Author Topic: 06 CBF1000 misfire  (Read 825 times)

Offline honda_iain

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '06 CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Lincoln
06 CBF1000 misfire
on: 23 July, 2021, 08:05:48 PM
Hi All

My 06 CBF1000 has a misfire that sounds like fuel starvation.  20 miles later bike stopped..  pressed starter to restart but all was dead. Recovered it home and tested battery, it had 12,4V.. Still no go... Could it be the stater???

All ideas welcome

TIA  Iain.

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: 06 CBF1000 misfire
Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:44:25 PM
A starter motor problem wouldn’t have caused the misfire or the bike to break down whilst out riding it.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2021, 08:12:29 AM
Generally speaking breakdowns don't suddenly happen and there are normally clues leading up to a problem, in your case the misfire is most probably a clue. However since you're now experiencing a 'no crank no start' fault the misfire may be a red herring. I'd first inspect and test the starter motor and its electrical circuits, how to do this and more is explained in the Workshop Manual. If you’re allowed spanners and you haven't already, you may want to download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

If the starter motor and its electrical circuits are all good it may be worthwhile checking if there are any current or stored fault codes in the PGM-FI system. You don't need any special tools or software to read the codes and the method is mostly explained in the workshop manual but I've also explained it here

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2021, 04:45:41 PM
You need to define
...  pressed starter to restart but all was dead ...
Do you get all the expected idiot lights up and headlight nice & bright when you switch on ?
Is it cranking but failing to start ?

What tools to you have at your disposal.
- multimeter, battery charger, full snap-on transit on the driveway ?

Edit: for folk above, I think Iain may have been thinking of stator issues rather than a starter-motor problem (possibly).
Last Edit: 24 July, 2021, 04:51:29 PM by jm2
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:50:46 PM
Oops. Good spot jm2. I did read it as “starter” I think you are correct in pointing out Iain probably was meaning stator.   :028:

Offline honda_iain

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2021, 03:20:30 PM
*Originally Posted by jm2 [+]
Edit: for folk above, I think Iain may have been thinking of stator issues rather than a starter-motor problem (possibly).

Thanks for your answers so far..
Had to wait for son to answer questions as I am inept with computers... But pretty good with a spanner. (I have Many, Many shiny spanners, some oily ones too.)

Anyway back on plan..  Got bike home, took battery off and charged.  Checked reg/rec, all in order..  Checked STATOR (not starter, sorry) all was OK.  Next day I did 10 miles, it stopped again.. This time instrument panel flashing on and off until I stopped. Retrieved home again..... Charged battery/fitted.  Started engine, volt meter across battery shows 11.6 Volts.. So testing everything again. Up to date as of now..

Many Thanks

Iain  :087:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2021, 03:34:30 PM
(Stator failed)

Go throught the full 'is it charging' process and work from there.

Stick your voltmeter accross the battery, note the voltage (Vo).  Start the bike (warm as desired), switch on full beam also and then rev the bike to 5,000rpm and note V2, allow to idle for a bit and note V1.

If it never gets to 14v then it isn't charging. If it is > 15.5v then the R/R is suspect.
I'd expect your idle to be running to be near 13.8v without main beam, without fan running.

After this, if as suspected your voltages are all low, you can test the stator coils.  But by then you'll have come to realise you are heading for my list and could just open her up and see for yourself.
The test is each Y to another Y should be good but nothing to earth/chassis/0v once the R/R end plug is on it's own.  So have three circuit coils intact not shorting to frame.

If you want a hand, I'm at Newark - any sunny day is game !  Easier if you are have the shiney spanners and meter.

EDIT as in, I can come out to you travelling light.
Last Edit: 26 July, 2021, 03:41:10 PM by jm2
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2021, 04:12:02 PM
I read that as starter too.

An offer you can't refuse from jm2, don't forget to grease his palm with a go go juice voucher
Last Edit: 26 July, 2021, 04:13:52 PM by Art

Offline honda_iain

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2021, 04:56:22 PM
Hi All..

Having spoken to JM2 on and off, we have found that it was the stator (not starter) that was at fault..  Been waiting for a new one to arrive..  Arrived yesterday, all fitted and now working properly again..

@JM2..  When I took it apart it was not the original stator..

Will post a couple of pictures (when I figure out how)

Thanks for all your help

Iain. :047: :047:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2021, 10:38:36 PM
I thought you were doing well with that mileage   :001:
- was it 41 or 61k (I forget now).

Job is a good un.

Now don't be a stranger on the forum   :110: