Author Topic: MK1 Exhaust silencers - how are they fitted ?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline TheRenéLouis

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: MK1 CBF1000A
MK1 Exhaust silencers - how are they fitted ?
on: 15 August, 2021, 04:53:22 PM
Hi all,

Following an incident where I have been rear-ended recently, I've had the right hand side exhaust silencer replaced on my MK1.

I have today noticed that the way the new right hand side silencer is mounted is slightly different than the left hand side (which remained unchanged as un-damaged). By slightly different I mean that the silencer was placed on the inside on the frame.  :087:

I have attached a picture of each side of the bike showing the different order of components going from the outside towards the centre of the bike:

- on the left hand side: bolt, spacer, exhaust silencer, frame, pannier support, nut (hidden on picture)

- on the right hand side: bolt, spacer, frame, exhaust silencer, pannier support, nut (hidden on picture),

Hence my question: which is correct as per Honda design  :084: ?

Having had both silencers previously mounted as per the left side one, I never really wondered (though it does make the silencers protrude out of the bike on the sides..), but now I am wondering as the new silencer seems to fit fine and looks a bit tighter to the bike. Not a big deal to fix to get both sides the same way but thought I'd ask how are your (original) silencers mounted, or how are they supposed to be, before taking the toolbox out.

Thanks  :002:
Last Edit: 15 August, 2021, 04:55:45 PM by TheRenéLouis

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: MK1 Exhaust silencers - how are they fitted ?
Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2021, 05:11:48 PM
 :405:

Schoolboy error, some folks shouldn't be allowed spanners :210:

The left hand side is incorrect, the right hand side is correct. If you’re allowed spanners and you haven't already, you may want to download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here. Section 3 FRAME/BODY PANELS/EXHAUST SYSTEM page 12 should be of interest. Note you'll have to release the lower exhaust silencer clamp to refit it correctly, apply some high temperature RTV sealant to the gasket and it should be OK to reuse.

The exhausts should be mounted on the inside, if a picture speaks a thousand words...

Last Edit: 15 August, 2021, 05:24:54 PM by Art

Offline TheRenéLouis

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2021, 06:43:08 PM
Thanks very much for the reply and the links to the manuals, very handy to have (turns out I actually had the link already but did not even think to check before posting)! And for the tip about using RTV sealant.

Re-assuruing at least to know the new silencer was fitted correctly by the Honda dealer!

Thanks  :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2021, 06:47:46 PM
Honda dealer, insurance claim, top dollar. I'm surprised a Honda dealer would not have spotted and re-fitted the left silencer as a courtesy job.
Last Edit: 15 August, 2021, 06:48:57 PM by Art

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2021, 04:42:32 PM
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Honda dealer, insurance claim, top dollar. I'm surprised a Honda dealer would not have spotted and re-fitted the left silencer as a courtesy job.
It probably wasn't on the job sheet !

But really, are you that surprised: I'm afraid main dealer, insurance dollars still does not equate to top job as it ought to - even if they got their fitment right this time.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2021, 05:50:24 PM
Maybe I'm living in the past, its what we would have done back in the day when my Father had his Honda Workshop.

Offline TheRenéLouis

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2021, 09:05:51 AM
Nope, top dollar does not always mean top job sadly... To be honest garages seem very busy at the moment, I booked the repairs around the 10th June, the first date available then was 23rd July (ended up going on 30th July), so I would not be surprised if they stick to what is on the job list, then clear the workshop for another bike..

I had a brief look yesterday see if I could correct it myself, but I can't fit the exhaust the correct way, the hole on the silencer fitting point does not align with the bolt. On closer look the lower pipe to the muffler is slightly bent (has probably been when so it could fit the wrong way).

The bike is going back to the workshop on Thursday so will mention it and see if they can do something about it (at least something else than fitting a new muffler, costing £590 a side!).
Last Edit: 17 August, 2021, 09:07:14 AM by TheRenéLouis

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2021, 11:20:46 AM
It's hard to visualise how the exhaust silencer bracket could be fitted to the outer side and still line up at the lower pipe. Any idea who fitted it like that?

Offline TheRenéLouis

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2021, 02:04:01 PM
Nope, no idea who originally fitted them that way. I bought the bike in September 2019 and it was already done that way on both sides (mind you, the mufflers did look a bit wider than necessary, but I never really thought much about it).

The bike was fitted with Honda panniers and top box when I bought it, so I am wondering if the exhaust got mocked up when those accessories were added. I'll add a picture (once I've taken it) of the lower pipe and how it seems a bit bent.
Last Edit: 17 August, 2021, 02:04:40 PM by TheRenéLouis

Offline TheRenéLouis

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2021, 07:50:14 PM
Well as per my previous post, here is a picture of the lower muffler (the pipe leading to the muffler). The underneath has a bit of a dent, it looks to me that this allows the muffler to point a bit outwards.
Last Edit: 17 August, 2021, 07:50:45 PM by TheRenéLouis

diverse-leafy