Author Topic: Bar end weights  (Read 416 times)

Offline Sabes

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: Havant
Bar end weights
on: 04 July, 2021, 05:12:56 PM
Hey guys,

Getting quite a bit of vibration through the handlebars on my 12 plate Biffer causing pins and needles and numbness mainly in my left hand  forefinger and thumb but also to a lesser extent in my right hand. Front wheel has been balanced and there is no warp on the discs. So..... I'm thinking of changing the bar end weights (BEW). I need to go out without them in first to see what the difference is but in looking for replacement BEW's, I don't see that you can vary the weight of them.  Any of you know where i can get some from that would be heavier than those fitted as originals?

cheers

Mark

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Bar end weights
Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2021, 08:41:49 AM
Your 12 plate CBF could be either an SC58 or an SC64 (edit: I now notice it is a FAC so SC64)

Assuming the Handlebars, bar end weights and grips are all original and have not been interfered with in any way I'd be looking elsewhere for the cause of any excessive vibration. Assuming you're not over gripping the bars my prime suspect would be the engine mountings.

I may be talking out of my hat here but I seem to remember there was an issue with engine mountings. The SC58 engine mountings had steel washers and the SC64 engine mountings had aluminum washers, the idea being the aluminum washers absorbed more engine vibrations than the steel washers and lessened the 4,000 to 5,000 RPM range vibration experienced by some SC58 owners. The downside of this was that over time the aluminum washers would crush resulting in a loosened mounting which if not re-torqued could cause excessive vibration throughout the mo'cycle.

I have also seen issues where engine bars or crash bungs have been fitted and the mo'cycle has been dropped causing damage to the engine bar/crash bung fitting, mounting bolt or engine lug which could also cause excessive vibration throughout the mo'cycle.

Check all the engine mounting points.

Last Edit: 05 July, 2021, 09:11:17 AM by Art

Offline Sabes

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: Havant
Re: Bar end weights
Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2021, 07:32:57 PM
Thanks Art. it does have OXford heated grips fitted (on there when i bought it) so that is one change. The other is that i took the engine bars off to have them resprayed due to some rust patches. Pretty sure all the washers went back on.

I'm gonna try no weights in the bars first and see what happens then but I will check the mounts.

cheers

Mark

diverse-leafy