Author Topic: First big bike  (Read 1722 times)

Offline BlueBiffer

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: London
First big bike
on: 16 December, 2021, 01:34:26 PM
Hello all,

I will be collecting my first big bike on Monday - in the form of a 2006 CBF1000 in Silver! Still enjoying the heavily reduced price from ebay auction, let's just hope the bike is all the dealer claims.... rest of my budget has been swallowed up by the insurance.

I'm slightly daunted by the long ride down from the pickup in the Liverpool area to Pembrokeshire, and then to London a few days later. However, I am planning to take my time with plenty of stops for warming up.  :008:

Whatever happens, can't be worse than London to Pembrokeshire on my old 125 - A roads only in the pouring rain!

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: First big bike
Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2021, 02:05:23 PM
 Hello and  :405:  :031:

Offline marvo

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: The Big Smoke
Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2021, 11:39:13 PM
welcome
biffer is a great bike, but do keep an eye on the fuel tank on your first trips :)

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2021, 09:12:43 AM
 :405:
What you have there is a SC58 CBF1000 A-6 an excellent choice for a Sports Tourer that ticks many boxes in its class. If you're allowed spanners a big plus is the ease in which it can be serviced and maintained at home by the home mechanic without the need of any special tools or diagnostic equipment. If you’re allowed spanners and you haven't already, you may want to download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

A 400+ mile ride home should be no problem. A regular sortie for me on my SC58 is the annual RBLR1000 on the Summer Solstice weekend, that's the Royal British Legion's 1,000 miles in 24 hours Poppy Appeal ride in association with the IBA UK, more details here. On fuel tank range the theory is it has a 200 mile range from the four gallon (19L) petrol tank at 50 mpg. In real life that may be a little more or a little less so keep an eye on the fuel gauge and re-fuel as soon as it dips into the red, planning fuel stops every 150 to 180 miles would be the sensible option.

Last Edit: 17 December, 2021, 09:15:47 AM by Art

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: Now Bikeless
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2021, 07:25:16 PM
Welcome. The greatest difference to your 125 - apart from he power! - is the weight. Once moving I'm sure you will enjoy it, but watch your speed at is so easy to go a lot faster than you think you are doing!

However when stopping be careful to ensure the bike is vertical and you get both feet firmly on the ground until you get used to it. ENJOY!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2021, 09:19:28 PM
Yep, what Rev Ken says. And on the subject of weight, on no account let the bike lean away from you when holding it up not mounted, even a little bit. With a 125 you probably wouldn't notice, but on a big bike, trust me, unless you are built like Arnold Swar.. um Charles Atlas, it will go and you won't hold it. But once on the move, all you'll notice about the weight is how stable it is. Can't say I'd like to do that mileage this time of year these days, but hope you enjoy it anyway.

Offline BlueBiffer

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: London
Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2021, 10:25:51 PM
Really appreciate the welcome, thank you.

I will absolutely bear in mind your advice... Flashbacks to my first MOD1 attempt where I managed to drop the bike as we pulled up to the test centre.

Taking everything as a learning experience!  :007:

diverse-leafy