Author Topic: New cbf arriving  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Electric1000

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Cb1000fa
  • City / Town: Port Talbot
New cbf arriving
on: 01 December, 2021, 03:04:52 PM
Hi all
Just bought an 07 plate 9000 miler cbf in top condition…. To be honest after reading all the trouble with stator/reg and such I am worried if I have made the wrong choice even though I love the looks and feel of the bike… any thoughts to ease my worries
Cheers

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC84
  • City / Town: Newark on Trent
Re: New cbf arriving
Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2021, 04:31:55 PM
Worry not.

There are things you can do to keep an eye on it, but enjoy the bike.
Only do it right - no bodging please.  
Keeper of the (CBF1000) failed stator list.   John.

Offline Electric1000

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2021, 04:37:04 PM
Cheers I’m
But what things lol

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #3 on: 02 December, 2021, 07:52:43 AM
 :405:

+1 worry not. What you have there is a SC58 CBF1000 A-7 an excellent under rated choice in the sports tourer class.

There is too much charging system hype on here, by too many folk who know not what they are talking about or doing. The SC58 CBF1000 charging system comprises of four parts - battery, wiring, stator and combined regulator/rectifier. Just like any other charging system parts can fail from time to time, it's the cost of motorcycling.

Charging system failures do not suddenly happen, they progress from good through bad and ugly before a total failure. All you need to do to keep on top of any charging system is to test it from time to time, noting the results for future comparisons. I test the charging system on my SC58 every 4,000 miles at the service interval. If the voltage readings are ever less than expected or previously noted investigate the cause and prove any failure before replacing parts willy nilly. The worse failure you can face is a failed stator, excellent quality after market stators can be had for less than £100 and can be replaced kerbside by a 7 year old child in about 30 minutes.

Read how I test the charging system here with links to Honda and Electrosport Workshop Manuals
Last Edit: 02 December, 2021, 08:02:38 AM by Art

Offline Electric1000

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2021, 08:39:53 AM
Thanks very much for the reply.. I feel a little bit more relaxed now I am picking the bike up in a week or so and my main concern after reading all the horror stories on here was reliability.. the last thing I want is to be stranded in a tour.. I will check the voltage on the day I get her..again thanks just hoping with 9k on the clock there’s plenty of life left in it

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2021, 11:08:56 AM
Your welcome these machines are good for intergalactic mileages, especially if you do your own servicing. That way you know the jobs been done properly with no corner cutting such as you get with dealers.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2021, 11:20:48 AM
Hi & welcome Electric 1000. Probably not totally sane but some of us carry a spare Stator on tours.Wally of Southminster :001:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: Now Bikeless
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2021, 09:23:01 PM
The only reason some owners get obsessed with stator failures is that the rest of the bike is irritatingly reliable for manyyyyyy miles. Many bikes NEVER have any trouble, a very few seem to have more than their fair share of charging problems. The later model (black engine) have a revised oil supply which makes failures even rarer. Just enjoy!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

diverse-leafy