Author Topic: cable ties - I am not a fan  (Read 497 times)

Offline neilmartin

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000 2006
  • City / Town: COVENTRY
cable ties - I am not a fan
on: 27 April, 2022, 02:22:18 PM
Hi I am falling in love with my CBF and I am keen to continue to smarten it up a bit. One thing I am not a fan of is using cable ties to secure the fairings so the original bolts etc are missing. Am I being pedantic :156:? If not can someone please recommend where I can get a set of quality replacements? Thank you

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC84
  • City / Town: Newark on Trent
Re: cable ties - I am not a fan
Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2022, 02:58:42 PM
Which fixings are you thinking of ?

You can pickup the (reuseable) pin type plastic fixings - I think I got a bag off the 'bay a good while back.
The bolts you want like-for like, check out the parts microfiche for the spec and either get them from a honda dealer or folk like Probolt.  You need the sleeve type where fitted so as not to damage the plastics.  For the few there are, Honda won't be so much more in cost.
For any pads, I bought some 3M replacements on-line and they were fine.

If you look up Lings or Fowlers or similar for the actual parts you'll be able to identify the actual fixing/s you want.  Plus, with part numbers you can see if it is held as stock (and how much it'll be).
Only do it right - no bodging please.  
Keeper of the (CBF1000) failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2022, 04:57:18 PM
As above really, if its a 'special' fixing you'll most likely only get it from a Honda stockist, there are not too many of them so not likely to break the bank although for what they are they're not cheap. The fixings are:

6mm plastic push pin rivets that secure the small black dash panel trim at the side of the petrol tank and the front centre cowl to side cowls by the radiator, as said cheap as chips off fleeBay and they're designed to be reused but they do go AWOL and/or need replacing from time to time.

M5 flange bolts and special collared washer/spacer securing the front of the side cowl under the headlamp, when fitting just nip them up as they screw into a brass ferrule set in the ABS cowl which is easily pulled out especially on these aging CBF ABS plastics. Top tip - These bolts pass through the front cowl, side cowl stay and side cowl and are a pain to align, so when you've got the side cowls off vertically elongate the holes in the side cowl stays using a round or rat tail file making it possible to align the bolt and ferrule with just two hands.

M6 button head screws with a special stepped shank securing the top and bottom of the side cowls, the two bottom screws are fitted with a special rubber grommet, the rubber grommets perished on mine and I've replaced them with " tap washers.
Last Edit: 27 April, 2022, 05:00:33 PM by Art

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC84
  • City / Town: Newark on Trent
Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2022, 04:29:06 PM
Posted here in the thread in case is useful for anyone else later too.

Neil, you still haven't said which parts it is you are looking for; but I was thinking of these push-clips which are number 31 in this pictorial:-  https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/1000-MOTO/CBF/2012/CBF1000FAC/Frame/FRONT-COWL/60481/F_43/2/14056

Move around such websites to find your particualr model and part.

If you can find your way around the parts lists, you can find almost every part and its official description from Honda.
Everything else, I'd measure.  So if you wanted a particular well-nut, measure the internal hole size.  For any screw (bolt) you need the depth, thread, any shoulder and the head size (as there are some non-standard i.e. oversized heads used sometimes).

Only do it right - no bodging please.  
Keeper of the (CBF1000) failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2022, 05:16:11 PM
Neilmartin has a SC58 CBF1000 6 the correct microfiche is here
Last Edit: 28 April, 2022, 05:17:37 PM by Art