Author Topic: Curious about the FAD, FAE and FAG models.....anyone know more?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
*Originally Posted by inblues [+]
... Maybe that "C" stands for "COMBINED"? ...    I don't know...

Certainly not!  With the SC64 models being identified as FA, FAA, FAB and FAC its clear that the last character follows the VIN year code sequence, this last character also follows on from the SC58 sequence which pretty much nails it as the VIN year code. It's also fairly certain the centre character A in the three character identifier codes stands for ABS which would also follow on from the SC58 sequence. Which raises two questions...

1) Was the SC64 available with ABS as an option in 2010 or is the FA model another of the unicorn models?

2) What does the first identifier character F stand for if not Facelift?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF Master
*Originally Posted by Art [+]

2) What does the first identifier character F stand for if not Facelift?

Just like the VIN I'm thinking it refers to the factory where built/assembled, namely the one in Italy at Atessa.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
This answering-the-far-end-of-a-fart pendency comes up on other forums too. Honda have to keep some secrets to themselves!

"Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

We use these letters to distinguish between different versions of the motorcycles within a given series – in this case the CBR series. The letters rarely stand as abbreviations for specific words. It in an internal way for classifying models which possess certain features.

Thank you for contacting Honda UK. If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Ivona Petrova

Honda Customer Service"

(from a CBR forum). Case closed.
Last Edit: 08 July, 2021, 11:23:47 AM by Shed

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
Just like the VIN I'm thinking it refers to the factory where built/assembled, namely the one in Italy at Atessa.

Just a coincidence I think. The F character in part distinguishes the SC64 from the SC58 which was also assembled at the same plant but doesn't include the F character in its identifier.

F for Facelift is far more Feasible (see what I did there) but like Shed points out it could simply be a random letter plucked from thin air. Although having worked in factories where such identifiers are used there is always some logic or meaning behind them. The response from Honda UK is probably just their way of saying 'we don't know' .
Last Edit: 08 July, 2021, 12:29:10 PM by Art