Many good memories.

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: clunky 1st 2nd 3rd gears
Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2022, 07:08:46 AM
 Hello and  :405:

The clutch is hydraulic, so there is no cable adjustment.

Check the system for any leaks, remove and clean/ inspect the clutch pushrod, carry out fluid flush and change, bleed make sure no air in when complete.
Lubricate clutch lever pivot point.
Check drive train adjustment.
Possibly engine oil change, how old is it?

Quick fix wise I don’t think there is much else to check really.
Most bikes “clunk”into first especially when stationery and when engine is cold.

I am sure there are other things that you could check but are more involved.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: clunky 1st 2nd 3rd gears
Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2022, 09:52:30 AM
 :405:

Reading the manual again and again is essential for the home mechanic to correctly diagnose a fault, quick fixes, especially sourced over the inter web, are mostly money pits involving the willy nilly replacement of perfectly serviceable parts. If you’re allowed spanners and you haven't already, you may want to download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

First gear clunk is normal and is caused by the stationary dog gear engaging with the rotating first gear. Clunking during 2nd and 3rd gear changes indicates a fault which is most probably to do with the drive chain or clutch but could be caused by other failures, start easy and prove where the fault lies.

Check the drive chain for adjustment, lubrication and wear. Is the the drive chain in a good and serviceable condition? Some reading of possible interest here and here

Check the clutch operation - Warm the engine to normal operating temperature, then with the ignition switched off engage 2nd or 3rd gear and keeping the clutch pulled in push motorcycle forward. If there is any resistance or the engine tries to crank the problem is clutch slip where the clutch  is not fully disengaging and could be caused by old or contaminated clutch fluid, old or contaminated engine oil, sticky or worn clutch plates or incorrect specification of engine oil. Another indication of clutch slip is when riding up a gradient in too high a gear and the RPM's increase but the road speed remains constant.

Other causes of clunking when changing into 2nd and 3rd gears could be due to worn or damaged gearbox internals such as selector forks, gear change ratchet mechanism, gear shift drum or gear dogs. All of which is most probably beyond the experience level of the average home mechanic or unqualified mechanic.
Last Edit: 16 May, 2022, 09:57:19 AM by Art

diverse-leafy