Author Topic: MK1 Exhaust silencers - how are they fitted ?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline TheRenéLouis

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: MK1 CBF1000A
Re: MK1 Exhaust silencers - how are they fitted ?
Reply #20 on: 14 November, 2021, 12:27:24 PM
Here is the picture (Better late than never...). I've ridden a little bit since re-fitting it, and the muffler is still there on the bike :152: .

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #21 on: 14 November, 2021, 11:09:42 PM
Happy Days. Just need to get rid of the Harley Davidson reference on the number plate.

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #22 on: 15 November, 2021, 11:08:32 AM
Removed my exhausts a month ago to check and grease the swinging arm bearings; after reading Art's recommendation bought and used RTV high temp silicone when remounting the exhausts. All works fine however, it made me wonder if the sealant hardens off and makes the process of exhaust removal next time around a more difficult task ? 

Online Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #23 on: 15 November, 2021, 12:12:41 PM
Wonder no more Rick, it doesn't, the exhausts are removed the same as before.

Loosen clamps, remove mounting bolt, support and turn exhaust on pipe to break the seal noting that it turns on its axis at the pipe joint and in a wider arc at the tail end. The pipe joint is a gas tight seal so as before requires a little gentle persuasion, turn the exhaust back and forth while applying gentle pressure to ease it off the pipe.
Last Edit: 15 November, 2021, 12:16:23 PM by Art

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #24 on: 17 November, 2021, 10:41:28 AM
Thanks for the reply Art. The offside the tubular gasket is correctly bonded to the cat pipe, however on the nearside it has now bonded into the rear silencer pipe,started to degrade, and is more difficult to put back into place; this was before I used any additional sealant. This time around the silicone sealant made a good job of making an instant seal. My bike is now 12 year old so perhaps I will have to replace the gaskets after the rear pipes have been removed for maintenance reasons next few times around.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #25 on: 17 November, 2021, 02:49:27 PM
Mines 15 years old and I've never replaced any of the gaskets and one or two have been off and on more than once. The exhausts have been off and back on three times now, removed carefully and any damage to the packing is minimal which the RTV takes care of.

Recent Posts

diverse-leafy