Author Topic: Hey Guys!  (Read 324 times)

Offline atticusfbf

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: cbf1000
Hey Guys!
on: 11 September, 2021, 11:37:16 AM
Hey Guys,  :158:

Been riding about on my cbf1000 for a few months now and loving it. Don't listen to the haters saying it's a boring bike.

Found this website as I was researching a problem I have been having and can't find an answer: I have started needing to keep my gear lever up as I let the clutch out going from 5 to 6th gear, or the gear does not engage sometimes and I hear a horrible crunch.

What part of the website would be the best to ask about this? I assume in maintenance?

Sorry to jump instantly into a question but as you can imagine I am really worried about this as I have not had the bike that long.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Hey Guys!
Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2021, 09:23:44 AM
 :405:

The CBF1000 has to be one of the most under rated motorcycles of 21st Century.

Assuming you're selecting the gears correctly false neutrals are normally associated with sloppy gear linkage pivots or ball joints. The gear linkage comprises two pivots and four ball joints and they're not covered in the Honda Service Schedule. I'd start off removing the two pivots to clean and repack them with a LM2 lithium based multi purpose grease or similar. Next pull back the four ball joint gators and repack them with a red rubber grease or LM2 if that's' all you have to hand.

If you’re allowed spanners and you haven't already, you may want to download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

Offline atticusfbf

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: cbf1000
Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2021, 11:58:50 AM
Thank you for your reply @Art. I have to say thus far I agree with your comment about the cbf1000 as much as I can. This is the first big bike I have had so don't have much to compare it with  :002:; however, I have been impressed with everything except the current issues I am having. One thing which surprises me is the number of places you read which describes it as a boring bike, I just don't understand why  :027:.

Regarding your suggestion for fixing my issue:

I will do exactly as you say since I think this makes sense. Strange it only happens occasionally going from 5th to 6th gear. Do you know if me holding the gear lever up is doing more damage to the bike? Is it ok to do this until I properly fix the gear lever?

Will ask the same question in one of the other rooms since I don't want to pollute this thread.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:14:52 PM
It should be fine but there are no guarantees greasing will cure the issue. You really should get a round tuit ASAP in case the fault lies somewhere else.

diverse-leafy