Author Topic: Can chain  (Read 497 times)

Offline Snave1000

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 08 non abs
  • City / Town: S.wales
Can chain
on: 18 November, 2021, 01:57:44 PM
Hi all, just recently viewed a 41k cbf1000 which I think had a bit of a camchain rattle,are these easy to change ? Iím looking for a service manual in pdf form to see,can anyone point me in the right direction for on?
Many thanks

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Can chain
Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2021, 02:44:33 PM
You can download a workshop/service manual from this site.
Make sure you choose the correct one, ie SC58 or sc64.
Last Edit: 18 November, 2021, 02:45:38 PM by FLIZ

Offline Snave1000

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2021, 04:56:10 PM
Thanks for reply, I did search previously but couldnít find,any idea where can I find it pleaseÖ
Many thanks
Lyndon

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2021, 06:27:42 PM
If you read through some old posts in this section of the forum you will find a couple of links that you can click on to download the manuals, (I donít know how to add the link, sorry) they are highlighted in blue text. Usually posted by Art. ( thank you Art).

If not I am sure Art will be along shortly and he may add the link for you, alternatively you could drop him a pm and he may oblige.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2021, 06:00:21 PM
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Snave1000

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2021, 06:32:28 PM
Thank you v much, really appreciate it

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2021, 12:51:10 PM
Engine rattles can be caused by many things including incorrect valve clearances; worn, sticking or broken valve gear; worn cam chain, tensioner or sprockets etc. Not to be confused with engine knocks caused by piston or cylinder wear; failing con rods, big ends, little ends etc.

Replacing the timing chain is not an easy job and gets very expensive when you add in the costs of the camshaft sprockets and crankshaft sprocket which will most likely need replacing too. It may not end there either if the chain guides and/or chain tensioner are found to be worn.

Honda do not put a service limit on the camshaft timing chain as such, in my experience all engines can suffer from odd rattles from time to time, especially from a cold start or from an initial start after an extended lay up. The most likely cause of timing chain rattle is a worn tensioner rather than a worn chain but it could be both or something completely different so further investigation would be necessary to determine the cause of the rattle. My advise is to inspect the timing chain, sprockets and tensioner for signs of wear when carrying out the 16,000 mile valve clearance checks and hope all is well especially on higher mileage engines or where the service history is unclear. Other points to note are using the correct grade of engine oil and the oil change intervals.

The bottom line is if in any doubt walk away, there are more than enough mechanically sound CBF1000's out there for buyers to choose from.
Last Edit: 20 November, 2021, 12:58:02 PM by Art

Recent Posts

diverse-leafy