Author Topic: New bike - debating.  (Read 838 times)

Offline paulca

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bangor
New bike - debating.
on: 23 September, 2021, 03:54:52 PM
Hi guys,

It's time for a new bike.  Looking firmly at the "rugged commuter" bike, aka "Adventure bikes with road tyres".  I am also going to buy new for the first time.

Straight out in the lead is the NC750X.
Looks good.  Cheap.  Powerful in a "just enough" kinda way.   I am a little concerned it's quite "low" seated and won't give me that raised up above the cars feel I am after.  Also concerned that after owning a biffer, the little half Honda Jazz parallel twin would be dull.

The Africa twin, especially the adventure sport model looks awesome, but maybe a bit "too" off roady, although it does have active suspension which might stop the headlight pointing into the road infront of you on the brakes.  It is rather pricey though, I don't think it's worth it for the off roading focus that I will nearly never use.

The VFR1200X.  Awesome looking bike.  More power than most of the cars I have owned.  I always like the BMW GS, but just couldn't consider buying one.
The downsides of the big 1200X is... it's a monster.  It's huge, it's heavy, it's not nimble, it's a mile muncher and commuting on it would surely get tiresome.

Sadly they took the VFR800X off the euro market :(

There are others asides, like Suzuki VStrom 1000.  BMW GS, though I doubt I buy one, kwak versys 650, BMW F800?

Any other suggestions?

Is there a suggested recent DCT pros-cons thread anywhere, I'm tempted, would love to test drive on, but can't find one locally yet for a test drive.

In terms of off-road ability I would like...  Being able to drive up a 3 or 4 inch kerb without having to stop to do so.  Being able to smooth out speed bumps so you don't have to slow down for them.  Handling a hardpack gravel road with a few potholes.   Bounced in and out of pot holes commuting. Nothing more.
Last Edit: 23 September, 2021, 03:58:29 PM by paulca

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Re: New bike - debating.
Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2021, 12:52:09 PM
There's also the Triumph Tiger 1200 with shaft drive and the slickest quick shifter on the market. Probably some bargains around as there's a new model on its way.
I considered most of the bikes you mentioned before choosing the biffer but most adventure bikes are too tall for me as I don't consider bikes where I'm not flat footed. (5'9", 30" inside leg)
The Tiger 900 has excellent reviews.
Due to cost of parts and repairs outside of warranty and reliability issues I would never entertain another BMW. I've had two 1200RT 's.
I've also read of riders complaining about having to look through the screen on the Africa Twin.
Last Edit: 25 September, 2021, 12:55:13 PM by knapdog
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Jlangf0r

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 FA-A
  • City / Town: Cambridge
Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2021, 01:39:33 AM
What about the new Suzuki GSX-S1000GT? On paper it looks very close to what the CBF might have looked like if Honda was still making it in 2021. The claimed weight of 226 kg is manageable, while cruise control and integrated navigation on the dashboard would be handy for touring.

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2021, 08:10:31 AM
*Originally Posted by Jlangf0r [+]
What about the new Suzuki GSX-S1000GT? On paper it looks very close to what the CBF might have looked like if Honda was still making it in 2021. The claimed weight of 226 kg is manageable, while cruise control and integrated navigation on the dashboard would be handy for touring.

Looks really nice but I wouldn't be surprised if, just like the Kawasaki Ninja 1000sx, you can't have a top Box with the side panniers.
The seat height of 31.9" would be too tall for me as well.
I'd still like to sit on one though.
Last Edit: 26 September, 2021, 08:11:29 AM by knapdog
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Kentcolin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000GT
  • City / Town: Rochester
Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2021, 12:12:31 PM
I've noticed that Triumph do a version of the Tiger 900 called the 900GT low which has a seat height of between 30 and 31 inches. Manageable weight too.

Offline paulca

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bangor
Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2021, 04:58:47 PM
Thanks guys.  I've been round the houses and back.  Keep getting caught in trade offs and "nice to haves".

I have test rode the NC750X.  Completely different bike to the biffer.  No where near the grunt or rev range, but it does pull at low revs surprisingly well.  It does require more attention to what gear your are in and I hit the rev limiter (6500?) twice.  Makes a nice noise too.  Has that lovely big twin "BLAP and THUMP" noise.

I got side tracked with the onroad/offroad balance, but realised 99.9% of my riding is on road.  0.1% hard pack gravel lanes.  So I certainly don't need a tenree or a transalp.  A little more than the CBF so it can mount a kerb or two, but not much.

The hardest to come to decision on was mid-range bike versus litre+.  Litre+ bikes have the same wide torque curves like the biffer and produce insane amounts of output at 8000+ rpm.  Far more than I need 1 up with 90% urban/carriageway and 10% motorway.  The downside is weight and low ground clearance.  Summed up by someone who said 1000+ adverture bikes are mostly sports-tourers in camping shorts, especially with the Euro 5 exhausts under the belly in a few of them.

The mid range are lighter, easier commuters, CHEAPER, which when you add some options starts to make a difference between 8000 for a mid range and 15,000 for a big tourer with a few extras and luggage options.  They pull "well enough" if you don't mind being in the right gear all the time.  Fuel economy is in another universe to the litre bikes.

People say choose between your heart and your head.  I think for us men, it's more complicated.  There is the competitive-ness, the more is better, etc.

My heart said Wow!  To the NC750X, my head said, that's a perfectly practical budget solution that meets you needs.  My competitive side said, "MORE POWER!  MORE TECH!  BIGGER IS BETTER!"

I think the later might be wrong.

Online ushirlo

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000f
Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2021, 05:04:04 PM
mt09 tracer....
ae..............

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2021, 01:10:52 PM
Well put Paulca, I have looked at lots of alternatives but then come back to my 2009 CBF and think for the money is an alternative really much better than what I've got. Yes the alternatives are better in some respects but worse in others ! 

Offline Philby21

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-8
  • City / Town: Flint
Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2021, 10:07:20 PM
I know quite a few folks who have the NC750X and they seem to absolutely love them, it seems to be one of those bikes that Honda just got right.

And be glad it has LED lights, I tried changing a headlight bulb on a friend's Crossrunner (similar front cowl design) and damn near stripped all the skin off my fingers!  Probably didn't help that it was around 11pm on a dark driveway!

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2021, 10:41:43 PM
I had my Biffer for 7 years and was sad to accept it had got too heavy for me. I tried an NC700 when they first came out, but couldn't get on with it. They have improved a lot since then. My choice was my first BMW, a F800GT with the Rotax engine. 90bhp, but higher geared than the Biffer which caused me to stall a few times as although it has a fair spread of torque can't match the Biffer. (5th gear is exactly the same as my Biffer's top gear!)

It is more reliable than the Boxer engines and is very economical. I wouldn't try riding one up a 4" curb, but there are F800 models that have more off road capabilities.

Enjoy as many test rides as you can before making your decision!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.