Author Topic: Chain/Sprocket Renewal?  (Read 5289 times)

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Chain/Sprocket Renewal?
on: 18 November, 2021, 06:40:14 PM
Hi All. Bike is now at 19200 miles  & sticker on tail end of swinging arm is indicating ,"Renew Chain" on the very first part or the red section. Rear sprocket looks sound so is it accceptable to renew just the chain? All thoughts gratefully received. "Tightwad"  :001: Ed.
P.s Just how many Chains equates to a sprockets change ? ( efficient chain oiler assumed)
Last Edit: 18 November, 2021, 06:54:32 PM by iNCORRIGIBLE

Offline vinciebhoy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A-8
  • City / Town: Paisley
Re: Chain/Sprocket Renewal?
Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2021, 12:32:16 PM
I'd be surprised if the sprockets aren't showing any sign of wear, I have always changed chain and sprockets when the chain has reached its limit.  :015:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2021, 02:45:52 PM
*Originally Posted by vinciebhoy [+]
I'd be surprised if the sprockets aren't showing any sign of wear, I have always changed chain and sprockets when the chain has reached its limit.  :015:
[/quot
Thanks Vincie.Can see the strength of your approach especially as I have not inspected the front sprocket which ,of course ,will be more worn by my logic. Thanks again Ed. :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2021, 02:49:55 PM
The correct way, and in my opinion the only way, to satisfactorily measure chain wear is by measuring the chain. Do this by applying some tension to the upper chain run so that all slack is taken out of the lower chain run, then measure across the centres of 17 link pins on the lower chain run.

New perfect out of the box CBF 1000 5/8" pitch drive chain such as the DID 530 VX should measure 254 mm across 17 link pins. DID’s service limit is +1% stretch which means that a measurement in excess of 256.5 mm would indicate a replacement chain is due.

Visible wear on the sprockets (gears) is not always easy to assess. One trick is to make cardboard templates of the new sprockets for future wear comparisons. Cost of drive chain and sprocket kit is not so expensive if you shop around. At my last replacement in 2016 I got a DID530VX G&B12ZB, JTF333.16, JTR302.43 chain & sprocket kit from Bike Speed UK for £84.95. eBay is your friend.

At your own risk and assessment if the sprockets are showing little or no sign of wear and there are no issues with the drive chain such as binding, seized links, failed 'X' rings etc  I've been known to leave my chains a little longer to say 1¼% or even 1½% stretch (257 or 258 mm across 17 pins) but you do this at your own risk of any future chain failure. If you're unclear between the difference in 'worn' and 'worn out' stick to the chain manufacturers service limit of 1% stretch (256.5 mm across 17 pins).
Last Edit: 19 November, 2021, 02:50:50 PM by Art

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2021, 03:13:51 PM
Many thanks, Art.Very comprehensive guidance there.Will check & report outcome.Ed.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2021, 04:11:30 PM
Have a read here too and make yourself a chain measuring stick!
Last Edit: 19 November, 2021, 04:13:41 PM by Art

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2021, 05:38:38 PM
I changed my chain and sprockets a month ago on my SC58 at 20900 miles. I had measured as per Art's instructions some time before and estimated it would easily last to around 24000 miles however, as I was going on a 4 day trip I decided to edge on the safe side. I took the swinging arm off at the same time to check and grease the bearings, all was ok but there was not much sign of grease. After taking advice from a local motorcycle repair mechanic/ parts supplier I purchased a CZ 530 DZX chain and RK sprockets from him, he joined the chain for me (saved me buying joining equipment) and I then completed the fitting. The cost was just under £100 all in which I think is good value for a complete new drive system. The original drive sprocket had no sign of any grease on the splines so there was plenty of the red dust, I used molybdenum dark grey grease fitting the new one. The old sprockets showed very little signs of wear. I am very happy with the quality of the new chain/sprockets.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC84
  • City / Town: Newark on Trent
Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2021, 06:09:39 PM
Good info here.

Rick - did you notice any difference afterwards in running/vibes etc ?

iNCORRIGIBLE - I suspect you'll need to inspect the drive spocket carefully to determine wear, as that one is going round n times faster/more.   
{n varies slightly from mkI/mkII but is ~ 2½ ± anything that matters}
Only do it right - no bodging please.  
Keeper of the (CBF1000) failed stator list.   John.

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2021, 06:32:59 PM
No, I didn't notice any real difference in vibes etc. The new drive sprocket has not got the rubber attached on each side, unlike the original one, but again I didn't notice any increase in noise. I suppose if the old equipment had been completely worn out, or had been out of correct adjustment, I probably would have. Some of my motor cycling friends say they would never have a bike without shaft drive, but I point out it will cost them much more than around £100 to change the complete drive system if they get a problem!

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2021, 07:09:45 PM
Hi,jm2.Great input there mate. Suspect the front sprocket is well tired by now & will almost certainly be following the conventional route of replacing chain & sprockets simultaneously. Also helps me explain why my friends also referred to me as being as tight as a Duck's .... ! :001:

diverse-leafy