Author Topic: long time away need some advice please.  (Read 493 times)

Offline keeny

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Risca Newport
long time away need some advice please.
on: 01 August, 2021, 12:32:34 PM
Hi all, for one reason or another my 09 CBF has been sat in my garage for 5 years or so without being started once.
 There is old fuel in the tank which I will need to clean out but apart from that what is the best procedure to follow?
I have no idea where to start or what to do or not to do :003:
I take it trying to start it would be a bad move.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Chris.

ps. I also left a ybr 125 in the same condition  :034:

Offline stevenshunter2

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: wigan
Re: long time away need some advice please.
Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2021, 06:46:54 PM
Does the engine turn over ok ,if it does then new fuel fully charged battery and try it .

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2021, 10:00:26 PM
If you need to ask its probably best you enlist hands on help from someone who is competent in what they're doing.

There will be much to do other than having a serviceable battery and fresh fuel before lighting the blue touch paper.

If it was mine I'd fully charge the battery in the unlikely event that it will take and hold a charge or replace it if it don't. I'd check the inside of the petrol tank and drain, clean and re-fuel with fresh fuel as required.  Just for kicks and curiosity at this point I might crank the engine and see if it fires up while keeping an eye on the oil pressure warning light. I'd expect it to flood at first due to stale fuel in the fuel lines, not a problem as the flooded engine start procedure should clear any remnants of stale fuel. Assuming the engine eventually fires up and the oil pressure is good and there is nothing untoward to note such as rattles, clangs, bangs, seized piston rings, seized valves etc and its firing on all 4 cylinders. Then I'd commence the real recommissioning work of a full on proper service including all fluids replaced, compression test and spark plugs as well as a pre-MOT test inspection before booking it in and running it over to the local MOT tester for the real thing.

Obviously you'll need insurance to ride it on public roads. For the purpose of obtaining an MOT you can ride it on public roads to a local MOT test centre without a current MOT or Tax (which you can't get without the MOT).
Last Edit: 01 August, 2021, 10:09:59 PM by Art

Offline keeny

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Risca Newport
Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2021, 06:17:44 AM
Thanks for the replies, I haven't attempted to start the bike yet I need to clean the tank out of the remaining bad fuel which smells really odd, and start from there.

Cheers Chris.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2021, 05:09:58 PM
It is worth checking the age of your tyres as it is recommended you replace them after 5 years, depending on whether they have been exposed to UV light. Just check carefully there isn't any crazing of cracks on the tyre walls or cracks at the base of the treads. Whatever you decide, then check them again after your first ride!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

diverse-leafy