Author Topic: Dropping into false neutral going from 5th to 6th gear.  (Read 282 times)

Offline atticusfbf

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: cbf1000
Dropping into false neutral going from 5th to 6th gear.
on: 12 September, 2021, 12:17:40 PM
Hey Guys,

I have recently joined this community after looking for solutions to the issue in the title. Been so worried about it I asked in the new members section in which a nice person called @Art has got back to me  :002: . Thought best to ask in this section of the forum so I don't pollute the new members section and get more than one opinion.

When I kick the gear lever to go from 5th to 6th gear it sometimes misses 6th, goes into a false neutral state and then I hear a horrible crunching sound as I let out the clutch. I quickly pull in the clutch, drop down the gear and let it out again. This will fix the issue so I can try again.

I have found a solution to fixing this issue: I will keep the gear lever up with my foot as I move from 5th to 6th gear and let out the clutch. Works every time! However, this is clearly not normal so I have a few questions.

What could be causing this?
     Could I be causing more damage to the bike by keeping the gear lever up when I let out the clutch?

I plan to get this fixed as soon as possible but would like to know roughly where to look before doing anything. Additionally, I need to use my bike to get around so I have to use my quick fix for now so would like to know if I am causing more damage. Surely a held up gear lever is better than a horrible crunching sound  :027:?

Thanks in advance for the help. As you can imagine it is killing me that my baby is suffering and I don't know what to do :003:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Dropping into false neutral going from 5th to 6th gear.
Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2021, 03:41:27 PM
Lubricating the pivots and ball joints is about as quick as it gets and should take no more than about 15 minutes or 30 minutes if you need a tea break halfway through  :016:

diverse-leafy