Author Topic: Check engine light blinking patterns  (Read 514 times)

Offline Jeroen195

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000F
Check engine light blinking patterns
on: 28 September, 2021, 10:08:48 PM
Hi! First off, I'm new at this forum and my question might already have been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it on the forum. If I should ask the question somewhere else or it is already answered in another topic, my apologies and please let me know where :002:

I've visited a dealer to purchase a Honda CBF1000F (2011) today. The bike has a few scratches as can be expected of a 10-year old bike, but nothing major. During the test drive I noticed that the check-engine light doesn't turn off and when I wasn't driving and the contact was on the light is blinking in a pattern of 3 times fast, 3 times slow. I've looked around a lot, but I can't find a clear description what this code means. I assume it's the same as the MIL-code which means it would stand for error code 33, but I can't find what code 33 means. Does anyone know where to find this?

The dealer said the issue would be fixed before they deliver the bike and I'm sure they can get rid of the error code, but I'd like to know what the code means so I know if they actually fixed the issue or just got rid of the error. Provided that they can fix the issue I can pick up my new bike next week, so I'd like to find out what the issue is before that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last Edit: 28 September, 2021, 10:09:37 PM by Jeroen195

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF Master
Re: Check engine light blinking patterns
Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2021, 11:03:20 PM
If correct ? then all I can find on DTC code 33 is:

"ECM does not hold the self diagnostic data due to a faulty E2-PROM in ECM"

So presumably a new ECM is required unless an new EEPROM can be soldered to the board ??

If thats the problem (??) then make sure it's fixed as the full ECM could be serious money if the EEPROM cannot be replaced on it's own.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2021, 11:55:26 PM
 :405:

I'm thinking you're confusing the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) indicator lamp with the Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). The ABS lamp is the 2nd from left, the PGM-FI lamp is 2nd from right.

ABS DTC 33 - Solenoid valve malfunction, faulty ABS modulator.

Last Edit: 29 September, 2021, 12:04:53 AM by Art

Offline Jeroen195

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2021, 08:41:55 AM
Hello Admin and Art,

Thank you for your replies!

So presumably a new ECM is required unless an new EEPROM can be soldered to the board ??
I think that there's a good chance that this is the issue. I did find it already, but I thought the DTC was something else since any guide that describes something regarding the DTC code requires you to connect some sort of service tool or data link connector.

I'm thinking you're confusing the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) indicator lamp with the Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). The ABS lamp is the 2nd from left, the PGM-FI lamp is 2nd from right.
No it's actually the second one, the PGM-FI or MIL then as you described. The second light from the right, its icon is the 'check engine' light icon.

I do find it strange that the error codes are so hard to find. At Honda they obviously programmed the blinking light error codes to make it easier to troubleshoot what's wrong with it, but the error code list is not exactly easy to find. I'll try to contact Honda today as well to see if they can give me a clear answer, I'll post an update when I know more. Thanks a lot so far!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2021, 09:59:17 AM
OK so confirmed it is the PGM-FI MIL.

It is not necessary to connect a Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) pocket tester or a Honda Service Check Short (SCS) connector tool to read the Diagnostic Trouble Codes. As you have experienced any current DTC's are flashed on the PGM-FI MIL when the ignition is turned on, any stored DTC's can be flashed on the PGM-FI MIL using nothing more than a paperclip! Link here How 2 read DTC's without any special tools or software

Back to DTC 33. It may just be a temporary fault caused by the motorcycle being parked up for some time. With no specific DTC 33 listed for the CBF1000 what the workshop will do is to note the current DTC, check and note any stored DTC's, clear all DTC's, restart the engine in the hope the DTC does not return. They may also disconnect, clean and reconnect all ECU and sensor connectors and terminals. I'd walk away from this one because there may be no way of you knowing whether or not the DTC 33 is temporary, intermittent, recurring or something more sinister such as failed ECM circuitry components. The last thing you want is for it to pop up again the day after the warranty expires, which on a 10 year old mo'cycle is likely to be as short as 12 weeks.
Last Edit: 29 September, 2021, 10:51:23 AM by Art

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF Master
Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2021, 03:59:46 PM
Actually Art is correct, is there not another bike you can find ?  I'd be tempted to avoid that one.

Offline Jeroen195

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2021, 10:30:13 AM
Thanks for the replies Art and Admin! I was indeed thinking of skipping this one and look for another, but when I read the terms and conditions I already agreed to by signing the buying contract (smart, I know), I had to pay 15% of the total price upon cancelling. So instead I figured I'd just wait and see what they said about the MIL indicator. They said the MIL light was on because the servomotor that controls a valve in the exhaust was incorrectly connected. I can pick the CBF1000 up next saturday, so I guess I'll just go see and hope for the best!

It would have been tricky to find another one though, since this one is exactly the execution I was looking for. It's a red MK2 CBF1000 complete with 3 original cases. I also managed to get 9 months warranty, so if anything is still wrong I suppose (and hope) the MIL will come back on within that period.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2021, 04:47:02 PM
*Originally Posted by Jeroen195 [+]
They said the MIL light was on because the servomotor that controls a valve in the exhaust was incorrectly connected.

Did they? In my book a DTC 34 or 35 fault would relate to the Exhaust Gas Control Valve POTentiometer.

DTC 34-1 EGCV POT low voltage malfunction
Loose or poor contact of the EGCV connector
EGCV or its circuit malfunction

DTC 34-2
EGCV POT high voltage malfunction

DTC 35-1
EGCV malfunction
Loose or poor contact of the EGCV connector
EGCV lock

I thought we were talking about a DTC 33 fault which relates to the Engine Control Module Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory

DTC 33 = ECM EEPROM malfunction

If you haven't already you may want to download the SC64 CBF1000F Workshop Manual Section 5 page 19 would be you first port of call, from there on it can look a little daunting but its all very doable with a paper clip, jumper lead and multimeter.